Ari't Hart Passes

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A real loose for the aficionados of fly reels, the innovative reel artist Ari't Hart of Holland has died. He was, I believe, the first to incorporate one-way bearings as a method of actuating a disc drag (at least the first I knew of) and, working largely in his home, built one after another fascinating reels. I had the good fortune to meet him and explore his diverse inventory back in the early 1980's and have fished his reels in both trout and bonefishing environments. I don't feel I am overstating in saying he was a unique, creative genius.

Ari't Hart.jpg

original cormorant

Reaction score
On the Uk forum there are postings from some who knew him well.

flytie09

Reaction score
Sad to hear. Ari was a genius way ahead of his time. He will be missed.

mjm6

Reaction score
I never had the opportunty to meet Ari since I'm in the US, but I first saw his reels in the early 90's at a great (now long gone) fly shop in Longmont, Colorado called the St. Vrain Angler. I fell in love with the design and quality of them and started using them back then, starting with an F1 Traun.

I have only been using ATH reels since that time and at this point, I have no plans to use any other reels as I move into retirement and onto the waning years of my fishing life, hopefully in 30 years or more. I have five ATH reels for different rods and I hope they will all last until the end. By far, my most used reel is the F1 that I bought back in '94, which I use on a 9'-4WT rod.

I was saddened to hear about Ari's passing last month through a group on FB that includes some of his good friends. Over the past few years, they would post photos when he was out fishing with them, and he kept it all going to the end. He was a really innovative designer and certainly impacted my flyfishing years with his wonderful and reliable reels.

---Michael