Best dry fly rod

brownbass

Reaction score
Keep your eye out for a G Loomis NRX LP for sale. It would be exactly what you are looking for at around your price point or slightly more.

Bill

NCAndy

Reaction score
I think for the money it is hard to beat the Fenwick Aetos rods. I've swapped with friends while on the river to try their Aetos rod and I think they are a great value. I've only tied their 905, but recently picked up a 908 on closeout as a boat rod. The 908 isn't the best streamer rod, I'd prefer a stiffer tip and more drive through the mid of the rod, but it casts a floating line very well. The 905 does everything well, not top tier obviously in any measure, but very serviceable. I would expect the 4wt rods would be as well.

hollisd

Reaction score
The previous gen Fenwick Aetos with the blue blank is an excellent dry fly rod. Pair it with an Orvis Battenkill III click pawl for aesthetics and swing weight. I fished this setup many times with dries and couldn't believe how well it fishes. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger if you can find one on closeout.

LePetomane

Reaction score
Speaking of Winston. I loved the old IM6 8 1/2' 5wt for dries. Then after that, the WT was almost as good.
My wife has that rod and I couldn't agree more. Another nice Winston is the pre-IM6. I have an 8 foot one that is rated for a 5 weight line. It actually handles a Cortland 444 in a DT4 better. I've had the rod since the 80's and use it regularly. These rods received a lot of negative criticism in the 90's, stereotyped as being painfully slow by the fast action crowd.

old timer

Reaction score
My wife has that rod and I couldn't agree more. Another nice Winston is the pre-IM6. I have an 8 foot one that is rated for a 5 weight line. It actually handles a Cortland 444 in a DT4 better. I've had the rod since the 80's and use it regularly. These rods received a lot of negative criticism in the 90's, stereotyped as being painfully slow by the fast action crowd.
They sell for a good price now too. If you can find one. Ebay has one now and then.

upstreamcast

Reaction score
A very good option for a Dry Fly rod at a mid-price level is the Orvis Recon. I would highly recommend the 8'4" 3wt for any dry fly enthusiast from neophyte to aficionado. If you want a rod with a little more utility as well as Dry Flies I would suggest the 9' or 8'6" 4wt Recon. Either will serve serve you well....depending on the breadth of your fly fishing. Medium action, well balanced (especially with the proper reel weight), I think Orvis has hit a real sweet spot in the Fly Rod arena. JMHO.