Any one use a rod buoy/floater?

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
I've never tried them, but have seen others use them.

I've wondered if they would be enough to float anything other then pretty light rods.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

denver1911

Reaction score
I’ve not sed them on fly rods, but the float baitcasters just fine. Remember, our rod is hollow and has quite a bit of buoyancy by itself. O just have to float the reel.

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
Dang, I wonder how that would effect the weight and balance of a flyrod?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A friend of mine, now a full grown man, as a boy on a trip with his Dad fell into the Madison River and lost his rod. Years later fishing the same stretch of river, saw a straight line on the bottom, picked it up and it was his old rod in refurbishable condition too.

JoJer

Reaction score
I've thought about this when getting the kids out in the canoe. I incorporate bright colored foam in the lanyards I've made, but I don't think any of them have enough to float all the gear on them. My thought has always been that the foam pads the cord on the back of the neck, and make it easier to find floating up off the bottom.

denver1911

Reaction score
They are almost unnoticeable on baitcasting rods. I’d guess even less noticeable on a longer fly rod.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I used those floats for my fly rods but not as floats. I would put those on my rod and wrap a velcro strap around it to hold the rod to the hand rail around the console of my boat. The foam float kept the rod from touching the metal rail

denver1911

Reaction score
Bought them. Pretty close to the ones posted. They are super light and, that close to the hand, air resistance is not an issue. The are almost unnoticeable. Really. When you go upside down in a kayak .. you notice them .. in a good way!

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
I've made a lanyard from Paracord that I use to attach nippers, a fly patch and an UnHookUm tool. The tools are on retractors. I added styrofoam floats like those used for bait fishing.

My thought was that the floats would float the lanyard and tools if dropped. I've never treated the theory, but assume that they wouldn't provide sufficient floatation.

In clear shallow water, the bright floats and Paracord might help in locating the lanyard. Unfortunately, I normally fish warm water that is far from clear and from a kayak.

I like the idea of the rod floats. I may see about adding them to my rods.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

denver1911

Reaction score
I previously used paracord to tie rods to a small slice of a pool noodle that stayed in the kayak. Very unwieldy. These floats work much better.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I bought some very similar from bass pro recently to use on my pontoon as the anxiety of losing a rod to the lake bottom was bugging me. Tested them out and will float any of my rods including a 7wt with heavy reel. And for the type of casting normally utilized pontoon fishing they don’t bother me much if at all.

Bigfly

Reaction score
All you guys are more on it than I am.....
Dropped a Sage x 6wt and new Galvan reel overboard yesterday.
Watched it sink for 0.25 sec. Still have my jugglers reflexes......
But I had to sit down and let my heart return to resting rate.
A float on a leash appeals to me now...

Jim