any shad reports , sacramento area

alfaromeo

Reaction score
water at 1000 cfs. and temps at 60 degrees..tooks phtots from watt ave bridge and howe ave bridge.. water crystal clear... watched for 10 mins at each overlook ( bridge ) saw no fish

tcorfey

Reaction score
They are being caught, mostly early morning in small schools, need to find the schools... red and pink seem to be the hot colors. If you see any stripers move on.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
sunday at , upstream fro howe ave ....water at 975 cfs..... from 1730 to 2000.. no shad.. did catch a 18 inch long pikeminnow..good fight// water to skinny for 5 wt. sink tip line... i could feel the bottom on the last 30 degrees of drift. with brass beadhead shad fly.. try full floating line next time with beadhead shad fly, get it off the rocks..perhaps try paridise beach

alfaromeo

Reaction score
... update. caught 4 shad in las t hour of dayling.. 3 males about 2 /3 pounds amd one very large female that put a big bend in my 6 weight, and was airborne a few times,,, big fighter,,took some time ot get here in..photos soon

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I never heard of shad fishing. The only shad I know of are Gizzard shad in the lake ruining fishing waters here in AZ and as bait for fishing .

LOC

Reaction score
american shad..males 2 to3 pounds.. females larger, and big fighters..on a cheapo/ maxcatch 6 weight.. and i did not fail...wow!View attachment 35095View attachment 35096View attachment 35097
Yowzer Alfa, that's a nice one!

I had to chance to try out that fishery when my GF was running a race up there.
I went out three evenings. The first evening was a total bust because I had the wrong setup.
The next two were great and lots of fun.

I started out with a 7wt and a sink tip which was recommended I but kept snagging the bottom.
I dropped all the way down to my 4wt and full floater and started catching.
It's great happy hour fishing.
I would love to go back and hit it with the Trout Spey rod.
That for me would be the perfect rod for that fishery.

Last edited:

alfaromeo

Reaction score
i was using a 9 foot 6 weight maxcatch rod.. 6 wight wf/f/sink tip brass come head shad flys..going back out this evening... youtube..... randell shad

LOC

Reaction score
i was using a 9 foot 6 weight maxcatch rod.. 6 wight wf/f/sink tip brass come head shad flys..going back out this evening... youtube..... randell shad
That's even more impressive I thought for sure those Shad could only be caught on a Sage Ingniter, Radian or Asquith with a perfectly paired fly line. Similar to matching a Scarecrow wine and a multi course dinner at the French Laundry.... :rolleyes::p:)

alfaromeo

Reaction score
found a great recipe...to catch alot of shad... sun off the water.. work a long glade.. fish untill dark more fish the darker it gets.. tonight 9 to net,....,5 hook ups . played them for a few mins to lost them ( barbless hooks ) 4 hits i felt, but did not hook up

alfaromeo

Reaction score
Yowzer Alfa, that's a nice one!

I had to chance to try out that fishery when my GF was running a race up there.
I went out three evenings. The first evening was a total bust because I had the wrong setup.
The next two were great and lots of fun.

I started out with a 7wt and a sink tip which was recommended I but kept snagging the bottom.
I dropped all the way down to my 4wt and full floater and started catching.
It's great happy hour fishing.
I would love to go back and hit it with the Trout Spey rod.
That for me would be the perfect rod for that fishery.
depends of water cfs.. over 3500 cfs 7 weight sink tip works..1000 to 3000 cfs 6 weight sink tip , depends on how deep the water is.... under 1000 cfs a 5 weight sink tip will work ok, but the fish can get big.. and a 5 weight might be a long hard fight.. i stay with 6 weight.. light enough to have fun.. but strong enough to bring to net.. i have seen the river at 6500-8000 cfs in spring after big wet winters... you stay at home.. that water will kill you,, and they will find you body in the delta..45 miles away

Meuniere

Reaction score
If you haven't read it already, and especially if you haven't read any of his work, by ALL MEANS get a copy of John McPhees "The Founding Fish," which is a variegated, entertaining, and delightfully informative work on Shad, particularly in their native waterways on the east coast of the US. It truly is a superlative, but easy-going book with a lot of fishing information in it (because Mr. McPhee fishes quite a bit). It also includes various historical methods of preparation, and explains how Shad were perhaps responsible for a particular Civil War battle defeat...

alfaromeo

Reaction score
11 shad to net, 3 remote release ( i am getting so much better on that ) and 1 .,,,13 inch steelhead/ rainbow trout again all fish from sunset to 9 pm.. water was nice and warm to wade in 63 degrees, fishing partner caught and release about the same.... had trouble with his leader into knots.. it was way to long, told him to cut it down to about 6 feet, solved the problem