Best starter rod outfit

Which starter outfit would you choose on a budget?

• Total voters

jc10

Reaction score
Hello,
My apologies for the very tardy response, but I just caught up with your post. My wife and I located to Wakefield (from Springfield, MA) in January, 2018. We love it here, very glad we made the decision to move here. Took up fly fishing this year and I must say it's been slow for striper fishing so far, but we have a lot of time left.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Wakefield, RI? Great place. I grew up in Cranston, and we spend a week in Narragansett every summer. Caught a lot of bluefish in kayaks a couple of weeks ago, just off Pier 5. Saw a seal out there, I think unusual this time of year. Check out the salt ponds in Charlestown. We spent a day there and it was kind of frustrating. Stripers were everywhere, swimming under the kayaks, practically bumping our legs when we were wading. But they wouldn't touch a fly or lure (my brother was using a spinning rod). There were huge schools of tiny baitfish and the stripers were busting those everywhere.

bigspencer

Reaction score
A ~55yo Shakespeare wonderrod(glass). A few of the glass rods of years gone by were pretty darn nice. The fiberglass was wound without any additional layers....similar to the Scott's carbon graphite designs of today....and fiberglass is inherently slower, more medium linespeed with the same type stiffness but with more of a progressive flex all through the rod's length, except for rods 6wt and above...which were indeed heavier.
They made a 7'6" 4wt that was so light yet had a crisp action.....I just couldn't find a reel light enough for it, but of course I was just approaching my early teens and there weren't many ways to go shopping with ~$25max :D