Bass pro buys Sportsmans Warehouse!

burk48237

Reaction score
I personally don't think this is good for the industry. Bass Pro has already reduced the assortments and arguably the quality at Cabelas. I don't think all of the big boxes being cookie cutters is a good thing.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I personally don't think this is good for the industry. Bass Pro has already reduced the assortments and arguably the quality at Cabelas. I don't think all of the big boxes being cookie cutters is a good thing.

I have never shopped at either but do not like the shrinking of competitive businesses into one option.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I consider this a negative. The Anchorage Cabelas is a total overkill, like REI but with guns for the cosmopolitan market.

Years ago Bass Pro built a Gigantic store in Anchorage which I thought was odd. The city had a large Sportsman's Wearhouse and the Cabelas so I didn't quite get "The Outpost", that's what they call the store.

Because we are already plagued with invasive species here just the name Bass Pro was a guarantee that I would never set foot on the property and I never have. They will eventually go bankrupt and we may see a couple small businesses come back.

I don't live in Anchorage, I go there maybe 8 - 10 times a year but used to go more often when World Wide Angler was still my favorite fly shop. He survived Sportsman's, he even survived Cabelas but when Bass Pro announced their Grand Opening the fly shop closed. It was cool going to WWA, he knew my name and we could talk about area conditions, hated to see the place close.

Meuniere

Reaction score
This is not good news, BUT: as much as it is, or has been, a convenience to have local shops where folks may have known each other, the staff were knowledgeable, the gear was personally chosen, etc, etc... NOW is the time to focus our patronage on not only the remaining "locals," but also those independents who have been able to manage by selling on-line. I understand we can't wiggle their rods and so on, but in part, that's why we have this Forum (to share personal perspective and information on gear, etc). Personally I think it might be useful, without doing particular promotions for anyone, to have some kind of a state-by-state listing of shops that Forum members use and think highly of. Just a list, no PR or marketing. I get asked on a regular basis about where to shop on-line (because what is left here is a Cabela's), and I have my own list of 8 or 10 good retailers I use. What do you think?

wjlapier

Reaction score
Suspiciously, the only locally owned flyshop closed when Sportmans Warehouse opened. I've gotten to know a few of the guys there and one guy in particular is an avid fly fisherman traveling from river to river in our area and shares lots of info with me. I hope things don't change too much.

Leprechaun

Reaction score
This is absolutely terrible... Bass Pro use to be decent when I was a kid. Cabela's was where you went to order the dream tackle and gear. Sportsman's Warehouse, was where you went to get the "hard to find" items. Progress is nice, but monopolies are not... Let's give another one to Corporate America! Where they only understand the numbers coming in, and not the satisfaction of the customer! Yay!!! NOT!!!!! Give me a local any day, that is fair with their prices. Granted I might spend $10 more at the local, but the local has the better knowledge of their products and way better customer service! I call that fair-priced (the locals)!

okaloosa

Reaction score
Johnny Morris built himself an empire without going public....an amazing accomplishment in terms being of a visionary businessman.
No matter what you think of BPS you have to admire his accomplishments using his own money to succeed. I do not think his business plan is anywhere as predatory as that of the wall street and silicon valley kingpins.....but maybe I am wrong if you guys know something I dont.

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
I got to see Bass Pro from its very humble start in an old closed-down K-Mart in Springfield-actually, Johnny Morris sold bass jigs from cards at the check out counter of his dad's liquor stores- to where it is now. Johnny did alright, I'd say.
I prefer to shop at local shops, but for my fly fishing needs, I have to shop BP- the local shops here on the Gulf Coast are not so very much into long rod stuff. I do order all of my rod building materials from a small St Louis shop- Get Bent Fly Shop.
I don't enjoy going into BP, but sometimes it's necessary.
good day to all- Ed

jayr

Reaction score
Johnny Morris built himself an empire without going public....an amazing accomplishment in terms being of a visionary businessman.
No matter what you think of BPS you have to admire his accomplishments using his own money to succeed. I do not think his business plan is anywhere as predatory as that of the wall street and silicon valley kingpins.....but maybe I am wrong if you guys know something I dont.

I think to many, at least myself and friends I've talked to, it's not how he developed his business it is the apparent lower quality of goods that permeates throughout the BPS lineup. Cabela's gear was pretty top notch, much better than BPS.

I basically consider BPS the "Walmart" of the sporting goods businesses. Has Johnny Morris been successful, absolutely, but it is the quality of the goods as good as it could be, no.

Just my .02 worth.

Chris_in_Louisiana

Reaction score
Disappointing to say the least. Since moving to Louisiana, I've had a Bass Pro and Cabela's within 20 minutes of me. After a few years I learned, the former wasn't worth the time. Since being purchased by the former, the latter hasn't been worth my time either. Hate to hear another big chain has been absorbed as well.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I believe it was about a year or so ago that Sportsmans Warehouse acquired a number of Field and Stream stores (owned by Dick's I believe) and rebranded them as SW locations. So while I believe F&S still exists, in terms of bricks and mortar locations what not that long ago were stores owned by four different companies are now under common ownership. Generally not a good thing for the consumer.

I've never set foot in a SW, but this isn't going to affect me personally at all. I buy all of my stuff from traditional shops. Before the BPS-Cabela's merger, I did often buy close out items from Cabela's online. Some great deals--Rio Golds for under $30, a Redington Classic Trout for $74, a re-issued Ross Gunnison for 40-50% off and others I'm forgetting. I think they would but items being closed out in bulk, and then sell them at prices that couldn't be found elsewhere. That changed after the BPS merger and I don't even bother to go on the Cabela's website much anymore.

As someone had mentioned above, all the more reason to try and support traditional shops.

LePetomane

Reaction score
While I applaud the success of Johnny Morris, how many locally owned small sporting goods stores and fly shops did he undercut? I blame Cabelas for the demise of the best fly shop in the Twin Cities. One of the other shops survived in spite of them but they were not in the same league as Bentley's Outfitters.

We have a Sportsman's Warehouse here in Sheridan. Their fly fishing section is adequate for most. They are well stocked in firearms. I seldom see more than ten cars in the parking lot so this recent acquisition makes me wonder if they will be around much longer.

Bonesonthebrain

Reaction score
Bass Pro started out as a discount fishing store, they also had their own version of name brand items at a lower cost, their rods were pretty good but reels not so much. Now they have mostly crap for their version of stuff and prices for many name brand items are over MSRP. So much for bulk buying and passing on the discount, seems like they up the price of name brand stuff to get you buy their branded junk. Liked the stores back in the 90’s, but will not set foot in them today. They essentially gutted the Cabelas brand, which sucks.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I think to many, at least myself and friends I've talked to, it's not how he developed his business it is the apparent lower quality of goods that permeates throughout the BPS lineup. Cabela's gear was pretty top notch, much better than BPS.

I basically consider BPS the "Walmart" of the sporting goods businesses. Has Johnny Morris been successful, absolutely, but it is the quality of the goods as good as it could be, no.

Just my .02 worth.
no argument from me there....and I am equally impressed with the success of Walmart when you think of where they first came from. These are not businesses that are the brainchild of wall street hipsters and elites. They started in the heartland of Missouri and Arkansas and became successful because they gave most people what they wanted. You have to respect that. But I agree, I prefer a mom and pop store. I used to buy my fishing and archery equipment from a mom and pop store in the early 1970's located in Binghamton New York . It was called "Dicks"...now there are about a thousand of them. I prefer the original and cringe when I tag along with someone who wants to go there.BRB11.19Dicks-vintage.jpg

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
Johnny sells what people buy. Pretty simple business plan. Cabela's was at the point of death when he took it over and trimmed out all the slow moving merchandise and likely some dead loss items.
The sporting goods market is glutted with "affordable" goods and the average consumer doesn't want top shelf goods. BPS would be gone along with Herters if they just depended on fly fishing sales and even faster if they depended on top end fly fishing sales.
I have a former Cabela's 20 minutes away and the BPS HQ store is 90 minutes in the other direction, I have been to both many times and will go again, just to look and compare; window shop if you will, in total over several years I may have spent $40 in the two combined. Do you know in all those dozens of visits no one ever tried to force me to buy anything? The thing is that some one buys enough "stuff" from them that they keep growing and growing. BPS is a business not a service.
Both the Cabela's before BPS and the BPS make most of their business as clothing retailers, not sporting goods in general and surely not in fly fishing goods.

the norseman

Reaction score
This is really bad for Consumers and Employees.

When Cabela's was bought by Great American Outdoors Group, within months
I could see a decline in quality merchandise and the employees confidence
when I talked to some of the one's I recognized for years.

I mean who does this?, stocks 6 bags of 45 Schofield brass when it should be
45Colt (and none on the shelf).

Then the Web Site changed. I could not find items as easily as before. They
would also flash up "How we doing?" You bet I would tell them and I'm in
the process of getting rid of their Credit/Points Card.

Our Cabela's has a bigger Fly Fishing Dept. I believe because Fly Fishing done
here more. They finally after about 8 years, have someone in there that
understands Fly Fishing.

If someone asks me about Fly Fishing, I always tell them about Hans and
Dakota Angler and Outfitter Fly Shop.

I'll probably see the same here in the Cheyenne Wyoming's Sportsman's
Warehouse, decline, time will tell.

The Best to you all and your Christmas.
DSC00270.JPG

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
We drive 100 miles north to cabelas and bass pro just to walk around and look at the fish etc. But I buy my hooks and crap at sportsman warehouse in town. We also have a nice fly shop in town I buy gear at. 100 miles north there are no fly shops anymore. This is not going to end well.