Bamboo rod, reel seat is spinning

Acheron

Reaction score
I have an old South Bend bamboo rod and the reel seat has decided to spin. I would prefer to keep the reel seat and repair it, if possible. I searched a bit and was surprised I could find anything. Seems like this would be a common fix posted on the interwebs.

Can someone please point me to (or provide) instructions to repair such an issue?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I read the link.... don't do that.
On your stove heat up a pot of water deep enough to submerge the reel seat
Wrap the seat in a plastic bag and stand it up in the boiling water.
After a fairly short time, any glue will have melted and you should, (with gloves) be able to pull the seat off.
To repair, clean it all up and build up new "bushings" of masking tape. Three or four is plenty, you need spaces in between for the glue
Dry fit, then using 10 minute epoxy, glue the seat back in place.
You could use regular 5 minute epoxy but you better get it right and the excess glue cleaned off in time

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
The only other thing you might have to do is your reelseat might be pinned. Look over the reelseat, mostly at the end cup, there might be a small brad going through the metal and into the bamboo. If so, you’ll need to pull it out first. You can reinsert it later but I usually don’t, unless the tiny hole bothers you.

trev

Reaction score
@Bambooflyguy , can a pinned seat spin? It is a good point to examine the seat for a pin before attempting to remove it, I've never had a seat that was pinned. But it's not too uncommon for old adhesives to fail, especially if left in overheated cars, ferrules and tiptops suffer the same failures of thermoplastic adhesives,

el jefe

Reaction score
Acheron, what part of the reel seat is spinning? Is it a downlocker or uplocker, threaded or slide band? Is it the insert, or a piece of the skeleton hardware? Is it the whole unit? Does it have a recessed hood? The part that is spinning will dictate the type of repair, which can vary from just pulling off parts and re-applying epoxy, to going with something more involved, as noted above.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Unless it was changed, it should be a down locking screw ring seat. Is the reelseat spinning 360 degrees or just side to side loose? Even if was pinned originally, the pins rust and could be just enough there to spin but not come off....

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pinned reel seat? I think it depends on model and age, almost all of them I worked on had pinned ferrules but the seats varied. I've seen them with a bamboo colored early plastic resin, bakelite type black and a few metal ones too. Pictures would help..............

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have 2 South Bends
The 1938 #25 has a nickle silver and Bakelite seat. No pin
The #359-9 from the '50s has a steel up-locking seat and that one is definitely pinned

The #25

IMGP0013_4.JPGIMGP0013_4.JPG

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Man those are sweet! Have you ever seen the ones with the synthetic seat and butt on which the butt cap is actually threaded and creates the up lock force for the hood? I can't say what the seat was made of because I gave it to a guy at least 40 years ago.

Acheron

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and questions! I am still new to bamboo and have never built or really looked into how rods are assembled. Please let this not be another rabbit hole and lead me down the path of an expensive rod building hobby :D :D

Please correct me if you see something in the pics which is different:
- Model 323
- Uplocking, screw in, butt cap different than Rip's #25
- I could not find any small holes where a pin used to be, doesn't mean there isn't one there which I cannot see. I am also not sure what I am looking for, so it'll be a bit tougher for me to find unless it's obvious.
- The top reel seat does spin and seems to be solidly attached. Should this spin?

Soooo....I took another look at the rod and gave a tug on the reel seat and it came right off!! No boiling needed. I did not find any pins, maybe it was missing/fell out/etc. and that was the issue...I'm not sure. The seat slid right off and took little effort, there does not appear to be any glue on it at all. I don't see any glue residue either.

Is it possible someone refurbished this and forgot to glue the seat back on? The cork is in mint condition and I have no info on the rod's background. :unsure: :unsure:

Here are a few pics including the reel seat on and off:

So I guess now I just need to put it back on as suggested?

10 minute epoxy is fine, I'm in no rush and tend to glue my fingers together as much as whatever I'm putting together. :D

el jefe

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and questions! I am still new to bamboo and have never built or really looked into how rods are assembled. Please let this not be another rabbit hole and lead me down the path of an expensive rod building hobby :D :D
Hahahahahaha...too late!!

Acheron

Reaction score
Come on guys.....see the little hole in the front hood and the little hole in the black plastic reelseat? That’s where the pin was!
Oh man, it does seem obvious now that you point it out :D :D That's why pics are so important, eh?! Having never once taken a rod apart, I had no idea what I was looking for and was looking in between the cork and upper reel seat for a pin!! :D :D

The seat is not plastic though, it's metal, just to be clear so I don't use the wrong glue.

So...use a bit of epoxy and slide the reel seat back in aligning the holes, then push a small brad nail into the hole. By having both, it will prevent the upper seat from spinning as well because the nail goes through everything into the inner cork plus ties the upper to the lower, which is now epoxied on, so neither spin.

Sound correct?

Last edited: