Bennett Spring State Park

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is a difference between allowing and helping new people who find their way to the sport and actively recruiting with the idea that the "sport" will die unless it grows.
Its not going to die and everyone has a right to do it without these disgusting assumptions. Camping, golf, boating, bird watching all have their problem folks, and it isn’t always the tramplers and liter bugs who make it less enjoyable for others.

trev

Reaction score
Every foot print is a trample. Mine as well as theirs. As users we can't be true conservationists and the more of us users the less conservation is possible. More users doesn't really have any effect on my use or enjoyment, and I hope I don't infringe on theirs, but more use always comes with increased harm to the things we don't necessarily see or think about.
That impact is not so noticeable nor as important in artificial fisheries like tail waters or these spring parks, but picture for a moment the same congreation on your favorite wilderness stream. The popultion is large enough to make that posible, maybe?

KenBrown

Reaction score
I would not call them idiots. Everyone has their own definition of fun and fishing and available resources.

I think it is strange that people who live to fly fish for trout don’t live where trout thrive naturally. Jobs and family are big factors. People also like to rub elbows with like minded folks and it looks like you really get that opportunity with this type of location.

Assuming people cannot learn correctly overtime as they develop and saying we should close the door on new anglers is closed minded and does no good. Let folks go through their progression and decide for themselves whether they like it and want to make it a lifelong pursuit.

I cannot imagine if my new daughter-in-law who comes from an upbringing that is different than those who have spent time in the outdoors asked if she could learn how to fly fish and I said no we already have enough people doing it and you will just trash the waters. Yuk.
Ok, maybe idiots was a bit harsh. I dont see the fun in fishing a stream packed with people nowadays. I like a peaceful stream where I can work the water on my own terms without having to worry about other people.

I used to love going up to Pulaski and fish the Salmon River when I was younger as well. That river was always packed in certain spots and if you were adventurous you could walk to a different part where no one was and still catch fish. Granted I wasnt fly fishing then but I did get to catch salmon in an area less crowded which was more enjoyable.

On our trips up to NY, we would venture over to Oswego as well. That was more of a 'poo show' with all the people lined up on the catwalk below the dam. I never caught any fish in that area and we would usually just step back and watch the craziness. Eventually we learned that if you fished on the downstream side of the last bridge in town, you could use plugs. On subsequent trips we fished there and caught every time...with only a handful of people around.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, maybe idiots was a bit harsh. I dont see the fun in fishing a stream packed with people nowadays. I like a peaceful stream where I can work the water on my own terms without having to worry about other people.

I used to love going up to Pulaski and fish the Salmon River when I was younger as well. That river was always packed in certain spots and if you were adventurous you could walk to a different part where no one was and still catch fish. Granted I wasnt fly fishing then but I did get to catch salmon in an area less crowded which was more enjoyable.

On our trips up to NY, we would venture over to Oswego as well. That was more of a 'poo show' with all the people lined up on the catwalk below the dam. I never caught any fish in that area and we would usually just step back and watch the craziness. Eventually we learned that if you fished on the downstream side of the last bridge in town, you could use plugs. On subsequent trips we fished there and caught every time...with only a handful of people around.
Ken I feel you. I hope this type of place below finds you dancing in their waters and hooking up with beautiful trout soon. There are still an uncountable amount of these locations as this blue line was one I found on a map and took out on a journey that did not disappoint. I try evry year to goto a new water or two and to see what lies around the next bend. Cheers Sir.
AA13FD93-5816-41E0-A8F3-0AEDA301B8E8.jpeg

Acheron

Reaction score
But, looking at crowds like these and projecting the trampling damage to the environment where ever so many walk, it becomes obvious that we do not need to "grow the sport".
You're right, what needs to grow is the number of educated and ethical anglers. Maybe at these opening days someone should be handing out pamphlets and talking to the fisherpeople as they come and go, not just telling them what to do, but asking how they are, how their day is going, while casually dropping a tip or two on ethical fishing. Some people will get it, most won't, what matters are the "some people" who listen and get it.

That's my thought

I would not call them idiots. Everyone has their own definition of fun and fishing and available resources.
100% agree.

Speaking of opening days, maybe I'll go to one of my old favorite lake opening days this year. :)

spm

Reaction score
...Truth is, opening day is as much a social event as it is a fishing event.
Exactly.

For many, this is a family tradition that spans many years and several generations. It's not about catching fish, although fish are caught. It's about family fun and tradition. And that is something that is worth preserving.

steve