Barbless or barbed hooks?

Barbed, Barbless or both?

• Total voters

bibio1st

Reaction score
Generally crushed barbs, the hooks I prefer tend to be barbed so I crush them, the bump it creates might help with hook hold, I coarse fished for years before getting into fly fishing and it's 100% barbless or de barbed in the UK so I'm used to it.

Steve

factor

Reaction score
I've fished both for different reasons- and will likely continue to do so. Typically, my decision is not necessarily based on species, but rather hook quality/availability for a given fly I'm tying/fishing.

bocast

Reaction score
Barbless. An unpinned fish or two is no big deal. It made me better at keeping tension during the fight. It is a blood sport, and I killed one smallmouth who took a small popper into it's gills. One in more than a decade of fishing sits OK with my fishing conscience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bluwave

Reaction score
It all depends on the species. I'll crush the barbs when I'm fishing for redfish, but I'll leave them when I'm in the keys looking for tarpon/permit. Ha, I need all the help I can get trying to leader one of those beasts.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I go barbless for trout, barbed for tougher mouths. On a side note, there are a lot of posts here about folks hooking themselves, so I figured I'd share what I know about the mono hook removal trick. I've seen this performed recently on a friend and he returned to fishing with only a sore thumb. *Warning* this video shows a guy hooking himself intentionally with a treble hook, which is a little hard to watch. YouTube

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Once, on a lazy cast in high wind, I hooked myself right in the corner of the mouth with a size 2/0 Clouser. :wow:
Because of the wide hook gape, it fit perfectly over my lip, never even breaking the skin.
With a hook that hadn't had the barb crushed, I wouldn't have been so lucky

dennyk

Reaction score
For trout and panfish I fish barbless hooks. For bigger fish, bass, carp, Steelhead and salmon I stick with the barbed hooks.

Denny

Tanker

Reaction score
I mostly use barbless hooks. On 3 occasion I will go with Barb. 1. Bass fishing (I haven't found the technique to land bass without a barb.) I lose my be 50% on barbless. 2. Helping my kids fish 3. When I forget. I don't forget a lot but it has happen because I tie all my flys with the Barb and then smash them stream side.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Barbless......
I have found after 47 years of fly testing......only bait guys, recovering bait guys, and beginners need barbs.
The rest of us can get by without. And STILL catch fish.....
Fishing is not supposed to be a sure thing.

Jim

ifitswims

Reaction score
When I am on a harvest trip i use barbed hooks if I have them. I also use barbed hooks when i forget to pinch the barbs down.

boisker

Reaction score
Always barbless for me...
It I voted barbed... I wasn’t paying attention on my iPad and caught the wrong tab:rolleyes:

hatidua

Reaction score
100% barbed. For me it's occupation insurance: I shoot photos for a living and it's really tough to get a great photo of that fish that got away.

Fishing, with any kind of hook, puts a hole in the mouth of a fish. If I really wanted to do less harm to fish, I'd give up fishing altogether. I've accepted that it does in fact do harm to fish. I've made my peace with it.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Last summer I found a new reason to mash the barbs on my flies: to make releasing my buddy's dog a little easier.

I was trying out a buddy's new rod, and he had a sz 6 streamer tied on. After half a dozen casts or so, I mangled a backcast, and as soon as I went to the forward cast I knew something wan't quite right. About halfway through the stroke, I felt a clunk. I knew I'd hit something with the line or fly so I stopped the cast immediately and turned around to find my buddy's dog about 25 feet behind me, line draped over his shoulder, with a funny look on his face.

Apparently, the dog had been chasing my backcast around, and finally managed to get himself hooked. Moments later I removed the offending fly from his off side, which was easy as I'd mashed the barb just minutes before. Otherwise we might've had to take that dog to the vet.

So remember, dog's hides matter. Go barbless.

Peace.

hatidua

Reaction score
Last summer I found a new reason to mash the barbs on my flies: to make releasing my buddy's dog a little easier.
Or humans!

A few years back I was on a flat quite far from land in Seychelles. An errant gust of wind changed the trajectory of a cast and the #4 bonefish fly intended for a fish in front of me buried itself well beyond the barb in the back of my right leg. I had a decision to make: A) cut the tippet, go back (distantly) to land and sort it out, or B) reach down with a hemostat, yank the fly out and get on with it.

It was momentarily bloody, but I went with option B.

JoJer

Reaction score
My first fly rod was a Shakespeare composite 7 wt. That piece of...gear coupled with my learner casting let me hear those Zzziinngg! noises from weighted buggers going past my ear in both directions. I heard and heeded the warning. I crush every barb at the vise. Most of the water I fish is single/barbless anyway.