Assault XX Provo River Guide LE

chief17

Reaction score
Finally got to take out my Assault XX Provo from Scadden that I bought a couple of months back. I've wanted a raft for quite some time but could never justify spending the money on the Smithfly/Stealthcraft/Flycraft variations. I was initially hesitant bc of some of the bad things people tend to say about Scadden. It seemed like most of what I could find online came from whitewater people saying they suck and making comparisons to a high end whitewater rafts with an NRS frame. I have no desire to take this in whitewater. I just want to float down smaller rivers and larger streams on day trips to catch trout and smallmouth. Other complaints seemed to stem from customer service issues and most of those seemed to be older. I decided for the price I was willing to a bit of a gamble. I did call Scadden prior to buying to ask a couple of questions. Dave was really nice, answered everything and didn't give me any sales pitches or try to push towards another product.

I'd say overall from a quality perspective, I'm pretty happy. In full disclosure, I've never owned or even been in a high dollar rig. Basically it didn't leave me feeling like I didn't get what I paid for. Having never rowed a raft, I felt like it was pretty nimble and didn't take me long to figure out how to maneuver and not flounder around. I was a little unsure of how much I'd like the open cockpit design, but it comes in handy. When the guy in front hooks into a fish, if it's shallow enough I can just jump down and grab the net, no messing with the anchor if you don't want to.

I added some rod holders that I made out of PVC conduit and strapped them to the frame. I also got some swivel mounts for the seats and a 13" pedestal seat post for the front that I didn't install yet. With the seats in a fixed position, they didn't really leave me wishing I could have them on a swivel, but I think it will be nice. Overall it was a pretty comfortable ride. I'm also going to cobble together some sort of stripping basket to hang on the lean bar in the front.

Overall I'm pretty happy. First impressions, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this thing as a great two man raft.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Looks nice and if I needed a 2 person I might entertain one but the color choice would probably kill it for me . Good luck .

chief17

Reaction score
The blue wasn't my first choice in color either, but beggars can't be choosers. I'd rather have a raft in a color I don't love than no raft at all.

NWADrew

Reaction score
Finally got to take out my Assault XX Provo from Scadden that I bought a couple of months back. I've wanted a raft for quite some time but could never justify spending the money on the Smithfly/Stealthcraft/Flycraft variations. I was initially hesitant bc of some of the bad things people tend to say about Scadden. It seemed like most of what I could find online came from whitewater people saying they suck and making comparisons to a high end whitewater rafts with an NRS frame. I have no desire to take this in whitewater. I just want to float down smaller rivers and larger streams on day trips to catch trout and smallmouth. Other complaints seemed to stem from customer service issues and most of those seemed to be older. I decided for the price I was willing to a bit of a gamble. I did call Scadden prior to buying to ask a couple of questions. Dave was really nice, answered everything and didn't give me any sales pitches or try to push towards another product.

I'd say overall from a quality perspective, I'm pretty happy. In full disclosure, I've never owned or even been in a high dollar rig. Basically it didn't leave me feeling like I didn't get what I paid for. Having never rowed a raft, I felt like it was pretty nimble and didn't take me long to figure out how to maneuver and not flounder around. I was a little unsure of how much I'd like the open cockpit design, but it comes in handy. When the guy in front hooks into a fish, if it's shallow enough I can just jump down and grab the net, no messing with the anchor if you don't want to.

I added some rod holders that I made out of PVC conduit and strapped them to the frame. I also got some swivel mounts for the seats and a 13" pedestal seat post for the front that I didn't install yet. With the seats in a fixed position, they didn't really leave me wishing I could have them on a swivel, but I think it will be nice. Overall it was a pretty comfortable ride. I'm also going to cobble together some sort of stripping basket to hang on the lean bar in the front.

Overall I'm pretty happy. First impressions, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this thing as a great two man raft.
Good post. I've had the SC Hooligan Standard for 3 1/2 years and love it. After fishing it 12 months out of the year in creeks, rivers and lakes, and starting the Hooligan FB Group, I look at all raft brands pretty much the same. Tubes and shape vary a little but all get the job done. The difference for me comparing the Hooligan to the others has been the frame. Particularly the back tray for gear storage. After looking at an NRS frame system I definitely would not recommend that for fly fishing. Lot's of things to catch your fly line on with the floor system. IMO a rigid inflatable floor is way way better. But I could easily fish out of any inflatable boat on the market. Let's see a picture of your Scadden.

Last edited:

chief17

Reaction score
Good post. I've had the SC Hooligan Standard for 3 1/2 years and love it. After fishing it 12 months out of the year in creeks, rivers and lakes, and starting the Hooligan FB Group, I look at all raft brands pretty much the same. Tubes and shape vary a little but all get the job done. The difference for me comparing the Hooligan to the others has been the frame. Particularly the back tray for gear storage. After looking at an NRS frame system I definitely would not recommend that for fly fishing. Lot's of things to catch your day line on with the floor system. IMO a rigid inflatable floor is way way better. But I could easily fish out of any inflatable boat on the market. Let's see a picture of your Scadden.
As soon as it warms up around here and I can find someone that can go out I'll grab a picture. Didn't take any pics of the raft when I had it out this summer. It's all broken down in the garage at the moment.