Anyone add esn line to a fly line for quick swaps

Cheyneskeezer

Reaction score
So I snagged a euro rod and am using a vaya reel. Balances nice. Threw some casts with a normal wf 3wt line and it works pretty good. Does anyone just add a Rio or airflo esn fly line with leader onto the end of their floating line? Adjust the backing to accept the extra esn line when needed? Seems as it would work fine if my floating line never leaves the reel.

excited to learn esn when Ihave time but would like the option to quickly throw drys/ dry droppers.

knotjoe

Reaction score
Briefly toyed with the idea, but found the process of changing between lines, winding for storage, etc to be a lot more toil than simply carrying a spare spool. Or a spare reel, for that matter, ESN only requires a small frame line holder on my rods.

With a Vaya, the extra spool option *might* be a bit on the cost prohibitive side of things.:unsure:

To be perfectly honest about ESN specific lines, you might do better with the mono-rig idea here and not need to adjust the backing. I use both ESN comp lines and low diameter DIY flylines and like 'em, but if you've already got a floating line on there, the true mono rig will give you the most benefit for ESN techniques. Think of the furthest extremes here and you'll get the real utility of both ideas.

(hint: marketed ESN flylines are not that impressive for the money)

AZFalconer

Reaction score
I just add a mono rig sort of like a long leader onto the fly line. 30 ft of mono rig takes up no appreciable space on the reel and so far have only gotten fly line into the guides once... If I gotta throw longer than that I'll change to a standard leader and an indicator as I can't see a sighter at that distance anyway... :cool:

Cheyneskeezer

Reaction score
I don’t see myself throwing far casts while euro nymphing. most of the streams i fish are no more than 15 feet acro9ss so adding mono is prob best. though i do have spare reels i can just throw some esn line on...which i also have.

thanks for the replys

caddis75

Reaction score
If I am fishing when there is a for-real hatch later in the day, I'll euro with my 10' 3 wt all day then switch reels and dry fly after 5. It casts well out to 50' so that's more than enough. One reel has euro-level line and an 18-foot self-tied leader and the other is a 3 WF3F. Otherwise, no, I just mono it on a 10'6 2 wt all day.

LandoLando

Reaction score
I’ve never used a dedicated ESN fly line, I’ve got some old floating line with the head cut off on my euro rig, and when I go backpacking, I just tie a euro leader to my midge tip line to avoid carrying an extra spool for ESN.

The running line on many floating lines is similar diameter to some of the larger ESN lines, so I don’t see a huge reason to buy an ESN line since it never comes off the reel unless I hook a fish.

NCNewby

Reaction score
I have never used a dedicated ESN so far.

However, I have discovered a couple of streams with special regulations on length of leader. If I choose to try ESN there, I think a dedicated line will be the only way to comply.

So, you might want to check your favorite streams and see if any have special regs.

FWIW

Daggerislandreds

Reaction score
I would just tie up your own 30ft mono leader and attach it to your fly line and call it good. I personally have one reel specifically set up for ESN and another with a WF line for dries. It makes for a quick change. I wouldn't but a spare spool for a Vaya, it's not much more to just buy the whole reel.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
So I snagged a euro rod and am using a vaya reel. Balances nice. Threw some casts with a normal wf 3wt line and it works pretty good. Does anyone just add a Rio or airflo esn fly line with leader onto the end of their floating line? Adjust the backing to accept the extra esn line when needed? Seems as it would work fine if my floating line never leaves the reel.

excited to learn esn when Ihave time but would like the option to quickly throw drys/ dry droppers.
I do it but with the euro shorty style ESN lines, they are only about 20' long, so no need to adjust backing. They cast a dry fly fine--not as good as a traditional WF or DT, but good enough.... and with the shorty, in a pinch you can remove it pretty easily, rather than unwind 90' of line.

You can also completely do without any kind of euro fly line and just lengthen your butt section of your euro leader by 12-20', assuming you don't mind handling uncoated line.

patrick62

Reaction score
Scientific Anglers has a Euro kit that is 20 feet of the sort of running line you'd expect from a light fly line and a long tapered leader with sighter built in, ending in a tippet ring. It's 13.5 feet and tapered to 2X.

Assuming another, say four to six feet of tippets and droppers, that gives you close to 40 feet of stuff to fling around.

I've deployed this rig a few times, and while it took some getting used to it was moderately effective.

If you're like me and you save things like the running line from defunct WFs, you could build your own version of this kit for a few bucks and minimal fuss.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
If you're like me and you save things like the running line from defunct WFs, you could build your own version of this kit for a few bucks and minimal fuss.
This isn't a bad idea at all, but I will note that these euro fly lines and euro shorties like the SA and Rio, are quite smaller in diameter than even then running lines on a 3wt line. The difference in diameter can make a difference in sensitivity when the coated line ends up touching guides and gets off the end of the rod.

RAMfisher90

Reaction score
I've used the Rio shorty for similar fishing and haven't had issues. For $30 I think it's certainly worth a try compared to a new spool / reel. It's not much of a hassle to put on / take off.