Asian Tiger Mosquitos

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
Those little biters from hell are easily spread by weather systems, and there's not much to be done about it. Down here on the Gulf Coast, after most hurricanes and tropical storms, we get a flush of mosquitoes brought in by the storms. One year we had some sort of tiny black mosquitoes that were the worst things to try and survive I ever saw. Millions of them- your legs would look like you'd sprouted bear-hair, and hurt!
We have plenty of native mosquitoes- it's not fair that we have to deal with them from other places, too.

good day to all- Ed

fq13

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
Those little biters from hell are easily spread by weather systems, and there's not much to be done about it. Down here on the Gulf Coast, after most hurricanes and tropical storms, we get a flush of mosquitoes brought in by the storms. One year we had some sort of tiny black mosquitoes that were the worst things to try and survive I ever saw. Millions of them- your legs would look like you'd sprouted bear-hair, and hurt!
We have plenty of native mosquitoes- it's not fair that we have to deal with them from other places, too.

good day to all- Ed
Instead of a wall maybe build giant bug zappers? Heck as Floridian we have long since given up being surprised by weird exotic nuisance wildlife. We will be shocked if someone releases something fuzzy and cute!

dr d

Reaction score
I went fishing yesterday late afternoon here in the U.P. and saw several trying to feed on my arm. Anyone else seeing them? I didn't think anything about them and mentioned it to my wife this morning and after being told I was crazy, she showed me this article she saw on the Weather Chanel. https://weather.com/health/news/202...jamestown-canyon-virus-michigan-new-hampshire
hi ,

you should be very careful:

if it´s a tigermidge>>>1.zika- Virus
2.chikunggunya-virus
3.dengue-virus

if it´s a japanese bush-midge>>>1.west-nil-virus
2.encephalitis

you should consult biological experts because of exact expertise.

repellant and long clothes are standard also in heat!!!

i´m a retired dr.in dental surgeon in black forest,germany with biological interest and since some years we have

them here between 100m and 600m due to cargo transport all around the world…:(

you may have to control 1x to 2x the week all water containers inside and outside the house and

clean them(singapure-method).

i´m convinced that we are in the beginning of bigger changes of climate and insects and virus-spreading.

b.r.

thomas

okaloosa

Reaction score
mosquitoes are the most dangerous animal to man.... these numbers are world wide...
keep in mind snakes kill only about 3 to 5 humans per year in United States. More Americans die yearly from vending machines falling on them.

AnimalHumans killed per year
Source: CNETSource: BBC News
1Mosquitoes725,000
2Humans (murder only)50,000
3Snakes25,000

Max L

Reaction score
Good morning to all-

good day to all- Ed
that's interesting, right after sandy hit the east coast my area was invaded by mosquitos the size of birds for couple of weeks
until the frost killed everything
never have seen them that big. or that viscous

jjcm

Reaction score
I noticed one on me recently in the LP. Ticks have been bad this year too. Treating clothing and gear with Saywer's permethrin seemed to help keep bugs away when fishing. Also, normal bug dope for skin in spots where bugs are generally thicker.

The permethrin can last a few wash cycles so seems to last even when stuff gets a little wet.

Not really a fan of insect repellent, but it is better than ticks and now Asian mosquitos.

jjcm

Reaction score
Could add to that, when not at the river, yard chickens seem to help keep these kinds of bugs a bit under control.