Best Fly Tying Scissors Under $50?

FlyBum

Reaction score
I have a pair of Dr. Slicks and they do the job, but there are times that even though the blades come to a nice small point I feel like they are to thick and don't allow me to get as close as I'd prefer and I have a pair of surgical scissors that I use for general stuff.

I've been considering getting some Anvils as I've read they are great and some of the blades look pretty thin and I can get them on Ebay less then elsewhere. The only thing is since I have sort of small hands I wonder how the open loops will work for me as I try keep my scissors in my hand all the time, but I end up feeling the need to put them down more than I prefer.

Its kind of funny as I am not reall anal about trying to make my flies into works of art, but I do like them to turn out as properly proportioned and nice as my newbie skill level allows me.

Last edited:

Jimmie

Reaction score
At first I had a few different scissors (most popular brands). After awhile I was always picking up the Anvil's. That's all I use now. With small hands you may want to consider the Anvil Midge model. Those are my style of choice. I keep them in my hand. They are small and light.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I have 2 pair of Anvil "Ice" stainless scissors-small straight and large curved. I like the open loops because you can adjust them to fit your fingers. I believe you can also send the Anvil's in for sharpening.:thumbsupu

stimmy7

Reaction score
I've tried for years to get used to the concept of 'wearing my scissors' and just can't do it, I find it way too uncomfortable and unless I'm trying to do production tying speed, I don't find it beneficial. I have a styrofoam block on my table that I stick my scissors into blade first, and when I need them, simply slip my fingers into the loops and use them.

I think the surgical scissors you mentioned are called "iris scissors" and yeah, they're great but I wouldn't speak too loudly about the source and price (you might wanna edit that post!) they're anything but cheap!

I like Anvils and I have a pair of Gingher Embroidery Scissors that I got at the Fabric/Craft store- reg price is $35, but they always have 50% off coupons and you can get them sharpened. They also sell a pair of what they call "thread snips" which have tiny spring loaded surgical steel blades, which are real thin and excellent for the fine clean up snipping it sounds like you're referring to.

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
I at the other end from the Anvil Lovers on here. I tried a pair and hated them. I have hands big enough to give Sasquatch a run for his money and the they didn't work well for me. I also think the tip is a little thicker than the Dr. Slick's I use. They go to a fine point but there a little thicker. I love the Dr. Slick 4" tungsten carbide scissors they stay sharp at least twice as long for me than any other pair I have tried. I dont ever put my scissors down when I'm tying and cut wire lead and tinsel with them. Also like the Dr slick Razor scissors but the tungsten one's do go to a little bit finer point. I dont think there is one pair that will work good for everyone. I say go to a fly shop and pull a couple out of the package. See how they fit your hand and look at the tip. It would suck to buy a pair of the computer you have never played with just to find out you dont like them.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I've never seen the "sixth finger" before, looks like a great design for those of us who "wear" our scissors while tying.

I bought a pair of FW Engels about a year ago and love them. They were more than I wanted to spend but the difference between them and my old Dr. Slicks is incredible. They are really sharp. And under $50.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I use a pair of fine point Dr. Slicks and they work out great for me, sometimes alittle too well and i'll cut part of the knot on accident

FrankB2

Reaction score
I'm with Dr. Sclick scissors 100%. They make a "Micro Tip" model, and the tip is....MICRO. :D They make them in general purpose and Arrow models.

All-Purpose Micro on left, Arrow Micro on right:

kelkay

Reaction score
I have Dr. Slick scissors, different kinds, and love them. I also have Anvil tapered scissors. I use cheap scissors to cut lead, tinsel, buck tail...and the good ones for everything else.

FlyBum

Reaction score
I use cheap scissors to cut lead, tinsel, buck tail...and the good ones for everything else.
Me too.

Well I got a chance to try Anvil Midge and Anvil Ultimates at a friends tying bench last night and liked them both so I bought a pair of each both with straight blades, but I think it won't be long till I buy a pair with curved blades. I think I'd really like the 6th Finger Scissors, but untill I have a oportunity to try them I will wait. If it turns out I like them as much as I suspect I will I'll buy some in Tungsten.

notenuftoys

Reaction score
I'll add another vote for the Sixth Finger. It took a little bit to get used to, but wow, I love them now! The only time I use my Dr. Slicks is for heavy material.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Aren't you worried about poking your eye out?:eek:

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

. . . I've been considering getting some Anvils as I've read they are great and some of the blades look pretty thin and I can get them on Ebay less then elsewhere. The only thing is since I have sort of small hands I wonder how the open loops will work for me as I try keep my scissors in my hand all the time, but I end up feeling the need to put them down more than I prefer. . .
I have a pair of Anvil's - can't tell what model/line from looking at them, but I spent a lot of time finding them (including sending back inferior competing scissors). Since I tie pretty much exclusively 22-28 flies, I'm guessing they were the "Midge" model, probably in the Ice line. They have been terrific. They have open finger holes which are easy to adjust in size to fit you.

FlyBum

Reaction score
Aren't you worried about poking your eye out?
No I'm not worried about that though I tie under a magnifier that's on one of those adjustable arms and when I first started keeping my Dr. Slicks in my hand most of the time I scratched my magnifier a few times. However, I haven't hit it for quite some time now.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Tom,

I have a pair of Dr. Slick curved blade scissors that have been service since they first came onto the market. I can't say anything bad about them and they have tied all sort and size of flies. For the price / quality ratio I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Ard