Any problem carrying on a Simms Bounty Hunter Vault?

Butkusrules

Reaction score
Im about to pull the trigger on it but I saw in some forum that someone said they didn’t think it would be allowed or fit in the overhead. Anyone have any experience? Flying frontier to Denver in a A321 and want to use it. It doesn’t seem that much bigger than the fishpond case.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trev

Reaction score
Simms gives this "DIMENSIONS: 34.5 x 13 x 6.5 in."
In general; " the standard domestic carry-on luggage size is 22” x 14” x 9”, which includes the handle and the wheels. "

The 34" dimension is clearly over the standard, yet some report using it multiple times with no hassle. I suggest you contact the specific airline and let them tell you if those dimensions are a problem.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
That Fishpond case measures 45.5", so just over the 45" limit and hard to imagine someone pulling out a tape measure. That Simms case, on the other hand, is obviously over-sized. However, I know some people who have been able to carry one on without issue (no idea what airline). Calling the airline is a good idea, but with things like this I think it ultimately comes down to the gate attendant and then the crew on board. That case would take up a lot of room in an overhead bin--longer than the width of two standard carry-on suitcases--and so if you're in a late boarding group there may not be room (unless it could lay on top of other luggage) or if it's a full flight they may be sticklers. Bottom line, I suspect each time you use it would be a gamble. Perhaps hope that they think it's an instrument case.

Butkusrules

Reaction score
That Fishpond case measures 45.5", so just over the 45" limit and hard to imagine someone pulling out a tape measure. That Simms case, on the other hand, is obviously over-sized. However, I know some people who have been able to carry one on without issue (no idea what airline). Calling the airline is a good idea, but with things like this I think it ultimately comes down to the gate attendant and then the crew on board. That case would take up a lot of room in an overhead bin--longer than the width of two standard carry-on suitcases--and so if you're in a late boarding group there may not be room (unless it could lay on top of other luggage) or if it's a full flight they may be sticklers. Bottom line, I suspect each time you use it would be a gamble. Perhaps hope that they think it's an instrument case.
So i researched Frontier policies and it looks like regular carry on dimensions dont apply to certain items...fishing gear is one of those exceptions.

“Carry-on: Yes,
A fishing pole only may exceed the carry-on baggage dimensions as long as it fits into the overhead bin.”

Will simms vault at least fit into overhead?

JDR

Reaction score
Kinda depends on whether you board the plane first or last. The way I read the Frontier interpretation the exemption would only apply to a single rod, not a vault full of rods.

bonefish41

Reaction score
That's pushing the gate checker's discretion envelope with the vault size. I carry an Orvis 30/9/4...about size of violin case...only time I have to gate check is small turbo prop e.g. Silver Airlines Florida Bahamas. But it's a gate check so you see your rods getting on board. My last flight(2/21/20) Miami to Indpls non-stop on AA's smallest regional jet seating 1 isle 2 ...it fit...but the above warnings about last to board are accurate...I always carry on my fly rods my trips are short... so lost rods I'm hand lining an Abel. Many have never had a problem checking rods ...I just cannot afford the risk so I carry on 4 piece fly rods. In the past ten years I've been to Cabo with checked conventional rods 15 times RT. Hard to believe but 14 were with everyone's evil carrier AA through Phoenix...no problem...but my only trip on Southwest Indy to Cabo through Denver, last spring, my rods went to Portland Oregon ...It was only because of outstanding service from the Mexican Southwest agent did I get my rods delivered to me on the East Cape 60 miles from the airport 36 hours after arrival...

Butkusrules

Reaction score
Kinda depends on whether you board the plane first or last. The way I read the Frontier interpretation the exemption would only apply to a single rod, not a vault full of rods.
Apparently since I paid for carryon i get “zone 1”

There is another section that says we can include nets reels etc except flies.

The vault is appealing because i can fit my net in it and it has back pack straps.