Bass pro buys Sportsmans Warehouse!

trev

Reaction score
As soon as any business adds the second location it becomes a chain store and the things that made it unique are diluted, when such a "one man" business goes nationwide there is nothing recognizable left of the original store/business. I think in the world of sporting goods becoming a chain almost guarantees eventual failure. All those hired men in management positions are not qualified or they would own their own stores.
My local fly shop is selling up but the 'old guy' that built the business is there every day with the new buyer teaching him not only the stock but also giving him insights to each customer and their likes and dislikes. you don't get that with corporate stores. Every corporate employee is just that an employee and every corporate customer is just a mark.

Nonno

Reaction score
So, that explains why the FF section at Cabelas has deteriorated over the last 2 years. I did not shop at Cabelas until I moved back to Boise. I've noticed that SW has also started to slide in the fly fishing department. I do most of my seasonal needs at local shops, but I don't want to drop a C note every time I visit one.

Reaction score
Dang. While my preference is obviously the local shops, SW was a great option - awesome tying materials prices and decent enough selection - especially when I used to work basically across the street from one.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
This is bad news.... Sportsmans is one of the only places within 100 miles to get fly tying materials, fly lines, etc. for me. They carry some decent rods as well. BPS already ruined the Lexington, KY Cabela's that carried Sage, TFO, and others before the takeover and now carries zero fly-fishing gear. If it's a repeat situation with Sportsmans we will be going back to 2014 here in the Bluegrass region of having no options for gear without going to Louisville or Cincinnati. Heaven forbid we had to do something that desperate.

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
Big Business box stores are going to drive mom and pop shops out of buisness. when they do that, they will have no competition to influence there prices. Prices will sky rocket and drive us out of our hobbies. it is crucial for us to shop local and small and to support independent business. especially after these heavy lockdowns hurting a ton of small business.

KevinF

Reaction score
Years ago Bass Pro was going to come into Buffalo NY and save the waterfront area. They jerked the city around for what seemed like forever and then walked away. I don't know of anyone who is sorry about that. The closest I have to a "local" fly shop is an Orvis store about 30 minutes up the NYS thruway. I have to pass a Cabela's about half way there. Don't stop anymore. Went downhill after BPS came into the picture. Yeah, Orvis has the clothing section and the dog section but at least the guys in fishing section are fly guys and know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
Years ago Bass Pro was going to come into Buffalo NY and save the waterfront area. They jerked the city around for what seemed like forever and then walked away. I don't know of anyone who is sorry about that. The closest I have to a "local" fly shop is an Orvis store about 30 minutes up the NYS thruway. I have to pass a Cabela's about half way there. Don't stop anymore. Went downhill after BPS came into the picture. Yeah, Orvis has the clothing section and the dog section but at least the guys in fishing section are fly guys and know what they're talking about.
i will give orvis that, they advertise as a fly fishing and seem to do that quite well, everyone i have spoken to has been nothing but knowledgable and helpful to start me on my journey with fly fishing.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
The local Sportsman's Warehouse is the largest outdoors/fishing/hunting store in the town I live in. Usually just buy my fishing license there and sometimes browse around a bit, but rarely find anything I need or want to buy. Fly gear there consists of only several (low end starter) fly rods in stock, several budget Asian reels in 2 brands, a few SA & budget fly lines, and a fair supply of fly tying materials and miscellaneous items. Nothing special.

I never considered ordering anything from them. Their store here has always had a history of problems restocking items and they never know when or if they'll restock whatever it is they're out of. For years rumors abounded about their cashflow problems here and I'm surprised the store hasn't been shut down already. It'll be interesting to see what effect BPS will have on it, but I don't expect anything good.

No Cabelas or BPS in town, but there are three Cabelas stores within a 1.5 hour drive in different directions. Last time I went in one was about 5 or 6 years ago and I bought a pair of Cabelas brand blue jeans, which were decent.

Nearest true fly shops are approx 1.5 hr drive away. Last online order fly gear I made was from a small fly shop in Michigan --they were knowledgable, had what I needed, service was good and price was fair enough with free shipping. I plan to buy from them again.

Acheron

Reaction score
Big Business box stores are going to drive mom and pop shops out of buisness. when they do that, they will have no competition to influence there prices. Prices will sky rocket and drive us out of our hobbies. it is crucial for us to shop local and small and to support independent business. especially after these heavy lockdowns hurting a ton of small business.
Do you have any examples of this happening?

I don't believe this is true, and examples I've seen offer proof to the contrary.

I remember this being a huge deal about Walmart. People protesting Walmart trying to put a store into various places. Everyone said this would be Walmart's play, drive out competition then up prices and rake it in, yet mom and pop shops are still around and Walmart prices have never gone up.

But this is fishing, not Walmart, so....BPS, Cabela's, Sportsmans, JAX, Scheels, and many other large stores with fishing departments Dick's, Walmart, etc. all have multiple locations throughout the Colorado area and have for many years now. At the same time fly shops, tackle shops, bait shops, etc. all still exist. New ones have opened while some others have closed with the ebbs and flows of business. In the end, the mom and pop profits might take a dent because of new competition, but generally not any moreso (and maybe less) than they would if a new fly shop opened down the road.

Circling back to the beginning, let's consider for a minute the theory that these big box stores will do this is true. So when BPS (or Walmart) drive out all competition and get around to raising prices to hold us ransom for our goods...why won't people just open businesses selling stuff cheaper? Thus, bringing back the mom and pop stores!!

I just don't see or buy it.

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
Do you have any examples of this happening?

I don't believe this is true, and examples I've seen offer proof to the contrary.

I remember this being a huge deal about Walmart. People protesting Walmart trying to put a store into various places. Everyone said this would be Walmart's play, drive out competition then up prices and rake it in, yet mom and pop shops are still around and Walmart prices have never gone up.

But this is fishing, not Walmart, so....BPS, Cabela's, Sportsmans, JAX, Scheels, and many other large stores with fishing departments Dick's, Walmart, etc. all have multiple locations throughout the Colorado area and have for many years now. At the same time fly shops, tackle shops, bait shops, etc. all still exist. New ones have opened while some others have closed with the ebbs and flows of business. In the end, the mom and pop profits might take a dent because of new competition, but generally not any moreso (and maybe less) than they would if a new fly shop opened down the road.

Circling back to the beginning, let's consider for a minute the theory that these big box stores will do this is true. So when BPS (or Walmart) drive out all competition and get around to raising prices to hold us ransom for our goods...why won't people just open businesses selling stuff cheaper? Thus, bringing back the mom and pop stores!!

I just don't see or buy it.
I agree 50% with your opinion of this, only because the other 50% would be my opinion of time will tell. trust me none of us want this to happen. But then again im sure no one wanted a world wide lock down with a virus with a over 90% survival rate. but im not getting into politics.:censored:

burk48237

Reaction score
I think Category Killers (stores that deal in specific things like Micro Center, Pet-smart, Dicks) are a different animal than big box stores like Wal Mart, and Target. The Big Boxes like Wal Mart rarely put a good tackle shop, hardware store, etc out of business with low prices, they've been around for years and most small hardware stores and specialty shops remain. They actually seem to hurt each other (Wal Mart taking out K Mart) then small mom and pops. Amazon is a different story and worthy of its own thread for its effect.

As far as the fly business, I only had one fly shop in my territory that closed because of a category killer and their own ineptness, I suspect the ineptness had more to do with it. They were in Knoxville and constantly complaining about the Bass Pro that opened up nearby. And yet, they never bothered to carry ONE key brand that wasn't in that big box. At the time there were, and still are several fly companies that either avoided big boxes or had product that was not offered to Big Boxes like Scott, Patagonia, Choata, Diamondback, and Echo among others. Their owner refused to "take a chance" on any of them instead insisting on offering the same inventory as his much larger competitor.

My experience is the Categorie Killers ALL follow the same progression. 1) They start out with the best of intentions, hiring good people including buyers, and carry pretty good selection even allowing some autonomy for local markets. 2) As they grow, their quality of personnel waters down, they actually canabalize their own business by opening stores too close together lessening the wow factor of all that inventory, the aquarium, and what ever other unique tourist attention grabber, as the quality of their personnel decreases. 3) The accountants take over. Name brands decrease in assortment as they want to increase profit margins thru Private label. Cutting costs has a direct effect on the quality of employees and service, decreasing name brand sales further as many employees lack the product knowledge to sell. And it becomes a vicious circle.

COTater

Reaction score
Its too bad and our local Cabelas has become a BPS dollar store. I never bought any fly fishing gear at Cabelas. But I am a long time bowhunter. Cabelas had some great clothing that works real good in the west - not anymore. It now seems that all of the cheap BPS junk is there. I was a loyal customer, not any longer.

el jefe

Reaction score
The prices of most goods in the fly fishing industry are set by the manufacturer, and the retailer has no power to change them if they want to keep that manufacturer's account. A Sage fly rod or a Simms shirt or a Scientific Anglers fly line or a Galvan fly reel is the same price no matter where you buy it. The monopolistic pricing argument when a big box store drives out the moms-and-pops is fallacious.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
the local bass pro shop here in Rocklin ca.. is not to bad,, they have stuff... my local fly shop, Kienes , sacramentois a great store.... sportmans warehose.. rancho cordova ca... very, very little selection..... not that good...

alfaromeo

Reaction score
The prices of most goods in the fly fishing industry are set by the manufacturer, and the retailer has no power to change them if they want to keep that manufacturer's account. A Sage fly rod or a Simms shirt or a Scientific Anglers fly line or a Galvan fly reel is the same price no matter where you buy it. The monopolistic pricing argument when a big box store drives out the moms-and-pops is fallacious.
i sold cars for a long time.. if we did this.. we would be suied all the time.. and dont give me that crap ' cars/ trucks are differnet ' no it is a product.. just like everything you buy

burk48237

Reaction score
i sold cars for a long time.. if we did this.. we would be suied all the time.. and dont give me that crap ' cars/ trucks are differnet ' no it is a product.. just like everything you buy
What the fly manufacturers do is MAP, Minimum Advertised Pricing. Car/Truck dealerships are regulated by all kinds of Federal and state regulations so it is different. So far the courts have sided with the manufacturers on MAP. A dealer can sell you a Sage rod for any price he wants to, he just can't advertise it, in print, on line, etc. I suspect that as long as they can't prove collusion between manufacturers on pricing, they are legal. It's actually a mutually beneficial arrangement. The manufacturer maintains a protected dealer network and higher perceived value, and the dealer makes a good margin on a non volume purchased item. The only think keeping anyone in business in the relatively small Fly Tackle business, is pretty good by retail standards margins. FAR better than the conventional side.

el jefe

Reaction score
Cars and trucks are different, actually, for a lot of reasons, but Burk explained it pretty well. It's actually a great benefit if you leave something at home or break something at a destination; the item won't be marked up to confiscatory levels because of its location.