Beginner outfit question

Spexx

Reaction score
Hey all, my father in law just learned me to fly fish! Been out twice and had tons of fun. Ready to buy a beginner level outfit, and need some advice. Looking at the LL Bean Quest, Redington Path, and Orvis Encounter outfits. I live in California, and plan to fish bass, steelhead, and trout. FIL suggested I get a 7 weight rig as a reasonable compromise capable of all. Would love to hear your thoughts on these 3 outfits, or suggestions of another path. Trying to keep it in the $150-200 range, but could go a bit higher if there’s a big step up in quality. However, I *cannot* spend more than about $300 because I have to buy one for my wife as well. Thanks for your help!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
For your budget, and since you are buying your wife a set up too, I would look at the TFO Pro II or the TFO Signature II. I like the Pro II the best out of the TFO line up, and my son has the Signature II and loves it.

swfl daz

Reaction score
For your budget, and since you are buying your wife a set up too, I would look at the TFO Pro II or the TFO Signature II. I like the Pro II the best out of the TFO line up, and my son has the Signature II and loves it.

This is good advice. I started out my saltwater fly with a pair of Pro II's. Nice friendly rods. I still have and play with one from time to time.

Another quality, low cost option are the offerings from Moonshine. They include an extra tip section and a hard tube with all of their series rods and have one of the best warranties in the business. Their Drifter is a nice medium action rod that is forgiving but also fun (and only $199 with free shipping). I've got two of them - a 5wt for general trout and a new 7'6" 3wt for blueline exploring. I also have a pair of Midnight Specials and a pair of Outcasts - all are great rods for the $$, and the customer service can't be beat.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
Since you mention fishing Steelhead and Bass along with trout I agree with your FIL that a 7wt would fit that duty best. I also agree with others that the TFO Pro II is a great rod for the money, I purchased one for each of my 5 grandsons. I would add the cheapest Lamson reel they make and Rio Gold 7wt line. You should be able to get that done for around $300.00.

rusty 54

Reaction score
You will get many good opinions here. If you go the Orvis route, go up to the Clearwater line. The Encounter line doesn't have much of a warranty (insurance policy). I fish Clearwaters, various TFO models and a Redington. I like them all.

bigspencer

Reaction score
Redington VICE 8'6" 5wt(Trout) for either/both of you and a TCO Pro II OR another VICE in a 9' 7wt(Steelhead)....(*Personally I'd go with an 8wt...one Steelhead and she'll be HOOKED Bigtime!!!;-)). 8'6" rods possess a lot lighter swing-weight yet can throw almost as long a line as a 9' footer...distance isn't Everything! The 7wt is a little light but alter your casting stroke with one of the heavier lines and it'll handle light Steelhead stuff. Pretty nice performers for both of you.....

Last edited:

adso4

Reaction score
How often do you plan to fish for Steelhead? If your everyday fishing would likely concentrate on trout and bass, you may want to consider a 9' 6wt. As you are a beginner, a 6wt would be better than a 7wt to learn on. If you plan to do a lot of dry fly fishing for trout, a 6wt has more advantages for delicate presentation. Also, spend your money on getting a quality fly line and fly-casting instructions, which will help shorten your learning curve. A Redington Crosswater 6wt outfit with a separately-purchased quality fly line could be a good starting point.

Last edited:

losthwy

Reaction score
Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope"
How often do you plan to fish for Steelhead? If your everyday fishing would likely concentrate on trout and bass, you may want to consider a 9' 6wt. As you are a beginner, a 6wt would be better than a 7wt to learn on. If you plan to do a lot of dry fly fishing for trout, a 6wt has more advantages for delicate presentation. Also, spend your money on getting a quality fly line and fly-casting instructions, which will help shorten your learning curve. A Redington Crosswater 6wt outfit with a separately-purchased quality fly line could be a good starting point.
Agree with the above. Or even a 4 or 5 wt. I've been fly fishing for over 30 years and NEVER have felt under powered by a 4-5 wt with a stiff butt section. Redington and Echo Base both offer decent, affordable rods. And those "name brands"will be easier to sell if you want to upgrade in the down the road.