Best Skagit I own;

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you must have a Skagit line (I have 2) I'm just posting to tell everyone that you can order a custom Skagit from Steve Godshall at the >>>>>> R.B. Meiser Rod Shop

By custom I mean either you state the length and weight or just tell Steve what rod and let him figure things out.

The thing I love is that they are Integrated Lines, the running / shooting line is fused right on the head with no loop to loop connection like my RIO Skagit Max has.

I have a 525 he made me for a Sage X rod and actually like the line :)

eastfly66

Reaction score
Great , now your a skagit fan. I had everyone labeled here as to who likes what and you go and change things up ! You know Ard, old farts like me don't deal with change very well :)

ddb

Reaction score
Ard,

Amen!

Steve has intimate knowledge of most rod blanks in the custom rod business and can make them sing with a purpose built line for your particular needs. He really is in top form with 2-handers.

I'm glad to hear that they stand up to your heavy duty use.

ddb

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Great , now your a skagit fan. I had everyone labeled here as to who likes what and you go and change things up ! You know Ard, old farts like me don't deal with change very well :)
Don't fall for it Paul, it may be a trap. I was waiting for the punch line. Something like "skagit lines ain't much good for fishin'... but I pulled some guy's car out of a ditch with one just last week". :)

I have a couple Godshall skagit heads, long skagit by today's standards. It was a package of two heads and one of his running lines so I am still using a loop to loop connection. It served a useful purpose as I own only one spey sized reel and both a spey and a switch rod. I think I would prefer an integrated line in the end, for the spey rod anyway. The switch is probably going to be multi-species forever and more flexibility is needed unless I start a spey reel collection.

Anyway I am a Steve Godshall fan. He'll invest a generous amount of time designing your line to fit your needs. I am very pleased with what he sold me for a fair price. He is one of the good guys in this sport.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Don't fall for it Paul, it may be a trap. I was waiting for the punch line. Something like "skagit lines ain't much good for fishin'... but I pulled some guy's car out of a ditch with one just last week". :)

I have a couple Godshall skagit heads, long skagit by today's standards. It was a package of two heads and one of his running lines so I am still using a loop to loop connection. It served a useful purpose as I own only one spey sized reel and both a spey and a switch rod. I think I would prefer an integrated line in the end, for the spey rod anyway. The switch is probably going to be multi-species forever and more flexibility is needed unless I start a spey reel collection.

Anyway I am a Steve Godshall fan. He'll invest a generous amount of time designing your line to fit your needs. I am very pleased with what he sold me for a fair price. He is one of the good guys in this sport.
Good catch Dewayne ! It is probably another one of those "Ardster pranks" :) I've been wanting to try one of Steve's lines but can't seem to be able to define for him what exactly I want to do, maybe this integreated skagits is the ticket.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I should really get one of these for my switch rod because I don't like the knot either and stripping up close. I don't know if one line is going to fit my needs as I fish floating tips and dry fly skaters on one head turning a skagit into a scandi if you will and another head for T-14 and red squirrel size flies on another. Of course I have two spey reels now, one could be heads and another could be integrated lines but I have to ask, what makes the lines so much better then say a switch chucker or something like that?

I was thinking my 4" scandi speyco reel would be on my 12-13` rods and my 4" Sage spey would just stay on my Sage Switches. I suppose I could buy more spools but I really don't want to buy more spey reels I don't need any. Even buying another couple of spools for each is another 500 bucks.

I guess I could just keep the integrated line on the 4" Sage and maybe one line could be a dry line and sink tip line. I dunno head systems is kinda how I roll.

Will I like it more? will it be more useful? only way to know is to try I guess. Welcome to my inner monologue.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The reality is a lot of the popular fly rods are well researched and you can get the line you need pretty easy off the shelf. You already know that Steve. The Beulah Elixir line was designed for my rods but I just had to be weird and cast heavier stuff with it. Steve's buddy R.B Meiser actually designed my rod for Beulah so it was just obvious who I should ask. At the end of the day the cost is virtually the same, and you get to tweak your line a bit. He is very familiar with the popular rods of the PNW. Godshall's customer service is over the top personalized.