Anyone Using Cortland Lines?

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I have, and may even still have at least one. The first line I ever used was a Cortland, because my first outfit was from Cortland. That was a level line and I replaced it with a 333 WF floating line. That was the early 70;s and since then I've had other 333 and 444 WF floating lines.

I'm fairly sure that the one 444 I still use is a bass bug taper in 9 wt. Orange line.

IMO, they're like the SA Aircel lines, in that they're not special, but are solid lines for the prices paid, and durable. If you want a specialty line, and need it for a specific application, then the 333/444 lines are probably not what you'll want, but for general purpose types lines, they've a good choice.

trev

Reaction score
I've used Cortland for over 40 years, they are I guess the oldest fly line maker still in business, although SA was the first to build very good plastic lines. In particular the 444 Peach in DTxF is an old standby. I was happy with 333 in DT as well but don't see them for sale often.
Why? Not brand loyalty, but, because I've never found a better premium all purpose line, except the old SA "Aircel Supreme" and SA couldn't stay with a good line but had to rename it many times to play with marketing, so that I was unsure what I was buying. I suspect SA still makes the same line that I liked but uses a "new & improved" name, I'm sick of new and improved that isn't.
I'm not sure that any other company makes DT lines as they all seem to think a "special" line is need for every different fly, I own and have used several 'special' lines and I have found that "special" means "limited use".

thomasw

Reaction score
There are three lines that I have used by Cortland. The 444, as has been discussed, is a solid all-round line. The other two are perhaps less well known. I use the DT version of the cortland Trout Boss which is a fantastic terrestrial line when you want to be able to land your beetles, ants and hoppers in close; the trout boss is over-weighted (e.g., the DT5 is 160 grains) and has an aggressive front taper of only 6' -- perfect for flipping larger terrestrials in close when a flop-plop type presentation is desirable. Definitely a specialty line, but I have had great success with it, at times using it with larger floating stoneflies (e.g., Craven's Morningwood Stonefly). Any bug that flops and flutters to trouble the water's surface is a candidate for this line. The second less well known Cortland line I like for special circumstances is the Ultralight WF line. It features a long front taper of 18' (yes 18!) for very delicate presentations and precise loop control. The thin overall diameter decreases to .015" so that water surface disturbance is minimized for very gentle deliveries. Now this is a challenging line for some to cast, much like the wulff TT with a long front taper. I think Cortland lines are well worth checking out. Some great all-rounders and numerous specialty lines -- all at a cost point a notch below the SA, Airflo and Rio pricing. Yes, I am a Cortland and 406 line fan -- great quality for a reasonable hit...

HTH

Nonno

Reaction score
I use 444 Peach in DT4F, and DT6F, and on my boo I use a 444 Sylk in a DT6F. I like the way they cast on the rods I use them on.
Trev, Rio makes a couple of DTs, and one of them, the Technical Trout DT looks like it would compare to the Peach. It's hard to weed through all of the fancy line names.

trev

Reaction score
I forgot that I also have their "Fairplay" lines in most weights of WF configuration as cheap loaner/yard cast/weight testing/dirty water lines, These are not especially good lines but they cast well enough and are cheap. With local availability at Walmart etc.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I forgot that I also have their "Fairplay" lines in most weights of WF configuration as cheap loaner/yard cast/weight testing/dirty water lines, These are not especially good lines but they cast well enough and are cheap. With local availability at Walmart etc.
Yep, I had forgotten them, but I have a couple of them too, bought for 3 & 4 wt rods, and not a line I use for much other than panfishing.

burk48237

Reaction score
I use to be a Rep, out of the business, but I am no longer exclusive to Cortland, but they do still make some great lines in certain catagories, and they make the best Flouro Carbon leader material. The Long Belly Distance is a great line, similar taper to Rio Gold with true to size weighting. The Liquid Crystal series are exceptional salt water flats lines, especially on picky fish, Andy Mills and Flip Pallot swear by them. The Big Fly is a great standard rod Bass fly line, the Big Shot is a very similer performing line to the SA Titan for a lot less money, and great on a short bass rod. Peach is still the go to for fiberglass and Boo. And there clear intermediate has been the standard for hi-country lake fisherman for years.

dillon

Reaction score
I have and use Cortland Omni Verse (now Long Belly) and Modern Trout. Both have long rear tapers. Omni Verse is true weight and Modern Trout is 1/2 heavy. I like both.
I too, have these lines and like them both. The Omni Verse is similar to the SA Mastery Expert Distance Taper. It is available in 4wt. and the EDT is not. I’m not sure if any EDT lines are now. I like the Modern trout for close in dry fly presentation. If I ever use a nymph on my 8 1/2 One I’d use it for that too.

I also have the short, medium and long belly spey lines. They are used for swing and skating steelhead presentations. I prefer them over Scandi lines. Line control is more important to me than distance.

In the Stillwater department, the full sinking intermediate Camo line is superb for stripping seal buggers. I also like the 7 ft. Intermediate line for casting emergers to trout cruising and feeding just below the surface.

well, there you have it, I like Cortland lines.

pati

Reaction score
444 Sylk is very thin and gives very delicate presentation. It is my back up line gor my boo rods when my natural lines are wet or if I just shush a short session and am too lazy to take out the natural silk lines.
444 Peach is an absolute no non sense top quality general purpose line that in my experience outlives most SA and Rio lines, much more attractive price point too

dillon

Reaction score
444 Sylk is very thin and gives very delicate presentation. It is my back up line gor my boo rods when my natural lines are wet or if I just shush a short session and am too lazy to take out the natural silk lines.
444 Peach is an absolute no non sense top quality general purpose line that in my experience outlives most SA and Rio lines, much more attractive price point too
Thanks for reminding me, I have a DT sylk as well. I use it on my Circa as a Stillwater dry fly set up with an Orvis Battenkill reel.

I was given all my Cortland lines (I have more) from a sales Rep friend To try out. Sadly, they let him go, along with all sales reps, I believe. So, there went my source. I don’t think many, if any shops carry them. So they need to be ordered directly from Cortland. They do have a very good catalogue on line. It’s fun to read all the various line descriptions and look at their tapers.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I just recently tried the Liquid Crystal line on a 6 wt. I got to cast it a few minutes before a thunderstorm sent me back to the boat ramp. I cast well, but I didn't get a fish.

burk48237

Reaction score
I just recently tried the Liquid Crystal line on a 6 wt. I got to cast it a few minutes before a thunderstorm sent me back to the boat ramp. I cast well, but I didn't get a fish.
It is an incredible line in hot weather, shoots like it's going to pull the reel thru the guides! :)