Bamboo??

LePetomane

Reaction score
Some more eye candy with a Colorado theme. A Jenkins GA 75 - 7'6" 3/2 for a 4 or 5 (I prefer a 5). My understanding is that it was built in the early 90s and that both Charlie and Steve worked on this one. The pics below don't do it justice. I pair it with a Hardy Golden Prince.
The Jenkins is a beautiful rod. I have my eye on one on the secondary market. Tempting.

Woodensticks76

Reaction score
OK: So you want something new to talk about.

How about this rod, a 7.6 ft. Quad, 5 weight, 2-2 configuration, 5-3/4 oz., 17/ 64th. ferrule, made of Bethabara, completely silk-wrapped with 0000 Gosimer from tip to butt on all 3 sections, the grip, and seat I made my self. A very good Rainbow and Brown trout rod.

Reflex-1.JPGReflex-2.JPGReflex-3.JPGReflex-5.JPGReflex-6.JPGReflex-7.JPG

LePetomane

Reaction score
Mike, very nice work. A departure from the traditional cork grips which soil over time. My questions are this. How comfortable is it and how much weight does it add to the rod and is it noticeable?

Something I might mention are the products from Silver Trout. I have a rod that the tip section twists at the ferrule after 3 hours of fishing. Don Schroeder recommended the Pig Sty ferrule lube for this. It works like a charm.

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Hi Mike, my name is Steve and I’m a bambooholic too.....very nice custom wood grips! I’ve been redoing butt sections with swelled mortised grips for years. Probably around 30 so far.....and prefer the feel, looks and action they add to cane rods. Most weigh the same as other finished rods and aren’t slippery even when wet. Keep posting your rods please!

duker

Reaction score
OK: So you want something new to talk about.

How about this rod, a 7.6 ft. Quad, 5 weight, 2-2 configuration, 5-3/4 oz., 17/ 64th. ferrule, made of Bethabara, completely silk-wrapped with 0000 Gosimer from tip to butt on all 3 sections, the grip, and seat I made my self. A very good Rainbow and Brown trout rod.

View attachment 28910View attachment 28911View attachment 28912View attachment 28913View attachment 28914View attachment 28915
I don't know diddly squat about bamboo, but that is frickin' beautiful. Well done, sir.

Woodensticks76

Reaction score
Three sections assembled are 2.11 ounces for this 6.0 ft. Brookie. and that's because of the wood grip which is redwood and spruce.
If it were a cork grip the rod would total 2.4 oz. and was difficult to find a reel light enough to balance the rod at the check.
A person could fish all day with this ergonomic grip and a two-weight shooting tip line [about 45 feet] or a floating Running fly line [about35 feet].
Where I was fishing I could roll cast with the ST line to 30 feet with a 6X tippet which is all I needed.
This would be perfect for the Colorado brush creeks and Pennsylvania tree-covered streams.
Mike

Woodensticks76

Reaction score
Well, be careful of what and where you buy, way too many Chinese blanks and kits being passed as not Chinese.
You begin with good blanks you will still have a good rod even if you make mistakes with cosmetics.
So many rods shops shut down now but some are still active depending on your budget, I can't steer you on that.
Start with Classic Cane Forum, North Carolinas is a good source, my friend in Fla. gets his from England but the September shipment might arrive in January or March for him. What can I say, everybody blames everything gone wrong on Covid-19.
Wait until January. = Mike
PS: Buy stock in a Microwave, Toaster-oven, Slow-cooker company because everyone is eating at home.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
draylo,
Check out eBay or your local Craig’s list for used vintage blue collar bamboo and completely strip it down and redo it. Just a thought.....

Woodensticks76

Reaction score
Ebay, [the den of thieves] is the last place on earth I would ever recommend to anyone.
I had an account on ebay from 1998 to 2017, you could not pay me enough money to sit among those criminals again.
And stay away from pay-pal, just one of the enemies of America.

You might try Anglers Marketplace Auction, it's a good place to buy but not to sell.
There are several rods on there right now, download the site first then click on the active catalog, in the left bar type in bamboo rods.
But buying used cane only guarantees you age and ownership flaws. Start bad, finish bad.

dtaylo1066

Reaction score
I was thinking of a blank from a reputable supplier like Hook and Hackle or Epic (Swift Fly Fishing). I would not try an online cheap Ebay blank.

Woodensticks76

Reaction score
Before you do that from H&H, see if you can ask questions on the Classic Cane forum.
Or I can ask for you, and what exactly are you looking for, length, weight, configuration [3-2 or 2-2], a specific taper, dark or light color?
$Budget$ not including, cork, reel seat, bag, and tube?

Ard

Manager
Staff member
Reaction score
I am posting as Ard the member not as a moderator, OK?

With regards to the auction site .........

One thing that has stuck with me ever since my first year of collage was when a Professor was giving the ground rules for research papers. He said that when compiling information and composing papers we were to avoid broad and sweeping generalizations. He went on to inform us that these B&SG's could be proven wrong and we were to provide honest research works not articles for debate. So Dr. Walker's proclamation regarding the use of broad and sweeping generalizations has proven true to me so many times I actually believe he was correct.

So what the heck is that about? I've been a crafty consumer and smart with my resources for a long time. Through the past 15 years I have made some fantastic finds and purchases on the big auction site, too many to name but many. The once free now with fees e banking system is accepted almost world wide I think and enables me to make purchases from the UK, America, France, Finland, Australia and Canada with secure transactions.

The auctions are no longer a good place for me to sell items because of the ever escalating fees but I still use the site for purchasing. A prospective buyer needs to research what it is they wish to buy and then ask questions of the seller if they have any doubts about the item in question.

For rod or reel purchasing you can look to the top of both the 'Fly Rods' or 'Fly Reels' sub forums for Pinned threads Tips for Buying Used. Those threads contain about every possible pitfall a person could encounter on the used tackle market.

Woodensticks76

Reaction score
Buyer/ seller beware! I believe that message is posted on just about every forum, fishing, hunting, collecting of anything.
Nineteen years pretty much makes me an experienced authority on the "BIG" auction.
I've been screwed too many times for too many years to claim to be naive, a novice, or ignorant.
Things are no longer the same as they were and both ebay and paypal protect the scammer.
The net has an abundance of information at the ready.
Beware of the knock offs, you can buy a Dickerson or a Payne for $700.00.
Yes, there were some very good buys prior to 2015 but now I'm long on suspicion and short on trust.
Fortunately, I'm 77, and little or nothing that I need from the den of iniquity.

My intention was to start the gentlemen off with new cane and to avoid the aged and therefore faulty vintage cane.
There is no way of knowing what you are buying through photos, otherwise, there is only trust, and I already covered that.

Woodensticks76

Reaction score
May I offer a suggestion; and that is to look up on your browser:

Carlin Rod Co. bamboo blanks, good stuff.
Albaugh Rod Co. bamboo blanks, good stuff.
Also, there are two makers in North Carolina.
Golden Witch Technologies in Pennsylvania.
Mike

rsagebrush

Reaction score
The 'Big Auction' site is certainly a good place to purchase items from and I have been doing it for longer than 17 years. Of course there are certain sellers' that perhaps are less than ethical, there's certainly a plethora of legitimate sellers and always have been, they are many buyers that are less than ethical too. The site has many items that I can not find elsewhere. As with anything else, buyer beware, that's why there is PayPal too.
I sell on the 'Big Auction' sometimes and I'm not a thief.
You must know your product and that will reduce your risk. I don't usually buy bamboo off of the Bay because it's a rather risky proposition and certainly so for a newbie. Also I have never had a problem returning an item I was not satisfied with or was in my opinion misdescribed.
I have curtailed dealings with the 'Big Auction' substantially because of sales tax and all the other fees associated with it, including PayPal fees.
As concerns PayPal, never had a problem with them, they have always been very helpful on both sides of a sale.
If I was interested in acquiring an additional bamboo rod I would go through a reputable dealer, not generally an auction site.

photoguy

Reaction score
Nothing really to add other than the fact that I've been curious for a while to try a bamboo rod just to see what the fuss is all about. Maybe someday I'll bump into someone willing to let me make a cast or 2. And or the record, I have no issues with e(you know)... and have bought and sold there for a long long time.

Is there a reason why the auction site isn't named? And this isn't the only place where that's the case but I've honestly never understood why that is-

Last edited:

Woodensticks76

Reaction score
Well, the point I was trying to make is that the seller needs to be very afraid of ebay, paypal, and the buyer in league with both.
Quite literally thousands have bailed out of PP and ebay every year, and even ebay has now separated from paypal.
And there is no one that I know of personally including my children and great-grandchildren who have not cancelled their PP accounts.

It's the Holidays and this subject is very upsetting to me.
So, Merry Christmas.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Well, the point I was trying to make is that the seller needs to be very afraid of ebay, paypal, and the buyer in league with both.
Quite literally thousands have bailed out of PP and ebay every year, and even ebay has now separated from paypal.
And there is no one that I know of personally including my children and great-grandchildren who have not cancelled their PP accounts.

It's the Holidays and this subject is very upsetting to me.
So, Merry Christmas.
0523DD4E-CC50-4133-A763-02F147B07C03.jpeg