Best UV light for fly tying

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
What is the best and inexpensive UV light for fly tying? I have seen pen lights on Ebay for as little as $4 but are they any good? Cabelas has one for $9.99 but is it any good?

okaloosa

Reaction score
contact silver creek here on the forum.
I wont be the only one to tell you that he will set you up with whatever you need concerning UV activated hardeners and lights at a very reasonable price...
I doubt he is getting rich from it and provides very valuable information concerning how to use these products and lights.

karstopo

Reaction score
I use the same one that flytire mentions in post #5 in the linked thread above. The 21 light one. I have heard Craftsman makes a good one.

The sun works really well here at 29 degrees north latitude. The UV from the sun does take a little longer to cure the resin than a good UV light with fresh batteries held very close to the fly. The sun produces a tack free cure for me, something that from what I’ve have read appears to be an issue with some resins combined with some lights. .

spm

Reaction score
contact silver creek here on the forum.
I wont be the only one to tell you that he will set you up with whatever you need concerning UV activated hardeners and lights at a very reasonable price...
I doubt he is getting rich from it and provides very valuable information concerning how to use these products and lights.
What he said.
I have two of Silver's lights and also use his resin. Very happy with everything.

steve

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I have a Utilitech UV flashlight I bought at Lowe's a couple of years ago for something like $8. I've also seen them on the Big Auction Site for $5.99. Mine works just fine. Home Depot probably carries something similar. I don't see the need to shell out 4 or 5 times that amount for something that cures a drop of resin 3 seconds faster, but then again, I don't have any Abel nippers either.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I have a Utilitech UV flashlight I bought at Lowe's a couple of years ago for something like $8. I've also seen them on the Big Auction Site for $5.99. Mine works just fine. Home Depot probably carries something similar. I don't see the need to shell out 4 or 5 times that amount for something that cures a drop of resin 3 seconds faster, but then again, I don't have any Abel nippers either.
I use this same light and it does what i need it to do.

dennyk

Reaction score
I never knew Silver Creek sold UV lights and resins. If I would have before I got mine I would have looked into his products first.

Anyway, what I have been using pretty much on a daily basis is a Loon Rechargeable Infinity light. Way brighter then the battery operated counterparts. I use the light along with the Loon resins. The light is probably more then you want to spend but for me after owning the battery operated lights was worth every penny-($60). I've had this light for a couple years now and with nearly daily use I've recharged it once.

Loon UV Infiniti Light Rechargeable High Powered Fly Tying – Nomad Anglers

Denny

drakeking412

Reaction score
is silver creek still around? I need a light and resins and was going to buy loon as thats all I've really heard about but I'd like to buy from him if possible

mudduck

Reaction score
Ive used the multi LED ones but they take a bit longer than Id like. I found this one and it is amazing. Its not even a contest vs the other ones. It uses a 18650 rechargeable battery as opposed to AAAs/AAs and puts out more power. Hardens the cement almost instantly and cures by 10 seconds. At $17 its much cheaper than any thing sold by fly shops.

EDIT: I just realized this thread is nearly a year old.

harris024

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I am trying to get into contact with silver creek, but the forum requires 50 (I think?) posts to send a PM. Wanted to get the light and resin as a Christmas gift. Can anyone PM his contact info (or if you see this silver, please contact me)? It would be very much appreciated by me and my fly tying buddy! Thanks!

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I am trying to get into contact with silver creek, but the forum requires 50 (I think?) posts to send a PM. Wanted to get the light and resin as a Christmas gift. Can anyone PM his contact info (or if you see this silver, please contact me)? It would be very much appreciated by me and my fly tying buddy! Thanks!
I will send Silver a PM with your screen name to tell him you want to make an order. I am sure he will be back with you.

Don

silver creek

Reaction score
I gotcha Harris. Don sent me a PM.

I still sell lights and resins. All my resins cure tack free, crystal clear, and my newest is shatter resistance as well.

Trouttemptation

Reaction score
I too would like to connect Silver Creek but just now joined the forum. I've been tying for about 15 years and haven't found a resin or light that is satisfactory. You all rave about Mr. SC and I'd like to try his formula. Can anyone help me?

okaloosa

Reaction score
I too would like to connect Silver Creek but just now joined the forum. I've been tying for about 15 years and haven't found a resin or light that is satisfactory. You all rave about Mr. SC and I'd like to try his formula. Can anyone help me?
actually Dr. SC ;)

silver creek

Reaction score
I sent you a private message. I will send you information once I get you email address.

thetwood

Reaction score
Hey Silver Creek, I'm in the same boat of being new here but looking for resin. If you see this an can message me I'd much appreciate it.