Arkie trout

Denduke

Reaction score
Ran across this article. Thought it would be a good perspective with the invasive trout discussions going around. Arkansas did it right, don’t you think?

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
I fished the Arkansas trout waters a bunch, and I do agree with you that all things considered, Arkansas did their trout program in the dam-created cold water streams just about as well as possible. I've caught some very nice trout in good ol' Arkansas.
And what many folks don't know- particularly in the White River- is that once an angler gets past Cotter downstream of the dam, before long you stand a very good chance of hooking into some big, mean smallmouth bass who can live and prosper in the slightly warmer waters.
So Arkie anglers get the best of both worlds- their old native smallmouth bass and the newer rainbow, brown and other species of trout.

You all keep well and stay safe- Ed

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
Yep, those brown bass have lived in the Ozark streams since limestone was invented. Smallmouth were the primary target for old-time float trips before the big dams were put up on the White River flows. There are some really big smallmouth in the White River below the Crooked Creek junction below Cotter.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

MarcusEarlT83

Reaction score
i have made thousands of casts in the white but never catch any smallmouth except for a few here and there around the buffalo, guess im doing something wrong but then again im usually there in the winter. I do love smallmouth more than trout...

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good evening to all-

Marcus- Your experience is the same as mine. Not until the Crooked Creek confluence with the White River have I caught any smallmouths. Around the Buffalo confluence, even more brown bass are in the White River. I expect the brown bass go in and out of the White as they choose.
One thing I have found- all of the brown bass I have caught in the White River have been very nice bass- no piddlers that I have ever found.

Lord, I wish that water was closer to me right now- some great late fall/early winter fishing in the White River.

good evening to all- Ed