Balanced Leech (streamers)

losthwy

Reaction score
Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope"
I took the approach shown in video and have been tying my Blanksaver Streamers using the Dritz pins. Which you can buy at stores like Walmart for a few bucks that will last a lifetime. With a little trial and error adjust the pin so the head it slightly heavier while hanging on a piece of mono or copper wire. With the materials on the body it will balance out.
Balanced Leech (Streamers)

Last edited:

flav

Reaction score
I do a fair amount of Stillwater fishing, and leeches under an indicator are standard on several of the lakes I fish. My buddy loves the balanced leech concept and does pretty well with them. Lots of other guys I talk to on the lakes swear by balanced leeches too. I've tried them and dislike them, mainly because I always end up bending the pin when I'm unhooking fish. I went to a 60° jig hook with a Tungsten bead, no pin. My flies may not sit as level as my buddy's, but I don't worry about it and I catch just as many fish as he does.

LOC

Reaction score
I've tied a few as well (fun tie) when I came across the pattern just because I thought it was a nifty trick and I like to try different things at the vice.
This is purely anecdotal but I did catch my two largest Rainbows on balanced leech flies. I would never say they were the cause of my good fortune but at least I know they don't suck either. Lol I fished them like a streamer on the strip. It's actually a bit annoying when you pull the fly on a back cast because moving the CG back causes the fly to have a lot more resistance. It's basically coming out of the water broadsided.

That said, it pushes more water when stripped which could be a benefit in low light.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
The balanced leech is a necessity for me fishing stillwater up here in CO. I tie them fairly large in black, white, and olive with some flash. The big trout in Spinney usually approve....like this one today:

stenacron

Reaction score
My #1 fly early/late season when the water is super cold. I use the dressmaker pins from Walmart... clipped/tied ala Phil Rowley.

Recipe_stillwater_Balanced Leech.jpg