Beginners advice.....

jayr

Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of new fishermen on this and other sites, that's really good. In addition to the questions and advice about rods, reels, lines, flies, etc. I have one other piece of advice to offer.

The very FIRST thing you should do at the end of your fishing is to PUT UP YOUR FLY ROD!!! Do not pass go, do not collect $200. If putting up means breaking it down and putting it back in the tube, do it. Just make sure the rod is secured and safe where it will not get lost or broken. What often happens is people get back to the vehicle and place the rod on the roof or against a tree and then proceed to take off waders, boots, etc. It is very easy to get distracted by others or in conversation and forget the rod is either left behind or on the roof of the car where it falls off and gets run over.

I have taken several new fishermen out and even those with years of experience and they place the rod off to the side and proceed to remove gear. Do not fall for this temptation. This advice is offered as I have seen on this and other boards where either a rod has been lost or found. I can't help but think for every post I see of these there are tens of others who do not post about lost or found rods.

fishing hobo

Reaction score
Always disassembled the rod and reel and put them away in the rod bag/reel pouch and put in my trunk before I proceed to remove boots and waders.

upstreamcast

Reaction score
Excellent advice. Stow your rod and reel first before anything else. Then you can take off the waders and vest/pack. Too easy to lose track of your fly rod/reel. And usually they are the most expensive investment.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
No
The very first thing that I need to do when I get back to my vehicle is take off my vest and drop my waders
Unless you have your car keys in your hand, you don't have a choice.

It's what you need to do leading up to that that's most important and that's putting your rod on the wind shield of your car so that there's no way you can leave without forgetting it
You don't need to pack your rod away first.
You just need to make the right first step to insure that you don't forget to pack it away.

Last edited:

fishing hobo

Reaction score
No
The very first thing that I need to do when I get back to my vehicle is take off my vest and drop my waders
Unless you have your car keys in your hand, you don't have a choice.

It's what you need to do leading up to that that's most important and that's putting your rod on the wind shield of your car so that there's no way you can leave without forgetting it
You don't need to pack your rod away first.
You just need to make the right first step to insure that you don't forget to pack it away.
If your wader has a dry pocket like the orvis Silversonic Guide, you can put the car key fob in there with button facing you so you just press the unlock through the polypocket. It will keep the fob dry even if you go for a swim and you don't have to take your waders off to get in your trouser pocket.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
If your wader has a dry pocket like the orvis Silversonic Guide, you can put the car key fob in there with button facing you so you just press the unlock through the polypocket. It will keep the fob dry even if you go for a swim and you don't have to take your waders off to get in your trouser pocket.

Further to this, most cars now just need the key-fob to be in close proximity for one to unlock the doors. No more fumbling around for keys or the fob. Very practical.

I really like the advice to break-down & stow the rod / reel before taking off the vest, boots and waders. Great advice.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I have the distinction of putting the first 'Like' on Jay's post :D

I've been preaching this for going on 13 years here now on many a thread about people who want to stuff whole rods in SUV's but often break them..... Taking down my rods and putting them in aluminum tubes is why I still have my 1979 Far & Fine.

I travel a lot via jet boat. The boat has a rod rack that will carry 6 fly / spey rods vertically and other than low hanging trees they are safe in transport in the rack. When I get back to the launch area the dismantling of the rods is the first order of business. Rods in tubes, reels in pouches and flies back in their box then everything else can be attended to.

Fly fishing is a fastidious sort of hobby with many steps to complete at start of the day and at the end. There's no sense being in a hurry whether it's start time or quit time. If you feel you have to be focused on time management then it wasn't a good day to go fishing. My days often get started at 3 AM and end at 10 PM, that's time enough to take care of my gear properly.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Great OP. Took me a while to figure out that I needed to either take down my rod immediately or to at least put it somewhere I could not forget it (underneath the wipers is a go-to for me). In front of my tent door gear-tied to a zipper truck if I'm not car camping.

Another piece of advice: as soon as practical, turn your waders inside-out and let air-dry after a day of fishing. This will reduce odor and practically eliminate the possibility of fungus.

If I'm car camping, I usually hang my waders inside-out over the driver's side side mirror. If not, I usually pick a tree near my tent and hang from a branch high enough so that they don't touch the ground.

silver creek

Reaction score
jayr;1406810 The very [B said:
FIRST[/B] thing you should do at the end of your fishing is to PUT UP YOUR FLY ROD!!! If putting up means breaking it down and putting it back in the tube, do it. Just make sure the rod is secured and safe where it will not get lost or broken.
The first part of the commandment is that the last thing you do when get ready to fish is to assemble your rod.

Get all your equipment on before you assemble your rod and reel.

runningfish

Reaction score
Good Advice.

I am always driving my Honda Odyssey so I could just stick the rods in it and un-geared before breaking the rods or just drive home and clean up later.

fishing hobo

Reaction score
You guys think and drink too much … I did all that the last trip and still am short a rod , reel and case . Hm , maybe one of the mutts or momma sabotaged me ? lol
:D :D :D, you sure you're not the one who drank too much and forgot to breakdown your rod before you downed the booze?

Bigfly

Reaction score
In my time on the water I have lost 4 rods. Not quite one a decade.
At $400-800 or so a pop....
Good advise.
Now, I also do a rod count before and after.
My 6'9" protege lost a rod/reel/line, and a new Fishpond net all in the first year of serious fishing. You would think he could look down on his car and see stuff.
The net was still not paid off yet......
Mindlessness, will cost you...

Jim

YYCFly

Reaction score
A buddy of mine always told me to walk with the rod tip facing up and never straight ahead or down. I learned that the hard way when I was hiking out and my rod tip grinded/bended on the rocks.

JDR

Reaction score
Put a piece of tape with your name and phone number inside your rod tube. Also put a name and number on your fly box.

jdwy

Reaction score
I admit I don't put mine up first thing, but do break it down and set the sections way off to the side of the pickup bed since my dog doesn't jump in the bed. Plus I have a rubber bed mat. Otherwise I've got one of those handy-dandy magnetic rod holder-uppers from Feather-Craft so I can stick the rod upright against the side of the truck (DRIVER'S SIDE).
A buddy of mine always told me to walk with the rod tip facing up and never straight ahead or down. I learned that the hard way when I was hiking out and my rod tip grinded/bended on the rocks.
Oh yeah, I have a Sage XP I made from a Sage blank that was my pride and joy, turned out beautiful with all the best components at the time. On the 1/3 mile walk back from the lake my dog at the time had to run up to any approaching strangers and I know some adults are deathly afraid of dogs so I'd give her a tap on the butt with the rod tip and make her stay. Wasn't paying too much attention but when I got back to the truck 6" of rod tip was missing. Years back there was a thread here about who broke a rod in the stupidest way. I won that event. :)