Best underwear bottoms for tube fishing coldwater lakes

tpo

Reaction score
I wear fleece wader pants with stirrup feet (one from Cabelas years ago and a newer pair from Redington), and underneath them I wear a pair of thin thermal pants (think they are called 32 degree pants, the wife got 'em at Costco for skiing) which seems to help a lot. I always wear neoprene waders and neoprene booties when tubing cold water. We had an unusually warm February and I was out late in the month in 40 degree water for several hours and stayed pretty warm.

justahack

Reaction score
Depends on approach. If the lake is near the truck, cotton sweat pants. If it's a multi-mile hike, medium weight polypro long johns. I know the water temp is the same in both settings, but I hike in johns under shorts, whereas I'll drive in cotton sweats. Either way, I kick harder or beach the tube if it gets too cold. Been many years since that's happened.

desmobob

Reaction score
I have a couple of pairs of the military surplus arctic weight long johns. They are light as a feather, thick, and warm. I wish they had stirrups but what I do to help keep them in place is put my thin polypro liner socks on first, then the long johns, then my thick wool/polypro stocks, trapping the long johns between the two pairs of socks. Works great.

I was wearing them today and was in the float tube for six hours this morning with my leaky old waders taking on water the whole time. It has only been a couple of weeks since ice-out. I was wet up to both thighs but still comfortable.

guido

Reaction score
It depends on how much of you is in the water. My current tube has high seating so only below the knee is below the water line so tall wool ski socks do the trick even with my Orvis Ultralights with neoprene booties in 45 degree water. If you have the older style "full immersion" seating then full neo waders with fleece layers is required.

quattro

Reaction score
I wear long Jons. For winter wading I really like these nano-air pants.

JoJer

Reaction score
I have a couple of pairs of the military surplus arctic weight long johns. They are light as a feather, thick, and warm. I wish they had stirrups but what I do to help keep them in place is put my thin polypro liner socks on first, then the long johns, then my thick wool/polypro stocks, trapping the long johns between the two pairs of socks. Works great.

I was wearing them today and was in the float tube for six hours this morning with my leaky old waders taking on water the whole time. It has only been a couple of weeks since ice-out. I was wet up to both thighs but still comfortable.
I several pairs of GI cold weather gear, and some after market fleece sweats. For the pants with no stirrups, I put the pants on over the sox, then use an old pair of blousing bands to make sure they stay put. The wide velcro jobs, not the cheezy green rubber bands.

dharkin

Reaction score
I have a Fish Cat tube that keeps most of my body out of the water these days, but have used these from LL Bean for October wading in Monatana. I like the foot loops because I can slip my waders on very easily without the need of tucking them into my socks or some kind of strap or velcro. With tubes in my past, that exposed more of my body to the water, I used military wool pants and wool socks. That setup worked well for me, just a little bulky.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/393...05_test&SS2=A&SN3=FindabilityProd07_Cat&SS3=B

skunkedalot

Reaction score
I do a lot of float tubing- as someone said, poly pro long underwear. I wear the heavy weight version. Pair of neopreme 5 mm waders.
you will be fine and the polypro wick away moisture. Recommend washing waders with warm water and ivory soap or similar mild soap and let dry.
keeps the moisture smells at bay.

Reaction score
It depends on how much of you is in the water. My current tube has high seating so only below the knee is below the water line so tall wool ski socks do the trick even with my Orvis Ultralights with neoprene booties in 45 degree water. If you have the older style "full immersion" seating then full neo waders with fleece layers is required.
Guido.....I am curious of what tube you have that has nice high seating? Thanks

Reaction score
I am curious what others like to keep warm inside waders when tube fishing cold high mountain trout lakes.
Patagonia puts out a Nanopuff pant that works great. Problem is they are expensive but fly shops often discount these. A pair of merino wool long johns underneath will have you really warm. Used this many times when water temps in low 40's when in a tube or up in BC when it's cold. Expensive but will last forever.