Best Bass Flies

JoJer

Reaction score
I can't spin deer hair to save my life. And if I could, it's doubtful I'd want to toss one of those beautiful creations into the places where bass hang out. I tied a bunch of these just to try out and had some fun with the stacked craft foam.
I submitted these in a fly swap and took a lot of heat because the artists felt they'd not gotten a fair exchange. Oh well; I sent these cause it's a fast and easy tie and thus, it can be the fly you don't mind chucking into the jungles where bass lay up. If you go to the the fly swap thread here, I think there is an SBS for these. There is a lot of adjustment that can easily be done to this this for diver, chuger, slider popper and a mono weed guard is easy, too.

Reactions: LOC

philly

Reaction score
I've been working on some bass bugs the last month or so. Tying up enough to fit into fly boxes I've been putting together out of clear plastic photo holders and 6 mm white craft foam. The boxes are 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" which will fit either into my chest pack or the larger pockets in my fishing vest. The second and third patterns fit into one box, a bit tight.

Meade's Gutless Frog. A new pattern for me this year. I saw it down in the Fly Tying section about a month ago. It's supposed to be weedless. It looks like it can be fished off a sinking line so I did a couple up in crayfish colors. I'll find out in a couple of months when the weather warms up.

P2140982.JPG

Tony's Froggie. I learned this pattern from Tony Spezio, a local tyer, until he retired and moved to Arkansas to live on the White River. He designed it as a panfish fly and I usually tie it on size 6 2xl for bluegills, rock bass and other sunfish.

P2140987.JPG

Hook: Ahrex Trout Predator Long 2/0

The fly really doesn't have a name. The initial template for the panfish version was the soft foam spider bodies you can buy on line and in fly shops. Usually, tied on a size 6 2 xl hook.

P2140984.JPG.8984eb5dc241c4722a8c1aff27e62667.JPG

For lack of a better name I calls this one the Heart Popper. Based on a foam pattern shown to me by Harrison Steeves, instead of the head being glued to the sides of the body, I left them open. I added legs on the ones in the bottom two rows since I took the picture. Has a bit of a Jitterbug action when retrieved with a steady strip.
P2140991.JPG.c3119705401d26abbbcc7b5560d2cc85.JPG
Some general information. They're all made out of craft foam. 6 mm for the first three patterns. The first two are strips of the 6 mm foam. The third is an arrowhead shaped piece of 6 mm foam. Tied on 2/0 Ahrex Trout Predator Long hooks. The last batch are tied with a heart shaped piece of 2 mm craft foam. Tied on a size 4 Gamakatsu B10S. Colors are permanent markers. Legs are spinner bait skirt layers, otherwise known as Sili Legs or Crazy Legs.

Attachments

LOC

Reaction score
I can't spin deer hair to save my life. And if I could, it's doubtful I'd want to toss one of those beautiful creations into the places where bass hang out. I tied a bunch of these just to try out and had some fun with the stacked craft foam.
I submitted these in a fly swap and took a lot of heat because the artists felt they'd not gotten a fair exchange. Oh well; I sent these cause it's a fast and easy tie and thus, it can be the fly you don't mind chucking into the jungles where bass lay up. If you go to the the fly swap thread here, I think there is an SBS for these. There is a lot of adjustment that can easily be done to this this for diver, chuger, slider popper and a mono weed guard is easy, too.
I would have been stoked with that and fished it hard. Totally unique!

DD91C829-2939-42B8-9975-7F20836E1B06.jpeg
My go to... I combined a Wiggler with a Morrish Mouse.