Best knots for 6x??

dr d

Reaction score
double davy and double surgeon(wet,slowly and correcting with fingernail from each side)

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
double davy and double surgeon(wet,slowly and correcting with fingernail from each side)
I do find that surgeons knots benefit from some "coercing" into position for maximum strength.

I'll agree that it can only go one tippet size up or down before marked decrease in strength. I'm typically indicator nymphing with 4x leader and 5&6x tippet. 5x to first fly and 6x to subsequent flies.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

el jefe

Reaction score
I thought one of the advantages of the surgeon's knot over the blood knot was that it could join together widely varying tippet sizes, whereas the blood knot was more for joining similarly sized tippets. Interesting...

osseous

Reaction score
I thought one of the advantages of the surgeon's knot over the blood knot was that it could join together widely varying tippet sizes, whereas the blood knot was more for joining similarly sized tippets. Interesting...
You can join dissimilar sizes with either- just double the lighter material first- then tie as normal.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Acheron

Reaction score
It is. A quick search confirms it. Here are a couple of links

fishing hobo

Reaction score
I must try the Orvis knot. My go to for the tippet to fly is a 5turn Uni knot, only time it failed me is when I tied it in a rush targeting a rising fish.... I knew it didn't seat very well. As S&S mentioned, I push the coils on the clinch knot down as I pull on the tag end. You know it is correctly seated when the tag end comes off at 90 degrees to the eye of the hook.

osseous

Reaction score
Try the Pitzen as well- great knot

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Lamarsh

Reaction score
improved clinch knots
While there are arguably better knots than the improved or regular clinch, I use a regular clinch just because I always have and can basically tie it with my eyes closed. When I get down to 6x I add a turn or two. At 6x I am making 7 turns, so perhaps give that a try if you are using less turns (lighter material typically requires more turns, and vice versa). Also, experiment with the regular clinch instead of improved. Many have reported it to actually be stronger. Not sure if that's really the case, but I do use it and it has always been fine for me.

bigspencer

Reaction score
IME it very well could be mechanical with a stout rod and 6x.
What specific 4wt? What is it's weight...(ie does it get a little heavy for you? at times) What is its action/taper like....and are you tapering your leader adequately? section length...and tippet.
Also what specific line are you using and is it with a long line out...?
...OR maybe I've had too much coffee today...:oops:.

Last edited:

jr spey

Reaction score
The "improved" clinch knot was created to deal with the early nylon mono, which was very slippery and allowed too many regular clinch knots to fail. For some reason, even though it is slippery, fluorocarbon ties a stronger knot with a non-improved clinch, or even a Trilene knot. At least that's been my experience.

johan851

Reaction score
The "improved" clinch knot was created to deal with the early nylon mono, which was very slippery and allowed too many regular clinch knots to fail. For some reason, even though it is slippery, fluorocarbon ties a stronger knot with a non-improved clinch, or even a Trilene knot. At least that's been my experience.
I've never heard this. Interesting. It may explain a few odd experiences with fluoro...

BrookieRR

Reaction score
Clinch for nymphs and drys. triple surgeons knot for tippet to tippet. Stopped using the improved clinch knot after a couple failures. I found this video very helpful.

J

joe_strummer

Sounds like maybe go back to 5x until you get some touch on your hooksets. I use 6x, 6.5x and 7x, regularly, with ordinary clinch knots, and have no such troubles.

J

joe_strummer

Which is to say, the problem is not the choice of knots.

J

joe_strummer

The lives of all extruded nylons and fluorocarbons matter, but it's mainly a topic for the lightly experienced to overthink.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
The clinch was the first knot I learned to tie for fishing, it is the knot I tie most from habit, slowly and carefully, works well for me so I don't really see a need to change what works. I don't like the improved version and I don't use it. I use the tripe surgeon's for tippet to leader, slowly and carefully and have had good luck with them. Lately though I prefer a tippet ring with a clinch. I thought the Uni Knot was the Duncan Loop and I guess it is, it is a good knot too.