Anyone recognize this partial water label 2 pc 8' fly rod

Millersriver

Reaction score
20210313_120954.jpg can anyone give me some assistance on identification of the maker or manufacturer of this two piece 8 ft fiberglass fly rod I am trying to see if I have a fly reel from the same manufacturer to match up and fish with obviously there are missing pieces of the water label I've tried the art number it looks like an A and M but I could be wrong any help is greatly appreciated

JoJer

Reaction score
DAM? I'd never heard of this German company till I inherited a spin rod, reel and line from a relative.

trev

Reaction score
Not very usual. Wonder if was made in USA for DAM? be interesting to compare hardware etc. with Heddon, H-I etc.

Last edited:

Millersriver

Reaction score
That is just amazing guys Trev thank you so much that's why I was having real trouble finding anything that resembled it surprisingly I do have quite a few pre and post war German reels to throw on it made my week when I catch a respectable size trout or salmon with it I'll post the picture

trev

Reaction score
The fiber glass rods are all post war, generally with the first ~1947 I believe and really not many players before ~1949, but the AFTMA line marking puts your rod into the mid 1960s. That standard did not exist prior to 1962 and rod companies did not use it immediately.

redietz

Reaction score
Not very usual. Wonder if was made in USA for DAM? be interesting to compare hardware etc. with Heddon, H-I etc.
I doubt it. DAM is a major tackle manufacturer, and I don't think they would outsource rod making. As an old poly-sci professor at my alma mater lectured "In Prussia, ve produced but ve did not consume. Zat is vaht made Prussia great!".

Herter's apparently imported some reels made by DAM, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also imported some of their rods.

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
Hard to guess where most Herters rods came from, I think mine is a True Temper. Some were St Croix, but he sourced from lots of places, so it's possible.