Belly boat bassin’: Triumph, tragedy, and technology

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Ahead of the holiday weekend, I squeezed in one last trip to the lake before hordes of yahoos descend upon it and churn it to a froth with kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards. To my shock and horror, they already are showing up. Two groups of ladies on paddle boards, a couple in kayaks, and a family with some more yaks and boards. Maybe it was the activity, maybe it’s the changing seasons, maybe it’s Obama’s fault, but the bass were hitting really lightly at the first couple of spots I tried and I was starting to think I might catch a skunk. Blow ups on the bug, but no connection. Hookups on the bugger but they didn’t stick. I switched to a Clouser to see what might happen, but only minibass, 12” and smaller are it. The shame! Shoreline sand overhangs aren’t where it’s at. How about the weedy flat? I made tracks for the far end of the lake and started throwing at some emergent weeds and grass. Ahhhhhhh...yes. That’s where they are! In my excitement to photograph one of my bass friends, I dropped my phone, this very one I’m typing on now, right off the front of my tube. DAMMIT!!!! I quick slammed my flippers together and felt it tap them on the way to the bottom. Everrrrrrrr so gently, I lifted my feet, reached down with my arm, and was able to feel the waterproof case. Success!!!! I saved my device and all the swell photos inside! I busted off a couple of absolute monsters that would have been 5 lbs easy. One broke the leader and another snagged some weeds and pulled free. That anguished scream you heard on the wind this evening? Yeah. That was me. But enough words, here’s some photos (for some reason they’re posting sideways and upside down. For that I apologize):0158AF53-414B-4140-84CA-84D2723EC291.jpeg9A4054E6-09C5-4B0D-BC94-1F5663EB8514.jpegE868097D-EBCA-4DB5-90B1-3792B9B0EEAA.jpegF7355A05-EB63-4DFE-A9C0-79AFF76D1795.jpeg5168B616-EC79-4618-9BE2-7382DC798538.jpeg905F21E6-5D9C-4B8E-AD9D-39E3C6F239E6.jpegBEDCB575-637A-4578-9510-A3ECBDDA57AF.jpegEA95A179-2E5D-4978-A250-B49B828C999D.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

dennyk

Reaction score
Nice Joey! Is the fly rod you are using for all your most recent bass fishing is a 3 weight?

Great you got your phone back! I had a similar experience last week while out carp fishing. I snagged a bush just out from water's edge and was trying to coax my fly from the branches. I bent over too far and my Suncloud glass fell off my hat and into the drink. I put my fly rod down and after a few minutes was able to coax them out of the water and up the bank with my wading staff. WHEW! Then I managed to free my fly from t he tree branches. Spent the next couple minutes getting all the mud from my glasses, no harm done. Life is Good!

Denny

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I was actually pondering taking my 5 or 6 out next time to throw some mice and help wrench the bigger bass out of the increasingly heavy weed growth. I definitely lost out on some nice, quality bass last trip out and I’m curious to meet them up close and personal for a change.