Best Non Clickers

zonk1085

Reaction score
I'm looking into gifting my brother a spey outfit for his 50th birthday. Any recommendations on a high end disk drag reel? In terms of price I'm willing to go up to a Nautilus, Hatch, etc. but not up to something like a Saracione. Anticipate this will be hanging off a Winston 7133 AIR TH. Also expect this will be his one and only spey outfit for the next 20 years so needs to be versatile - Atlantics in Eastern Canada and early Kings and dropback Steelies on the Salmon River NY.

Thanks in advance.

jjcm

Reaction score
The Silver King might be a good option. I have a CCF-X2 for salmon/steelhead and am happy with it. Not sure what weight is ideal on an AIR TH rod for balance and that.

flytie09

Reaction score
A Loop Classic or Hardy Cascapedia are two to check out. If he might like the more traditional look. It's hard to go wrong with a Nautilus or Hatch reel. Abel always gets high marks as well with tons of customization. Just some ideas.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I know NOTHING about two hand/spey rods, but...

1. I own several (actually, more than several) Danielssons and think they are terrific. When I was first researching them, many of the posts I came across elsewhere were from people who used them for spey. The ordering process is very smooth and you can pay in US dollars (company is in Sweden). Each time I've ordered the reels have essentially shipped the same day (I ordered during their evening, and they were shipped out their next business day) and have arrived 6-9 days later.

2. I would take a look at the Speyco reel website. Not sure how adjustable the drag may be when on the water (not saying it isn't, but I think I recall reading something to that effect--just something you should look into if important), but they have that classic look without the huge price tag.

3. I'd also take a look at the Sage Spey reel. I think that bronze would look really nice paired with a Winston blank.

4. You are a wonderful brother! (y)

To be clear, in terms of 2 and 3 above I have no experience with them and so can't speak to their drags. I really just suggested them based on looks, price and. most importantly, because they have a full frame (as does the Danielsson). Maybe that's not essential, but I would think it would be desirable to keep the running line from slipping through--I switched to Danielssons for my shooting head streamer setups for that very reason.

Good luck.

Last edited:

COTater

Reaction score
I have become a Cheeky fan. They have a silent drag. Now I am not a spey caster at all but I have two cheeky reels. One I use on a 6 weight for streamers and it has been bulletproof and a fantastic reel.

huronfly

Reaction score
I'm a clicker fan so I have no experience with these but some non clicker spey reels I personally like(the looks) are Abel Spey, Lamson ARX4+, and Orvis battenkill V disk( I use the clicker model and love it). I have a cascapedia as well that I am sending in for service, as I have had drag issues, but that also may be user error-leaving the drag

Whichever reel you go with I would make sure it is a full cage model and probably no less than 9oz or so empty.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
My first experience with a disk drag salmon reel resulted in a lost fish and I thought I broke a finger. I landed the next fish but lots of screwing around adjusting the drag which you dont really want set tight anyway for surging fish and the optimal pressure was the same as a clicker reel so I learned one big important thing. Disk drags are not for me, too many years on clicker reels. I`m not going to sell my Sage reel at a loss so I guess I'll hang on to it but yeah it will be my first and last disk drag reel. I like a little line burn after a good fish.

serengeti

Reaction score
Danielsson L5W 8twelve or the H5D 9thierteen. Excellent reels. I use the 8twelve on a 13 foot 8 weight spey rod.

Leo

coug

Reaction score
Hardy and Abel are bulletproof. I have them and recommend without any hesitation. I do not have any experience with speyco, but some seem to like them. I almost pulled the trigger on a farlex but decided I needed a trout reel instead. My local shop in peck Idaho sells them, and Poppy would not offer them unless they were great reels.

Oregonipa

Reaction score
I'm not aware of any Speyco reels that are easily "river adjustable". You need to take the reel apart, get out the socket set, and adjust the number of springs that are engaged in order to adjust the tension. Also, consider when you need it, I ordered one in February and... Abels are great, so are Hardy reels. Maybe save a few bucks even and get a Battenkill Disc Spey?? Like Unknownflyman, I ditched all my disc drag reels for clickers when I realized the drag spent 98% of the time set to about the same tension as a clicker (try pulling mono off a reel with the drag set too tight).

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny that you found this and bumped it back to life Steve, I was about to say that while I don't know if they are considered 'high end' reels the Spectrum Max series seem very well made and have worked fine for me. Of course there are other ways to go high end, I use either a Hardy Taupo or an old JLH for my reel but sunk the money into the rod.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Yeah I didnt bump it back up, I just saw it there at the top of the list and was backing up what huron fly wrote. I think the Sage reels are of good quality, mine is, its just that I thought I had to have one and low and behold, it wasn't for me and it wasn't easier than a clicker style reel for me.

mikew1959

Reaction score
Solitude
They come up on eBay all the time excellent reel
There was a Samon model on there just the other day
I picked up a number 2 a while back for $200
Look like it’s never been fished.