Bam's Fly Photos

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
The photography is great. I’m most impressed with the quality of work from someone new at fly tying.
Thanks! I really do appreciate that. I try to be accurate and pay attention to the details so it's encouraging when folks acknowledge it. Lets me know I'm headed in the right direction. :giggle:

My latest creation is a play on the houdini weave from Justin Bruce, I call it the Bam’s Escapist.

Last edited:

LOC

Reaction score
Thanks! I really do appreciate that. I try to be accurate and pay attention to the details so it's encouraging when folks acknowledge it. Lets me know I'm headed in the right direction. :giggle:

My latest creation is a play on the houdini weave from Justin Bruce, I call it the Bam’s Escapist.
Hi Bam, flies are looking good and you have made drastic improvements to your fly photography!

So now lets work on small tweaks to improve your images. Whenever you have a strong graphic vertical in a image it's best to have it vertical.
If you throw grid lines over your image you'll find the presentation stand that your fly is sitting on is falling over to the left. It's not a major issue but consciously or subconciously it can cause a uneasy feeling for the viewer.

Last edited:

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
Funny I tied some Klinkhamers myself a bit bigger though size 12. Trying different shade in the background.

JoJer

Reaction score
I really like the use of known objects to give scale to the subject.
When I stick five flies in a standard pencil eraser, any tyer can guess pretty close what size they are. Non tyers can tell how tiny they are. I've solved that piece of the message and can concentrate on fighting my camera for more depth of field.

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
Im liking the darker gradient and now Im messing with some diffusing cloth. I would like to do more natural scenes out on locations or better yet side by side with its hatch.

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
On the ground vs in holder, I like it on the ground and its crazy how the shadow creates such a buggy silhouette.

Chris_in_Louisiana

Reaction score
I've been playing with the concept of a parachute-style Wasp pattern lately. Still in the works (140 denier black thread ruined the head on this one), but here's attempt #2.

Parachute Wasp resize.JPG

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
My very first improvised Salmon style fly, and I tried some detail shots to go with it. Its for a gift.

LOC

Reaction score
Psychology of depth of field.

When DOF becomes a integral part of the image you need to consider how you are directing the viewer, what is the pay off, how is it executed and is it pleasing to the eye. DOF when used as a strong component of a image is as important as your composition.

Remember that your are eye wants to go to the sharpest part of a image and also the brightest. If these two themes are competing it reduces the impact of the image...

You have grown leaps and bounds from your first images!

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the thread is no longer new and by the time I'd reached the bottom of page 2 and posted again I must say you are one very good tier. That goes for you too Chris!

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
Wally Wing Dun's
I find it hard taking pictures of multiple flies when it's not a ton of them. The spacing never feels comfortable to me for some reason.

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
Working on some different style dries lately. Testing my new Ring light out as well.

LOC

Reaction score
Wally Wing Dun's
I find it hard taking pictures of multiple flies when it's not a ton of them. The spacing never feels comfortable to me for some reason.

Yes trying to compose small detailed objects together can be tough.
The arrangement of the top two flies is working but the third bottom fly is being difficult.
I like seeing the hook bends on the top two flies and are very pleasing shapes to the eye. I find because I'm missing that nice shape on the third fly my mind struggles to define it and where the junction of the overlap also is confusing. In laymen terms we would say it is busy.

Since you have the luxury of digital just shoot your first thoughts and keep moving the items around. If you are using PS or something similar, lay out all the images in a proof sheet on the screen Take a quick look and edit what you like and dislike then recreate the composition to incorporate what was working...

Background, there is nothing wrong with using your hand as a background. I do it all the time it's a nice easy way to give your flies some scale and you can manipulate the shape as well. What you need to keep in mind is how is the hand being defined?
It can get odd depending on how you crop a image using a hand. For example it can be uneasy to the viewer if it looks like you are missing finger or fingers but not in a good way. Also showing flesh can get tricky you don't want it to look like medical photography. Usually this comes down to how you are lighting.

Overall composition, you have three objects in this image but if you pull back and just focus on the overall shape you have a composition that we refer to as a circle in a square. This is not the literal sense since your frame is a rectangle but it is a way to describe a composition that has become a target shape or bulls eye. If you take your hands and hold them over the top right and left corners of this image on your computer screen revealing only the palm of your hand and flies it will become more apparent you have made a circle in a square. There is nothing wrong in general composing in the center of the frame. It has more to do with the relationship of the scale of the objects to the frame of your image. When the two spaces are neither pushing in or out the image can become static. I hope that helps you to understand why you are having trouble with this particular image. Keep up the good work!