Another bamboo guy....

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
I just joined this site today and I really enjoy fishing/casting bamboo rods! I have 60+ vintage blue collar bamboo rods and way more vintage reels....nothing spendy, made to fish with. I redo eBay rods and some new blanks. Maybe in a few years when I retire I’ll build my own bamboo....but that will cut into my fishing time and do I really need more?....(probably) Lately I’ve been making on piece rods eliminating the ferrules and using scarf joints, better flex, lighter and never having to line up the sections or worry about loose ferrules. A little bit of a pain to transport but a blast to fish/cast with! I also have made around 30 swelled mortised grips using different hard woods, I call my rods “Hotrodz of Burien”

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hello,

Your description depicts quite a craftsman, I know that rods are notoriously hard to photograph but feel free to show some of your work. We have a great bunch of rod and reel collectors & users here and I'm sure your contributions will be appreciated.

Ard

okaloosa

Reaction score
Bamboo rods can be such works of art....
That first one is truly amazing,
I love the way the pattern of the wood just blends right into the bamboo...
very elegant....

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Redwood burl....cool wood, semi difficult to work with in thin strips....but I’ve done several cause I like it!

okaloosa

Reaction score
I am a sucker for thin grips that taper all the way down to the blank for any rod under 7wt....more sensitive and just downright pretty. always loved the Orvis super fine all cork grips for that reason. keep those photos coming.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Woah!

Image #4, I've never seen anything like that and I've been here on this forum for almost 13 years. I've seen all sort of birch bark grips and about every kind of burl wood inserts that can be fashioned but that image #4 is truly different. That is not to say that each image shared goes well beyond anything I've ever even envisioned and of course way past any abilities I possess.

Really beautiful things!

LePetomane

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. I have been known to fish bamboo on occasion. I have a few rods from current makers. I have thought about taking a class where you start from scratch and walk away with a finished rod but that would cut into fishing.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
I am a sucker for thin grips that taper all the way down to the blank for any rod under 7wt....more sensitive and just downright pretty. always loved the Orvis super fine all cork grips for that reason. keep those photos coming.
It’s a 59” one piece mid/tip Franken Hotrod! Casts a 4 wt Sylk pleasantly. Watch out while indicator fishing....hit the back of my head casting a few times....🤕

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Woah!

Image #4, I've never seen anything like that and I've been here on this forum for almost 13 years. I've seen all sort of birch bark grips and about every kind of burl wood inserts that can be fashioned but that image #4 is truly different. That is not to say that each image shared goes well beyond anything I've ever even envisioned and of course way past any abilities I possess.

Really beautiful things!

While being stuck at home with the Covid situation....can you tell from this one I was bored?? The fish grip is actually comfortable and functional.....🤪
E27E3FF3-254A-445B-B65B-0B564FF07544.jpegEE1DF64A-BB3A-4CF3-BC5C-BE96C7BF0E15.jpeg01488F70-7F21-4622-85ED-FD1B5FEAB3BD.jpeg

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Thank redietz,
Big butts drive me nuts! ;) Bamboo that is.....That’s my trademark for Hotrodz of Burien! Very comfortable and not slippery even when wet. Some say wood grips have more sensitivity than dampening cork....I just like them!

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
My rods are Frankenrodz.....taper? :rolleyes: Sure, they’re skinny at the tip and bigger at the butt! 🤪 Most are made from different rods, some from the same. Since I still don’t plane my own bamboo yet, I just put em together and fish the heck out of them! I prefer stiffer faster action bamboo, and it can be pretty windy fishing here in Washington. Hope that answered your questions.