Beginner spey rod help: Redington vs ECHO

Jungle perch

Reaction score
Moving back to BC Canada for a year. Looking to get a 2 handed rod for Steelhead (maybe some sea run cuts and bull trout) thinking 13' 7wt ish. Looking at the redington dually, chromer, and the ECHO Swing and TR. Though I Usually go with the old adage buy once cry once, I am only going to use the rod for a year so probably don't want to go higher end then that (and as a beginner I likely don't need anything better than that). Any thoughts on what is a better value rod and what is a better beginner rod amongst those options?

Thanks for any help

duker

Reaction score
A 7 or 8 spey rod about 13' long is pretty standard for steelhead in northern BC--my three spey rods for northern BC are either 7 or 8 weights and between 12'9" and 13'3" long. As Dillon has pointed out, I think that's a bit big for cutties and bulls and agree that a 5 or 6 weight would be a better match.

I've never cast any of the Redington or Echo rods, but I've heard good things about all of them. Try searching speypages.com--they're the "go to" for all things two-handed. I can say that a friend of mine in Smithers has the 8136 Chromer and really likes it. I tried a few casts with it back in October (think he had a 600 grain Skagit on it) and it chucked that with authority.

Reactions: Ard

flav

Reaction score
I've cast a friend's Redington Dually, but only wiggled a Chromer. I've also fished a buddy's Echo SR (and landed a couple fish), but I've only picked up and flexed a Swing. I preferred the SR over the Dually, but they're close. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them, but if I was doing the buying I would chose the SR. A 13 foot 7 or 8 weight would be a great choice in B.C.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Jungle Perch,
I have the Dually in 13' 7wt and it works really well. I don't hesitate to recommend it. It is setup with a custom Skagit line from Steve Godshall and I am using it with an Hardy Made SA 150 reel. The line Steve made up for me had an integrated running line.

This was what I ordered:
- Custom Skagit for 7130 Dually 520gn @23-24ft with 30# Quantum Running line and a 10' Z12 tip.

I have also used several other tips with this setup and if interested in those let me know.
I also had Steve make a Scandi line for my 13'2" 7wt Buelah Platinum and he made a line made for my Hardy Swift rod too, he makes some great lines at very reasonable prices.

jjcm

Reaction score
Just an idea... Consider looking at the used market. If you will be in a place where you will fish it for only a year, you may be able to buy it used and then sell it later without losing too much money. New rods depreciate after they are purchased, cast, and fished, kind of like a new car after it leaves the lot. I've seen used Sages come up for the price of a new TR, sometimes maybe just slightly more. The used market seems kind of weird now, after covid started, but you might be able to find something.

flytie09

Reaction score
I own the two Redington models you’re looking at. All are fine rods. I’d lean towards the Redington Dually. The Chromer I’m not crazy about the grip. There’s a small section of foam for who knows whatever.

Redington has a fine warranty and yes I’ve tested it several times.

I’ve not used the particular Echo rods you mention. Only the Classic and Glass models and both are fine for what I used them for.

I honestly can’t name a bad rod manufacturer. Nor can I speak all the lingo about power, response and action. If it turns over my fly.... it’s a good rod.

For a beginner.... buy something in your budget, pair it with the right line and flies you’ll be using and have at it.

duker

Reaction score
I own the two Redington models you’re looking at. All are fine rods. I’d lean towards the Redington Dually. The Chromer I’m not crazy about the grip. There’s a small section of foam for who knows whatever.

Redington has a fine warranty and yes I’ve tested it several times.

I’ve not used the particular Echo rods you mention. Only the Classic and Glass models and both are fine for what I used them for.

I honestly can’t name a bad rod manufacturer. Nor can I speak all the lingo about power, response and action. If it turns over my fly.... it’s a good rod.

For a beginner.... buy something in your budget, pair it with the right line and flies you’ll be using and have at it.
Mike, my understanding is that those foam sections on the Chromer grips are to help pinch the line when you cast, or hold your loop during the swing. I know some guys in BC actually put electricians' or foam tape on the top of their grip to help them pinch the line better.

Which Echo glass model do you have? I picked up the 7 wt 12'9" when I was in Smithers back in October, more for shits and giggles than anything (plus which the shop gave me a great deal on it). I always wanted to try a fiberglass rod. Took a day or two to dial in the casting, but I do like fishing with it. Now I just have to hook a fish on it. It'll never replace my Burkie as my "go to" rod, but it'll be fun to play with.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

duker

Reaction score
Jungle perch, just FYI a guy has a 8136 Dually for sale in the "Classifieds" on speypages if you're interested. That's a good site to check for deals on two-handed gear.

huronfly

Reaction score
Both companies are have great value rods and warranties. I used an Echo DH2 13' 7wt on the Skeena in 2019 and it was right on the money. The TR is a great rod, I just picked up the 6wt version and have been using it extensively. I also have the 12'9" 7wt glass that duker is referring to and it's a ton of fun, just fought a GL steelie with it on Thursday.

I think any of those rods will work good for you, the TR and Chromer being a bit faster action and the dually and SWING being more moderate action(probably easier for a beginner).

jpielock1992

Reaction score
I've been buy a bunch of older glass rods 7-8" love them,especially the Cortland and Wright & McGill. What length and wt? The different lines are totally confusing.Where do I start! Cheers,Chet

duker

Reaction score
I've been buy a bunch of older glass rods 7-8" love them,especially the Cortland and Wright & McGill. What length and wt? The different lines are totally confusing.Where do I start! Cheers,Chet
Chet, are you buying two-handed fly rods or single-handed ones? I'm guessing if they're old fiberglass rods between 7 and 8 feet they are single-handed. You will have better luck with your questions in either the General Discussion or Fiberglass Fly Rods threads.