Au Sable (Michigan) below Mio

rusty 54

Reaction score
Those of you who have witnessed the tubing show on nearly every late summer Saturday on the Au Sable below Mio will know what I'm talking about. We were there last weekend to fish the white fly hatches(we were very careful about water temperatures). We have gone every year for at least 12 years. The tubing show has gotten progressively more "entertaining". Last year was about the worst I have seen.

This year we heard a motor screaming. Son in law said that it sounded like a jet boat. We went to the river, and sure enough, the DNR had 2 officers in a jet boat patrolling. We heard they were giving tickets for no pfds in kayaks and canoes and busted a group of minors in possession. I'm sure word will spread. It was good to see a law enforcement presence. I don't know when they started, but that was the first we had seen.

partsman

Reaction score
Good to hear, some more enforcement on the rifle river would be nice.
Mike.

jjcm

Reaction score
It looks like they are planning to be out enforcing rules. I received an email today saying the DNR will be present on some MI rivers to oversee the salmon run. Good thing imo.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I think a lot of crazy is going to get worse. As example in cali all national forests closed due to fires and many other venues closed or restricted capacity causing more people trying to recreate in smaller area. Add in covid, less people working, less outlets for people, fire shutdowns and this does not look to end well.

rusty 54

Reaction score
We were discussing that on that trip. I think most of them will go back to the amusement parks sooner than later. I also think there will be a lot of cheap used kayaks available in the near future.