Bass pro buys Sportsmans Warehouse!

el jefe

Reaction score
This is interesting to me. We lament the buyout of one big box outdoor store by another big box outdoor store, and wail about how all of their fly fishing sections are tiny and garbage and getting worse because of the merger and you can't really buy anything from there, and they are putting the little guy out of business who actually sold fly fishing stuff. Yet our rivers and streams have become way more crowded. Where are all of these people getting their gear?

Leprechaun

Reaction score
They're getting it all online as far as I can tell. Mainly made in China gear, like most inexpensive things are.

My question is, how can a company say it costs more, for them to make an item here, when everything that the item requires to be made, is already here? Like, clothes for example. We have the cotton, the gin, the man power, and the logistics. How is it cheaper to have it made in China or Thailand? Just asking out of curiosity.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
They haven't been the old company for a while now.

Still a bummer. Their website often would show fishing items in stock, but not available on-line, so why have a webstore?

The nearest SW to us is about 2.5 hours away ( in the non-fishing direction ), but still they would from time to time have a great kip or bucktail, overlooked by the few tyers who ventured in.

Overall they're ripe for the picking, even if that picking is only to close down overlapping stores in a given location to gain market share for Bass Pro same store sales. Got to be a gut check for long time employees of their Rocklin CA store with a Bass Pro just a few minutes to the south.

Sorry to see them go.

okaloosa

Reaction score
They're getting it all online as far as I can tell. Mainly made in China gear, like most inexpensive things are.

My question is, how can a company say it costs more, for them to make an item here, when everything that the item requires to be made, is already here? Like, clothes for example. We have the cotton, the gin, the man power, and the logistics. How is it cheaper to have it made in China or Thailand? Just asking out of curiosity.
labor costs
environmental costs
regulatory costs
all much higher in US...
we do have cheaper energy though (for now)

WWKimba

Reaction score
I come from a customer service background - 16 years and retired - and I found that I ALWAYS demand good service whether I am out eating, shopping, whatever. I did business with Bass Pro once because of poor service and product. If things are still business as usual I am disappointed.

Kim

el jefe

Reaction score

The internet, I believe, is the answer. Just posed the question to see what others thought.

As to your second paragraph, the answer about why it is cheaper to make in the Orient is labor costs. There may be some raw materials that are sourced elsewhere that are cheaper, but the primary cost difference is the human part. And in the case of some countries and industries, there is a fair amount of government subsidy that artificially reduces the cost to produce items.

LePetomane

Reaction score
There were three Cabelas, three Gander Mountains and one BPS in the Twin Cities when I left there two years ago. The Cabelas in Owatonna was more of a destination store. Their parking lot was always full. License plates from a lot of different states. The suburb of Woodbury where I lived for a while saw a Sportsman's Warehouse come and go as did a Gander Mountain when Cabelas came to town.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
This is interesting to me. We lament the buyout of one big box outdoor store by another big box outdoor store, and wail about how all of their fly fishing sections are tiny and garbage and getting worse because of the merger and you can't really buy anything from there, and they are putting the little guy out of business who actually sold fly fishing stuff.
I might well feel differently if I owned or worked in a fly shop, but I too wonder how much these big boxes really affect small/traditional fly shops. To me they tend to cater to different customer bases.

Now in terms of the big boxes, my only familiarity was with Cabela's pre-BPS merger. For customers focused solely on price, I understand the attraction. Their house brand rods, reels and other items cost less than those made by gear companies. But the gear made by other companies that they stocked--off hand I recall some Sage, Redington and TFO rods, Lamson reels, Fishpond gear bags, Rio and SA fly lines--were sold at the same prices as found everywhere else. And at least at my Cabela's they wouldn't even allow you to test cast a rod--though with their liberal return policy I guess you could buy it, cast in the parking lot and immediately return it. Anyway, I get that people with a casual interest in fly fishing may opt for the big box just because they're easier to find with their big signs and high traffic area locations, but I don't think they offer a price advantage (beyond house brand items), their selection is limited to a few brands and, in my experience, they don't offer the service or expertise of traditional shops. And would those casual/infrequent fly fishers have sought out the small shop anyway? Perhaps.

Anyways, I'm just not sure how many avid (for lack of a better term) fly fisherman spend their money at big boxes (which charge sales tax) over traditional shops. I would think the much bigger threat to traditional shops are similar shops out of state with good websites and free shipping policies. Hard to make a go of it if just selling flies, leaders and other low cost items. But I could be completely off base, and the big box impact much greater than I imagine.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Big Box - Fly Shop Killers?

There was a lot of hoopla when Cabela's and Scheels came to Reno / Sparks Nevada and the Reno fly shop closed down. Now there's a fly shop in Reno again, Scheels & Cabela's are still there. :cool:

Edit: I neglected to add that all the while there has been a Sportsmen's Warehouse in Reno along with a Sierra Trading Post store that bleeds discount fishing gear into the Reno market.

Last edited:

LePetomane

Reaction score
There was a lot of hoopla when Cabela's and Scheels came to Reno / Sparks Nevada and the Reno fly shop closed down. Now there's a fly shop in Reno again, Scheels & Cabela's are still there. :cool:
The majority of floor space in the Scheels in our area (Billings, MT) is taken up by clothing. The entire first floor is clothing. It looks like REI. Their fly fishing section isn't any competition for a good fly shop. Their firearm section is another story. A lot of pricey guns.

I'm wondering if BPS has them on their radar.

el jefe

Reaction score
I might well feel differently if I owned or worked in a fly shop, but I too wonder how much these big boxes really affect small/traditional fly shops. To me they tend to cater to different customer bases.
I think you make a good point there. The exception, I think, is how things played out where I live. For decades there only were local fly shops, so the consumer had no choice but to patronize the mom-and-pop shops. When Sportsmen's Warehouse and then Cabela's opened, it did draw some business away from the local shops. I think it was less a case of the big box taking customers (the Wal-Mart complaint) as it was the customer base--which was previously monolithic since there were only local shops--naturally separating itself into the two distinct customer bases that you identified. In one case, a local shop did itself no favors with some of its employees, who were raised on little to no competition and so were not driven to excellent customer service as a point of differentiation. Another local shop does a very good job of customer service, and they are doing quite well.

trout trekker

Reaction score
The majority of floor space in the Scheels in our area (Billings, MT) is taken up by clothing. The entire first floor is clothing. It looks like REI. Their fly fishing section isn't any competition for a good fly shop. Their firearm section is another story. A lot of pricey guns.

I'm wondering if BPS has them on their radar.
I think the immediate strategy is to eliminate the weakest direct competitor where there is overlap in a given market ( a horrible time in history to being doing this ). Regardless of any veiled promises that might get made to keep SW employees from abandoning the ship ( if they can find employment elsewhere ) stores like Reno, Vegas, Rocklin etc. would likely go in this scenario. They didn't buy SW for it's software, website, customer list or product lines.

trev

Reaction score
I think the immediate strategy is to eliminate the weakest direct competitor where there is overlap in a given market ( a horrible time in history to being doing this ). Regardless of any veiled promises that might get made to keep SW employees from abandoning the ship ( if they can find employment elsewhere ) stores like Reno, Vegas, Rocklin etc. would likely go in this scenario. They didn't buy SW for it's software, website, customer list or product lines.
C's is almost bankrupt, BPS saves them; SW is almost bankrupt, BPS saves them- I think the idea is to keep the consumers supplied so that they are happy. BPS extends it presence with out excessive investment and the town retains the jobs and the outlet.
I see the SW stock is up 37% so the investors/shareholders are doing great on this takeover.

Clothing is the retail place to be, who remembers when Abercrombie & Fitch were the premier sporting goods place?

Last edited:

jayr

Reaction score
C's is almost bankrupt, BPS saves them; SW is almost bankrupt, BPS saves them- I think the idea is to keep the consumers supplied so that they are happy. BPS extends it presence with out excessive investment and the town retains the jobs and the outlet.
I see the SW stock is up 37% so the investors/shareholders are doing great on this takeover.
Cabela's was almost bankrupt due to a capital investment group attaining ownership, long after the Cabela family divested itself of it, and just like most investment groups let the accountants run and manage it. Cutting costs down to the bone, doing away with the unconditional guarantee, etc. is what did them in via the bean counters. But that really doesn't matter to them as their job and aim was to get it sold to someone else which happened to be BPS. When those capital investment groups come in and swoop down on a business, it is only the short term goal of cutting costs that matters. There is no real concern for long term as they want/will have it sold way before then.

trev

Reaction score
Fact remains that it was a dead duck when Johnny got involved. The family were still in management iirc?

jayr

Reaction score
Fact remains that it was a dead duck when Johnny got involved. The family were still in management iirc?
The family had been out of it for years prior to BPS coming in. In the early 2000's Cabelas went public on the NYSE. That was about 2004. It was after that it was controlled by the capital investment group. At the time of the buyout, the Cabela family was out of it and had been for a while.

BPS had tried to buy Cabelas back in 2015 but that deal fell apart and it was not until 2017 that it got back on track and went through as I recall.

The lone surviving Cabela was against the sale FWIW.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Time will tell, but I don't see having two to three stores & staffs, peddling the same goods, just a few miles apart in a saturated market. Especially when you consider that many retail locales of SW are often in dying strip malls with poor visibility and traffic. Not the kind of in your face interstate frontage locales that BPS thrives on. Then there's the capital investment they'd have to make to all of those frumpy SW stores to bring them up to BPS , Cabela's retail standards.

I can just see retail outdoors / clothing shoppers now.
"Let's go to the BPS." -
" The one with the waterfalls, restaurant, aquarium and attractions for the kids?" -
No the smaller dark dingy dump on the poor side of town, the one with the dangerous parking lot " -
" Oh that one, pass ".

planettrout

Reaction score
I went into the SW in Lewiston, ID a couple of times. Their fly fishing stock was awful and their firearms selection was mediocre at best. The two best places in the area were the Red Shed over in Peck ID and The North 40 up the grade from Sportsman's Warehouse. I will never patronize a Bass Pro Shop...

Lewiston North 40, up on Thain Grade

The Red Shed in Peck, ID...about a quarter mile from the Clearwater River...

PT/TB

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
Until this thread came up, I thought Sportsman Warehouse was an internet supplier, never have seen a store or really heard of them, but more I hear the more it sounds like no great loss to the fly fishing world. I don't think I'd drive past "Mom's Pfin & Pfeather" to buy at a dark dingy place in a questionable area.
If you are up for a visit to BPS, try the Memphis Pyramid store. Our son and his family say it's worth seeing.