Backpacking into remote High Uinta Lakes with float tube

desmobob

Reaction score
I will take exception to one thing in your post, I got the treeline 2.x which is less than 3lb. ;)Fewer bells and whistles, but who has room in their pack for bells or whistles?
I admit it: I have the older "heavy" model. 🙂

I used to subscribe to the ultralight backpacking school of thought. Then, one day, I took a look at myself in the bathroom mirror. I'm 6'2" tall, but weigh 255 lbs. I think my recommended target weight is more like 210-220 lbs.

I could stand to lose twenty or thirty. When I do, that little bit of extra weight from my un-ultralight gear will be nothing. When I do... 🙄

Until then, I'll save that half or three-quarters of a pound gross weight by eating a light breakfast. 😊

desmobob

Reaction score
I got in late so my first cast was the next morning. First fish, I broke
the rod tip because I didnt set the ferrules tight. I always have a second
lighter rod now:). I didn't even have a spare in my vehicle. I hiked out
and a local fly shop loaned me a rod for the remainder of the trip.
Your story does make me want to see if the manufacturer can send me a spare rod tip to bring along, because that wont weigh a whole lot.
One way to get a little peace of mind on this issue: bring a fiberglass, vs. graphite, rod. I think a person is far less likely to break the tip on a 'glass rod (or any other part of it).

(Beware of the possible addiction though.... I purchased an Orvis Superfine Glass 4wt to try fiberglass and now I have a whole pile of 'glass rods, vintage to modern.)

Acheron

Reaction score
There's not much which compares to hiking into the high country for the super pretty fish who reside there.
I don't know how many more years I will be able to hike. Hopefully quite a few! I may consider one of those tubes in the future.

What waders and boots are you using?

stenacron

Reaction score
After seeing your many reports from strawberry and other stillwater, I’m very flattered to read this. My pack was 41 lb for a two night, three day trip. 11lb of that was fishing gear.
Man, I am serious. I have never even seen fish in the Uintas the size you are catching! I've had good days number-wise, but overall for me I find the fishing to be very inconsistent and 90% pan-sized. Maybe I just need to explore more areas away form the Mirror Lake Highway trailheads.

I need to start working on my pack weight too. Time to take a look at; a) What I always carry and never use, and b) the weight of things I need to have (tent, sleep system, etc.).

LandoLando

Reaction score
There's not much which compares to hiking into the high country for the super pretty fish who reside there.
I don't know how many more years I will be able to hike. Hopefully quite a few! I may consider one of those tubes in the future.

What waders and boots are you using?
Reddingtom crosswater waders are the lightest available and only $120. I don’t bring wading boots because even the lightweight ones are far too heavy. I bring O’Neill water shoes. Not as much protection as a true wading boot but I’ve been able to hike a mile on boulders and scree without too much complaint from my feet.

Man, I am serious. I have never even seen fish in the Uintas the size you are catching! I've had good days number-wise, but overall for me I find the fishing to be very inconsistent and 90% pan-sized. Maybe I just need to explore more areas away form the Mirror Lake Highway trailheads.

I need to start working on my pack weight too. Time to take a look at; a) What I always carry and never use, and b) the weight of things I need to have (tent, sleep system, etc.).
I haven’t fished mirror lake highway in several years due to how bad the fishing pressure has gotten. I think at this point, all the lakes on mirror lake highway that have drive up access are put and take. The ones that are more than a mile hike are better but many of them are filled with stunted brookies. I’ve also found midge tip fishing deep to be very productive,especially outside of hours where fish are rising. The method also appears to be selective of higher quality fish.

stenacron

Reaction score
I haven’t fished mirror lake highway in several years due to how bad the fishing pressure has gotten. I think at this point, all the lakes on mirror lake highway that have drive up access are put and take. The ones that are more than a mile hike are better but many of them are filled with stunted brookies. I’ve also found midge tip fishing deep to be very productive,especially outside of hours where fish are rising. The method also appears to be selective of higher quality fish.
Absolutely right about the pressure along MLH... especially last summer when nobody was traveling... had to get to trailheads by 6:00a or forget it.

The rub is finding lakes within a day hike for fishing... it's already 3 hrs (min) in the car driving to/fro... then the hike time in/out... and I like to get a fair amount of time on one lake to really sample it. That makes for a slow learning process though.

And to date, I haven't made good choices during backpacking trips... at least fishing-wise.