Bennett Spring State Park, Missouri

herchammer

Reaction score
I had an uncle that rarely missed opening day, and I never understood why he wanted to be a part of that. Even in Missouri, there's enough trout water to get your fix without crowds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had an uncle that rarely missed opening day, and I never understood why he wanted to be a part of that. Even in Missouri, there's enough trout water to get your fix without crowds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Some people really enjoy the tailgating atmosphere of opening day. Me...not so much.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting. I never thought of it as tailgating, but I think you are right, Mike. Tailgating for fishermen.

steve
Definitely more of a party than a fishing trip. Going to the Current on Black Friday Steve. Gonna eat at PJ's and hit the water for a few hours. Feel free to show up at breakfast and fish with us.

spm

Reaction score
Definitely more of a party than a fishing trip. Going to the Current on Black Friday Steve. Gonna eat at PJ's and hit the water for a few hours. Feel free to show up at breakfast and fish with us.
Love to, but will have a house full of people that weekend. In-laws arrive on Wednesday and won't leave until Monday, no matter what I do. I would think you would have the place to yourself that day. Have a great day, and catch one for me.

Thanks, Mike.
steve

markfrid

Reaction score
Well, I'm a week late with this report, but my wife and I took Friday (Nov 13) off and went to Bennett for the first weekend of C&R. The water was crystal clear and low and the fish were in the mood to look UP. Dries and cracklebacks were the order of the day(s). Each day after lunch there was a light hatch of midges and tiny cream mayflies, which just put the fish in an even more looking-up mood. Hardly had on a bobber the whole time. The best dry-fly luck came on #18 and 20 parachute Adams (thanks again, Mr. Comeonavs!) And hot cracklebacks were the #14 pearl-grizzly, #14 blue holographic-ginger, and my dependable little Bob's fly in an 18 when the hatches started. Lots of fat fish. My wife, who loves her spinning outfit (even though she is getting pretty good with the fly rod), stuck almost exclusively with the Beadspread mini-jig (light yellow chenille, light yellow head). She stayed hooked up as much as anybody on the stream, including a 20-incher on Sunday morning!

Since then, there has been a pretty good rain and the stream came up this past week. Anyway, we had a great time. Thanks for the post, Mr. spm!

The Current on Black Friday sounds, awesome, Mr. Mridenour. I'm jealous, for sure. Hope you guys have a big day.

Mark

spm

Reaction score
Well, I'm a week late with this report, but my wife and I took Friday (Nov 13) off and went to Bennett for the first weekend of C&R. The water was crystal clear and low and the fish were in the mood to look UP. Dries and cracklebacks were the order of the day(s). Each day after lunch there was a light hatch of midges and tiny cream mayflies, which just put the fish in an even more looking-up mood. Hardly had on a bobber the whole time. The best dry-fly luck came on #18 and 20 parachute Adams (thanks again, Mr. Comeonavs!) And hot cracklebacks were the #14 pearl-grizzly, #14 blue holographic-ginger, and my dependable little Bob's fly in an 18 when the hatches started. Lots of fat fish. My wife, who loves her spinning outfit (even though she is getting pretty good with the fly rod), stuck almost exclusively with the Beadspread mini-jig (light yellow chenille, light yellow head). She stayed hooked up as much as anybody on the stream, including a 20-incher on Sunday morning!

Since then, there has been a pretty good rain and the stream came up this past week. Anyway, we had a great time. Thanks for the post, Mr. spm!

The Current on Black Friday sounds, awesome, Mr. Mridenour. I'm jealous, for sure. Hope you guys have a big day.

Mark
Sounds like a great weekend. Bennett really is a nice park. Were there many people there? Where did you stay.

Good post. Thanks, Mark.
steve

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Mark
You are more than welcome to join us. Sooner or later you have to fish with me...lol.

huntschool

Reaction score
Good fishing markfrid. We fished the Eleven Point last Friday. Ran into a fellow from Carmi and it was apparently not you. I am amazed there are two cold water trout guys in Carmi that travel to MO to fish...... LOL

markfrid

Reaction score
Good fishing markfrid. We fished the Eleven Point last Friday. Ran into a fellow from Carmi and it was apparently not you. I am amazed there are two cold water trout guys in Carmi that travel to MO to fish...... LOL
How about that?! I know of one guy who lives south of Norris City near 141 that fishes down that direction, but not in Carmi. Surely I'll run into him sometime - this isn't exactly a large metro area! Ha-ha!

Mark

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Sounds like a great weekend. Bennett really is a nice park. Were there many people there? Where did you stay.
Steve - We stayed at the cabins at Larry's Cedar Resort, just up the hill from the river. Still walking distance, very clean and quite a bit cheaper than the State Park cabins. Smaller, though. The crowd was pretty modest for the weather we had on Fri and Sat - warm and sunny. Sat was kind of busy, but Fri was not bad. Sunday was great - very few people. I need to start carrying my camera - that water was so clear. In the sunlight it looked like the fish were just hanging in the air! Light tippet conditions, for sure.

Mark

markfrid

Reaction score
Just got back from a short jaunt (Thurs & Fri, Aug 11-12) to Bennett. The weather was hot and it was midweek, so neither the stream nor the campground were crowded. As a matter of fact, I've seen the stream with more people than this on a nice C&R Season Saturday during the winter. The water was not muddy, but it was a deep blue and a little cloudy. Usually, when the water is like this, the fishing is fast action. But not this time. They were very particular, especially about color.

Nymphing, I got nothing at all on any kind of bug imitation. I tried scuds, midges, caddis - all zero. Didn't see anybody else catching on a regular basis either. But when I tied on any kind of white attractor pattern, the action picked up. Not fast, but steady enough to keep focused. White floss, white chenille grub, white "fur ball," tiny white marabou. I'm guessing the "hatch" was fish guts and I was imitating small pieces. In the evening there was some decent action stripping cracklebacks - holo blue with a ginger furnace hackle was my best producer.

Overall, the size of the fish was above average. My last fish on Thurs night, right before the siren, was a fat 14" brown on the blue crackleback. Perfect way to end the day.

As I mentioned above, I noticed a lot of people were not catching squat. I think there are 2 factors in addition to the color that were very important to catching fish. First, you needed to be just off the bottom. Suspending halfway in the water column didn't work at all. Second, there are a lot of small bits of algae floating in the water and growing on the bottom. You have to check your hook regularly and clean it off. As my mentor used to say, "There's nothing at all God gives a fish to eat that has moss growing on it." True.

Well, that's it from here. Good luck and have fun!

Mark

herchammer

Reaction score
I strapped the fly rod, waders, boots etc.....to the motorcycle, and made the four hour trip to Bennett Springs, yesterday (Monday). The park was very busy, probably someone fishing about every thirty yards or so, not ideal, but, hey I rode four hours so I'm fishing. The water was cloudy, but, not to the point you couldn't see the bottom. The success around me was sporadic at best; I fished for about 40 minutes with no success, trying dry dropper combos and stripping an olive bugger. I was wading, standing about midway across the stream, and decided to turn my attention to the bank behind me (where you would normally fish from shore). I tied on a tan ehc #16 and dropped a cream colored bead head nymph about a foot or better off of that. First cast hooked up with a nice 10-11" bow, which I released the next three casts each yielded about the same size of fish, all of them taking the cream colored midge. About ten yards upstream was a bit larger fish, sipping bugs off the top; I began offering the combo on my tippet and found the old girl up to the game. I fished for a total of three hours, and all told brought nine fish to hand with three more released at a distance. Despite the 430 mile round trip, and my wife's irritation with how I spent my day off, it was a great day at Bennett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spm

Reaction score
I strapped the fly rod, waders, boots etc.....to the motorcycle, and made the four hour trip to Bennett Springs, yesterday (Monday). The park was very busy, probably someone fishing about every thirty yards or so, not ideal, but, hey I rode four hours so I'm fishing. The water was cloudy, but, not to the point you couldn't see the bottom. The success around me was sporadic at best; I fished for about 40 minutes with no success, trying dry dropper combos and stripping an olive bugger. I was wading, standing about midway across the stream, and decided to turn my attention to the bank behind me (where you would normally fish from shore). I tied on a tan ehc #16 and dropped a cream colored bead head nymph about a foot or better off of that. First cast hooked up with a nice 10-11" bow, which I released the next three casts each yielded about the same size of fish, all of them taking the cream colored midge. About ten yards upstream was a bit larger fish, sipping bugs off the top; I began offering the combo on my tippet and found the old girl up to the game. I fished for a total of three hours, and all told brought nine fish to hand with three more released at a distance. Despite the 430 mile round trip, and my wife's irritation with how I spent my day off, it was a great day at Bennett.

Good report. It's easy to forget about the water behind you, and many do. Well done.

steve

herchammer

Reaction score
Good report. It's easy to forget about the water behind you, and many do. Well done.

steve

Strange isn't it? Everyone was fishing the far bank, and I thought "when I was fishing from the bank, there were always fish holding in these spots". Sure enough! Although, I did feel like the guy standing in the elevator facing the wall. Lol

Thanks for the kind words Steve.

markfrid

Reaction score
I completely agree with fishing the near bank. I've been schooled by some guys who fish over spooky fish to, "stay out of the water, if you can." The ripples and disturbance of wading send spooky fish heading for cover. Even though these are by no means spooky fish, I think staying out of the water just gives you one more advantage. In my younger, dumber days I learned that people don't appreciate you hauling in fish right behind them, though. So I try to keep my distance from their backside, even though they're fishing for those fish on The Far Bank. Like theives, there is Honor among trout-parkers! Ha-ha!

Mark

markfrid

Reaction score
Now that we are semi-retired, my wife and I took the camper to Bennett this last Thursday trying to beat the weekend crowd. Had a really nice Thurs and Fri, though Sat got pretty packed. We left Sat about lunchtime. Weather was gorgeous and the water was up after a 2" rain on Wed. Thankfully, it didn't get muddy. Crystal clear, just up a little bit.

With clear water and a small hatch of tiny mayflies, there were a lot of fish looking up. I caught a slew of fish Thurs on small cracklebacks and had much fun. On Fri I changed it up to my Old Pal, the Orvis Madison 6 1/2 footer. Since I've never had much luck matching those tiny mayflies, I tied on a #18 parachute ant and fished the risers with that. I had a ball. They weren't sucking it in like I had a perfect match, but there was plenty of action! Dry flies on the old Boo - can't beat it. Switched up to a small hopper dropper, dropping a #20 micro may on 7x. Lots of action on that, too. A good time was had by all!

It's such a good time to be out. The trees are just starting to turn, the air is cool and the water's perfect. Hope you get a chance to enjoy it - somewhere. Preferably, someplace with clear water and trout. Happy Trails!

Mark

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip.

It's been a awhile since I've been down there. I have had to use vacation time on other trips.

Just out of curiosity, any of you drop by Charlie Reading's place? Quite a character, but a true master. He's got one of the neatest shops I've ever seen and I hear he's building a new casting pond suitable for spey casting.