Bass pro buys Sportsmans Warehouse!

LePetomane

Reaction score
When I would go in there to look at clothes or gear in the off-season, it was like I was invading their world.
Make a major purchase in some of these fly shops and then ask for some recommendations on local waters. I usually research the waters ahead of time but this was a spur of the moment trip. Last summer I purchased ~$200 in clothing from a fly shop, asked about local waters and was sent on a wild goose chase. The creek recommended was a trickle and dead. All this after a long drive. It was a scenic drive so I did get to do some photography. I'm convinced that these shops save their closer waters for guided trips and do not encourage anglers passing through (like me) to fish there. I did phone the shop to express my disappointment with their advice. Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Monello

Reaction score
On a road trip a few years ago, I stopped in Sydney, NE for lunch. Talking with the locals, they all feared for their town once Cabela's went away. Some people call this progress.

hatidua

Reaction score
It's an odd conundrum as it pertains to fishing tackle vendors: we want them to do well, but not too well.

I'm not disagreeing with any of the sentiments put forth thus far in this thread, I'm just curious where the line is. Just one location?, sell only domestically made wares?, only X amount of sq ft?, when does a great business become too big, the moment it causes the competition to close? I don't know the answer to any of these, those are merely the questions this starts to open up.

There are multiple fly shops in the town of 100K where I live, I am certain any one of them would love for one or more of the others to close so as to absorb those customers. 30 years from now maybe people will be talking about how one of those fly shops had humble beginnings and is now taking over the industry but I'm convinced by that point there will be only one fly shop and it will be called Bezos, and it'll be where the fly rods and the groceries are both sold.

LePetomane

Reaction score
Sometimes it's worth considerably more. I got some pretty good info from a guy on a fly fishing forum last summer, I think he had a kinda French username and was in WY...;)
One hand washes the other. I'll hit you up for advice on Colorado streams one of these days.

frickerdog

Reaction score
Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.
I will say that here in NJ, the winter fly fishers seem to have a certain brotherhood/sisterhood. Men and women that I have run into on the water since the beginning of December are more conversational and seem much more willing to share information about where fish are, and what they are taking. I never ask, but have gotten into a few conversations which have been fruitful and I have been equally willing to share info. In large part, the free advice has been very good.

JoJer

Reaction score
I will say that here in NJ, the winter fly fishers seem to have a certain brotherhood/sisterhood. Men and women that I have run into on the water since the beginning of December are more conversational and seem much more willing to share information about where fish are, and what they are taking. I never ask, but have gotten into a few conversations which have been fruitful and I have been equally willing to share info. In large part, the free advice has been very good.
Watch out for Covid effect, F-dog: Lots of folks are starving (for someone else besides family) to talk to these days. I had one a few months ago in Sportsman's I almost had to literally run away from. Caught myself in another store nearly being that guy.

callihan_44

Reaction score
I shopped at both cabelas and bass pro, i however dont like the transformation that bp did to cabelas ...cabelas had items bp didnt sell but that is no more

Rob11

Reaction score
Sad and more of the same. Cabelas served the fishing and hunting customers with good quality products at reasonable prices. I bought their brand name waders, jackets, boots, fishing rods & reels, terminal tackle, and others things you couldn't get at our local stores. I was a very loyal customer until the sale to BPS. Now, they are very different. Looking for something the other day, I discovered my whole purchase history over many years has been purged; yet, I still have an active Cabelas Club Card. Customer service couldn't recover my order history, didn't have an answer for why it happened, and didn't care. To them, I was simply just another new customer with a complaint. This story tells it all:
foxnews.com/us/paul-singer-sidney-nebraska-cabelas-bass-pro-shops-merger

Walter1023

Reaction score
BP turned Cabelas into garbage. I say this as a former long term Cabelas Visa card holder who made many purchases over many years. Now I never even look at Cabelas.

Rob11

Reaction score
Who remembers? Who ordered? I did. They had some great stuff. (Also shopped at Montgomery Wards....big in sporting goods back in 50s.)

View attachment 30719
Bought most of our hunting and fishing gear from Herter's. Could spend a lot of time paging through the catalog. Bought most of our decoys from them in the early 60s and a few polychokes for our shotguns. Good quality stuff.

jayr

Reaction score
BP turned Cabelas into garbage. I say this as a former long term Cabelas Visa card holder who made many purchases over many years. Now I never even look at Cabelas.
Actually BPS just finished them off.

In the early 2000's, the Cabela's family divested themselves of ownership due to advancing age, etc. A capital investment group bought most of the shares of stock and took Cabela's public. They were on the NYSE if I am not mistaken. As most capital investment groups do, they immediately went about cutting costs. Capital investment groups are only interested in making it look lean and mean for the next few years so that once the stock or company price comes up, they dump it. If most will remember it was about that time that the "100% satisfaction guarantee" was changed. Cabela's no longer took back items no questions asked. It was also about this time they went on a mass building spree and also cut jobs at the original store in Sydney, NE.

Anywho, BPS just finished them off. But I will admit it is the general buying public who had a hand in this. Price rules as they say, no matter what the quality is, look at Walmart for further proof. There is a huge difference between "lowest price" and "best value". Unfortunately the general public has been swayed to believe price is everything.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Is this the 2nd or 3rd Sportsman financial bailout? First was Stuart Utgaard when he expand his Sportsman Warehouse chain as an anchor store and many of those failed, ended in bankruptcy ( 08 or 09). I forget who bought what but some of the northern stores went to a Canadian company if I remember correctly. Why do I think there was another soon after? IDK....

So now BP is taken over what remained intact. Well, I can only hope they don't turn it into another 95% clothing store like the rest. Sportsman here has more hardware than clothes and the only decent(still sucks) selection of fly fishing stuff outside of the shops.

Cab, BP, GM, etc is all clothing; greatest profit margin. Takes 3-4 years for some of those stores to become profitable due to the built in zoos. "Come on in and buy some Chinese clothing at outrageous profit margins." I can buy American for the same $ but I don't buy cheap-o gear either.

The newbie/ or weekend warrior walks into the box store because it's frequently least expensive.

The fly angler population is small compared to the bait-drowning-hardware-casting-soft-plastic-jigging angler so they dabble in fly stuff and focus on the rest. Used to be the same thing for archery equipment but that has change quit a bit. Fly fishing will too. Watch.

At the end of the day box stores suck. I am particular about my gear. I want exactly what I want. That means specialty stores or on-line. And frankly, nobody can afford Chicom products.

jayr

Reaction score
Is this the 2nd or 3rd Sportsman financial bailout? First was Stuart Utgaard when he expand his Sportsman Warehouse chain as an anchor store and many of those failed, ended in bankruptcy ( 08 or 09). I forget who bought what but some of the northern stores went to a Canadian company if I remember correctly. Why do I think there was another soon after? IDK....

So now BP is taken over what remained intact. Well, I can only hope they don't turn it into another 95% clothing store like the rest. Sportsman here has more hardware than clothes and the only decent(still sucks) selection of fly fishing stuff outside of the shops.

Cab, BP, GM, etc is all clothing; greatest profit margin. Takes 3-4 years for some of those stores to become profitable due to the built in zoos. "Come on in and buy some Chinese clothing at outrageous profit margins." I can buy American for the same $ but I don't buy cheap-o gear either.

The newbie/ or weekend warrior walks into the box store because it's frequently least expensive.

The fly angler population is small compared to the bait-drowning-hardware-casting-soft-plastic-jigging angler so they dabble in fly stuff and focus on the rest. Used to be the same thing for archery equipment but that has change quit a bit. Fly fishing will too. Watch.

At the end of the day box stores suck. I am particular about my gear. I want exactly what I want. That means specialty stores or on-line. And frankly, nobody can afford Chicom products.
Chapter 11 in 2009.

gbrooker

Reaction score
Bass Pro Shops ruined my local Cabelas. It used to be obvious that the higher-ups at Cabelas understood and appreciated fly fishing. Bass Pro is just redneck crap. Oh well. More motivation to shop at real fly shops.

peterk1234

Reaction score
Bass Pro Shops ruined my local Cabelas. It used to be obvious that the higher-ups at Cabelas understood and appreciated fly fishing. Bass Pro is just redneck crap. Oh well. More motivation to shop at real fly shops.
Same with the one near me. I went there today with the intention of picking up some stuff and to try on some wading boots. Honestly, I'm not even sure why they bother to be open. No boots to try. Could not even locate a pack of tippet rings. And clothing? That BP Readhead crap is just awful. At least Cabelas brand clothing had some good stuff. No more. Sad to say my shopping is limited to online these days. I have nothing around me.

I really wanted to try on the Simms Flyweight boots. It was the only place I could have tried them. Just going to have to wing it and order a pair.