Belize Trip April 2019

JFull

Reaction score
Hello All.

The wife and I have booked a trip to Belize in late April. I have been fly fishing for about two years, mostly in Minnesota, some in Montana and Iowa. When we were in Hawaii a few years ago, I paid for a fly fishing guide, but my guide basically just took me out into a reef that I could have accessed myself to fish. So that got me thinking, when I'm in Belize, I could save some money on the guide and just go out myself. So I have a few questions:

Are there good places to fish that are accessible by foot?
How would I go about making sure I'm registered to fish?
Is transporting flies on an airplane difficult?

Basically, I spent alot of money for a guide in Hawaii, when i'd rather spend that money on a new rod and some flies.

Thanks in advance for the help.

durangobrad

Reaction score
When asking questions as specific as can I fish on foot, you should also add some context as to where in Belize you will be if you want to get good information in return.

JFull

Reaction score
It's a bit of a blank slate right now. We fly into Belize City, and plan on ferrying over to some of the islands. Where the fly fishing is best could definitely dictate where we end up going. I'm really just hoping to settle somewhere I can wade around and fish, and trying to get a feel for if its a good idea for me to invest in an 8 weight rod to bring along, if i'll have the opportunity to use it without hiring a guide.

denver1911

Reaction score
There are places in Belize you can fish on foot. As for licensing and marine reserve fees, licensing is easy (online). Reserve fees are not that clear to me. I rely on the outfitter. Just my $0.02 .. spend the money on a guide! Stuff (a new rod) fades away faster than the memories you can establish with a quality fishing experience.

flafly14

Reaction score
Fish on foot in Ambergris. You can walk the ocean side flats. You could probably also rent a kayak to fish the other side. Whatever you do, don't go into Belize City. It's a dump.

jr spey

Reaction score
Fish on foot in Ambergris. You can walk the ocean side flats. You could probably also rent a kayak to fish the other side. Whatever you do, don't go into Belize City. It's a dump.
It's not too bad during the day, but definitely don't go anywhere at night in BC. Like most dumps, it's seriously dangerous at night. Ambergris Key is probably your best bet. There's a flyshop right in San Pedro and can probably assist you if you buy a few flies or leaders. I'd strongly recommend a guide for at least one day and that should be able to be arranged at the shop too. Not all the islands have accessible flats. Some have mostly muck instead of hard marl. If you stay down the coast aways (say Hopkins Bay), find someone to shuttle you to Permit Alley. Some of the best permit fishing I've ever had. It's best with a guide, but could probably be done with simply a shuttle over and a pickup time firmly established. Just pray your shuttle guy doesn't spend the day having Belikans.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I’ll be there towards the end of March. My first trip to Belize as well so can’t offer much advice (other than spend some time searching the forum, serval threads available on Belize and/or saltwater fishing in general).

With that said, if you haven’t completely ruled out a guide, Omar’s freelance does trips for $350/day, which is $100 or more cheaper than most guides. He has some good feedback from what I’ve seen, and is very responsive and helpful to any inquires. (Which is more than I can say for the people at Blue Bonefish).

I also booked a day with Tres Pescados and plan on doing a little DIY (staying on Ambergris), will review all 3 when I return.

denver1911

Reaction score
Lisa’s will rent kayaks and drop them off for you wherever you want. That will make the west side and lagoon more accessible. I’d still pay the guide and make it a much mu much better experience.

Meadowlark

Reaction score
One of the things that newbies on the flats might fail to appreciate is the adjustment it requires to sight fish. You must be able to see the fish quickly. I've been there many times, but it always takes me at least one day and usually two to adjust to being able to quickly spot the fish. A local guide can be an immense help in that regard...a huge difference maker, for sure.

Tight lines!

flyminded

Reaction score
Not just the ability to see fish quickly, learning to feed a Bonefish a challenge I consider more difficult that actually spotting fish. A guide will certainly help you with all of this and help get your confidence up.