April Rainbow on The March Brown

wmelton

Reaction score
Two bamboo fly rods have been sitting in a display case in my parent's living room since before I was born. They were made by a friend of my dad's and I wasn't allowed to even look at them, until today, when I guess quarantining got to him enough that he let me fish one. To call me stoked would be an understatement. Managed to land a rainbow about 50 ft from my front door.

IMG_3821.jpg
IMG_5597.jpg
IMG_2531.jpg
IMG_8381.jpg

flytie09

Reaction score
Very nice. A treat for sure to stumble down to the river with a beauty like that and hook a nice Rainbow.

okaloosa

Reaction score
well done! beautiful rod...I love the tapered grip..very elegant.....do you know what it weighs on a digital scale?
any more history on the maker?

wmelton

Reaction score
do you know what it weighs on a digital scale?
any more history on the maker?
I do not know what it weighs, though if I can find my scale I'll let you know. The maker was my dad's first roommate when he moved to Boulder. He was a CU student from Germany who my dad refers to as his "Bavarian Brother." After graduating he moved to Austria and started building rods and big bamboo and glass display cases. He also made leather rod cases and socks, the socks out of a hundred-year-old roll of fabric he found in a barn. I believe the two rods and display case were a wedding present, though I am not sure. He has since moved back to Germany and no longer makes rods.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I do not know what it weighs, though if I can find my scale I'll let you know. The maker was my dad's first roommate when he moved to Boulder. He was a CU student from Germany who my dad refers to as his "Bavarian Brother." After graduating he moved to Austria and started building rods and big bamboo and glass display cases. He also made leather rod cases and socks, the socks out of a hundred-year-old roll of fabric he found in a barn. I believe the two rods and display case were a wedding present, though I am not sure. He has since moved back to Germany and no longer makes rods.
That rod is a beauty...I am sure you will take great care of it....it would be a shame if your dad did not have a child who could appreciate it...I see these fine bamboo rods on EBay from estate sales. You know their original owner must have cherished them and now they just go to the highest bidder.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
That is awesome your dad let you use such a beautiful rod and then you land a gorgeous rainbow, congrats!

DonW

Reaction score
Don't remember what I got for wedding presents, but a pair of bamboo rods like that would have been awesome! Nice fish too.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I know we dont supposed to get political but how President Reagan knew what kind of wedding gift to give!!!!

"Fit For A King?"-2 Salmon Rods Made for Prince Charles & Princess Dianna by T&T for President Reagan to present as Wedding gifts.
President Reagan (during his second term of office) ordered a pair of salmon fly rods from the Thomas & Thomas shop as a wedding gift. Len Codella, owner of T&T at that time, had a short time frame to make these rods, so he instructed Tom Dorsey to build a back-up set of blanks just in case something went wrong with the first set. Fortunately, the first set of blanks were perfectly made, so Len ordered the extra blanks be advertised for sale. Our friend, Dr. Marchant, saw the ad and asked Len to complete them for him. That pair of rods is being offered here as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! These stunning rods are pictured below. They have only been cast or fished possibly once or twice. They are in pristine condition. The only difference between these and the ones made for Charles and Diana are that these rods have detachable lower handles, whereas the Royal Couples' rods have fixed handles. Accompanying these rods is the original letter of sale to Dr. Marchant signed by Codella and Dorsey, and the original advertisement that drew Dr. Marchant's attention. Additionally, a letter from Len describing in detail this whole story is included. This pair of rods will be the centerpiece of your collection. The only other rods like this in the world are housed in the Sporting/Trophy room at Balmoral Castle. This package is priced at $7500 plus shipping & insurance to the fortunate buyer. Please inquire if you have more questions or need addtional photos.

bamboo.jpg

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Liked your post and now will say a little, weight probably is under 4 oz but heavy enough toward the tip to balance with that Bougle reel! What a pair.

Nice

wmelton

Reaction score
Very nice. Did you use a March Brown fly?
No, but that would've made it even cooler. I think I got him on a RS2. But the guy who built the rod also tied a March Brown which is in the cap of the leather rod case he made, not sure if I am allowed to tie that one on.

rockriver

Reaction score
No, but that would've made it even cooler. I think I got him on a RS2. But the guy who built the rod also tied a March Brown which is in the cap of the leather rod case he made, not sure if I am allowed to tie that one on.
I wouldn't fish the fly. Beautiful rod and fish.

LePetomane

Reaction score
As much as I would like to fish that fly I probably wouldn't. I have some flies purchased from the Dette's when I lived in NYC. The flies were tied in the 80's. I am going to fish them one of these days.