Best knots for 6x??

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Still using double and triple turn surgeons for tippet to leader with no problems. Uni knot for tying onto the fly. I'm usually very attentive to how I tie my knots and rarely have breakoffs. I once bought a different brand of apparently flawed tippet material and was breaking off on every fish --the breakoffs stopped after I tossed the bad stuff and went back to my regular tippet material. It's hard to bring oneself to change knots and brands when everything is working well, but I still like to experiment with different things and won't hesitate to change if I like something else well enough.

I've never tried the Orvis knot, so I'm going to give it a shot.

gadabout

Reaction score
For tying on a fly, I use either a Tweed Clinch, or an Improved Clinch. It’s more important to use an effective knot that you can tie in your sleep, over a knot that wins knot contests.

It’s also important to lubricate a knot with saliva prior to drawing it tight.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
i just use a double overhand know.. works well, never lost a fish to the knot.. to lube the knot , i use 'perrier ' :)....sorry this is from leader to tippet.... to the hook i just use a 5 turn clinch know.. dip it the water before i tighten it

fatbillybob

Reaction score
My knots always break on the hook set, it’s possible my issues are mechanical and not so much the knot. I very rarely have knots break when fighting fish (I only catch small fish so that helps.) I use a 4 wt rod for whatever that’s worth.
I started as a trout fishermen and learned the typical trout set. I'm now a traveling multi-species fisher and my hook setting is more varied, less violent, less hurried than my old trout set. Sometimes we get a little too excited.

Tony Blundetto

Reaction score
I started as a trout fishermen and learned the typical trout set. I'm now a traveling multi-species fisher and my hook setting is more varied, less violent, less hurried than my old trout set. Sometimes we get a little too excited.
The past two weekends I’ve really really slowed down my hook set and didn’t have any knot failures. Granted, I don’t think I set the hook a fish past the mid-teens, but I really think a less snappy hook set has made a big difference.

clsmith131

Reaction score
If you are only breaking on hook sets and not while fighting the fish, it's likely that all the knots that break on the hook set were bad knots and the ones that held were better. You probably have a technique issue. Most of my bad knots come from the cinching process. Heat generated while cinching will cause failure, and so will pinching. If your wraps overlap it could break, if you cinch too fast, or allow the wraps to tighten prematurely, it will fail. A little spit is key, but if you can't get consistent results, change knots. I use the San Diego Jam, easy knot, small tag, reliable. There are a lot of knots that claim 80 - 100% strength retention, but that only applies to perfectly tied knots.

Reactions: cjp

Acheron

Reaction score
If you are only breaking on hook sets and not while fighting the fish, it's likely that all the knots that break on the hook set were bad knots and the ones that held were better.
Another reason I've been using the 16-20/pitzen knot using hemostats. It is very consistent and you hear it click when it sets, otherwise it's a bad knot. I like that there is no guessing. With the improved clinch I was never 100% sure it was a good knot. I've been very happy using the 16-20 this year.

PEN|OUT

Reaction score
You're goung thru the eye twice on a size 20 with 6X?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
I never fish any hatches that require a hook smaller than a size 16, but I do fish many very technical waters that your chance of getting eaten is far better with 6x than 5x or in the case of some terrestrial fishing you are far better off with 5x than 3x or 4x and a palomar knot will greatly increase the overall strength of your connection to that fish, largely because the line is doubled over the eye of the hook in my opinion, which is a huge aid in preventing slippage of very thin diameter line with comparatively large diameter wire of the hook.

The keys to a great knot are 1) They don't slip and 2) They are not designed as such that simply pulling them tight damages the line, often times damage you cannot see and most folks don't even realize it is happening. A palomar knot addresses both of these issues and what you will find is that same tippet you have been using for a long time, is stronger than it was when you were using inferior knots.

I am assuming you realize this, but you don't have to stick the line through the eye of the hook doubled over, you stick it through in one direction and then stick it back through going the opposite direction and voila, you have a doubled over section to begin your palomar knot with.

The only downside to a palomar knot is, you end up using more tippet because it requires more line to work with to tie so you get a longer tag end typically that just goes to waste. The other downside is obviously, it isn't a loop knot so some techniques would best be served with a different knot.

Vic_can

Reaction score
Friend showed me the Davy knot while nymphing and really liked the size. Only thing is I’m not crazy about it on the point fly. I like that to be my weakest point just incase I snag and need to break it off.

johan851

Reaction score
A little spit is key, but if you can't get consistent results, change knots. I use the San Diego Jam, easy knot, small tag, reliable. There are a lot of knots that claim 80 - 100% strength retention, but that only applies to perfectly tied knots.
Well said. After tons of practice with the improved clinch and still seeing occasional failures (usually while tightening) I've used the Orvis knot on the last couple of outings. Tying and tightening seems more reliable. Now I need to catch a stupid fish on it.

osseous

Reaction score
Friend showed me the Davy knot while nymphing and really liked the size. Only thing is I’m not crazy about it on the point fly. I like that to be my weakest point just incase I snag and need to break it off.
If you like weak, the Davy knot is perfect

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk