Australian small stream fly fishing, are there lessons here for American fly fishermen?

Reaction score
Hi, i am in Melbourne Australia, and have made a video showing a guides perspective up a local stream,
and i have more videos coming,
and i was wondering if the tips shown in this video are relevant for my fellow Americans?
do you have streams like this in the USA?

mikemac1

Reaction score
Scottie,

Nice video and very useful tips for small waters. Great applicability to U.S. streams. I’ve made a couple of fishing trips to OZ in the last few years and had the pleasure to fish streams in northern Tazzy and Eastern Vic. I didn’t find the fishing much different than that here in the states (except for the gum trees). I was fortunate to have extremely good days on the Mitta Mitta and Kiewa rivers. In Vic the highlight of the trip was a day on the West Branch of the Kiewa, deep in the big Gum forests. In Tazzy I fished the Meander and Mersey rivers as well as some lagoons and wilderness lakes. All the rivers fished pretty much the same as we’d fish similar rivers here. We caught fish on small streamers, nymphs and dry flys. If there was one difference that was noticeable to me was a greater lack of wariness of the brown trout in the slower pools and slicks. I think the lack of a lot of airborne and ground predators—ospreys, herons, otters, minks, etc—allowed the browns to roam freer in the stream than they would in a typical U.S. stream. On more than one occasion I’d be wading at the edge of a pool and a brown would slowly swim by in full view. In the evening we found multiple fish swimming with fins exposed in shallow water chasing baitfish. You don’t see that much in the U.S. because of the predators.

Deep in the Manna Gums - West Branch Kiewa

C075F859-E503-4065-BB6E-403E2A11806B.jpeg

jwbowen

Reaction score
Thank you for the wonderful video. A pro working the stream is an apt description.
I have watched this before and I believe it is one of the best small stream vids out
there.

Btw, at 17.09 into the vid, there is a closeup of the tippet. I do not believe
I have seen tippet with the small markings like that in the States.

Reaction score
Thanks so much mikemac1 for that, that's amazing that the predators make such a difference, but makes sense. Sounds like you have had some great adventures round the world fly fishing. I hope one day i can do as much!! Really appreciate the time and effort. I am definitely going to get to the Mitta Mitta and Kiewa a bit more next season down here. And hopefully NZ and Tasmania as well. Do you have a favourite local spot to you over there? And do you normally hire a guide when you travel?

I have just uploaded my latest video, let me know what you think if you get the chance,
again thanks for your time, i really enjoyed reading your response..

Reaction score
Thank you for the wonderful video. A pro working the stream is an apt description.
I have watched this before and I believe it is one of the best small stream vids out
there.

Btw, at 17.09 into the vid, there is a closeup of the tippet. I do not believe
I have seen tippet with the small markings like that in the States.
jwbowen,
your most welcome, I'm amazed you have seen the video before, was that just searching thru youtube?
I love filming the videos and editing them, because i get to learn so much. What sort of waters are you fly fishing over there?
Scottie is interstate for a few months until season starts again here, but i will ask him about the tippet and try to get back to you.
in the mean time here is my latest..
enjoy and let me know what you think..

jwbowen

Reaction score
I usually fish the larger mountain streams in Westen NC. Once a year
I fish the some of the larger rivers of NM. I did find the video on
Youtube while looking for small stream techniques. I also found
one that was several years old of a younger European gentleman.
He was by far the most amazingly proficient caster I have ever seen.
He fished smaller streams in the mountains somewhere and could
drop a dry on a dime over and around a boulder while bending
beneath a branch. Repeatedly!