Best wade fishing net for the money?

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Been using a pretty small net and looking to upgrade to something larger and with a rubber net. Seems the Nomad Mid or Emerger get the best reviews but they sure aren’t cheap. I understand that you get what you pay for but is there anything else out there that is good quality and less expensive? Looking for a little bit of an extended handle as my short handled net is an issue when landing fish and I will be getting into the euro nymphing soon so imagine it would only be worse with the longer rod. Most fish are going to be well under 18”. Thanks in advance. Mike

Reactions: Ard

jwbowen

Reaction score
Sierra trading has some carbon wetfly nets on sale. Brodin carbon nets were on sale earlier on
several sites. The Brodin I have used and was happy with the quality.

osseous

Reaction score
The Rising nets are good for wading- not so much for floating- since they sink

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

omas

Reaction score
Another approach: Make your own. I went on Ebay and bought a replacement basket (net) for a fishpond mid-length net (at the time it was around $15). Then I went to my local sporting goods store and bought and aluminum net that was about the same size as the mid-length net ($6 on sale) . Most of these nets the net hoop is held in place by 2 screws. I removed the hoop from the handle, then the net from the hoop. Got a can of Great Stuff spay foam, filled the hoop, which is hollow and the handle which is also hollow with the spay foam. Installed the replacement net on the hoop and reassembled the hoop and handle. You now have a floating for under $30 or less.Screenshot_20200605-173550_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

hiplainsdrifter

Reaction score
I have the same strategy as omas, but I prefer a smaller net for wading in rougher terrain. I used the small replacement Nomad net and a racquetball racquet. You can use the holes in the racquet frame to lace in the net. It looks and works just as good as a new Nomad, and saves you about 100 bucks.

MikeStaten

Reaction score
I have the same strategy as omas, but I prefer a smaller net for wading in rougher terrain. I used the small replacement Nomad net and a racquetball racquet. You can use the holes in the racquet frame to lace in the net. It looks and works just as good as a new Nomad, and saves you about 100 bucks.
that’s a great idea!!

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are more intuitive and inventive than I am by a mile!

The only nets I have are a couple Nomad long handle nets and a little Brodin but as the OP said they aren't an affordable net.

Some slick thinkers here (y)

justahack

Reaction score
Mike,
I have a friend who uses one of those tennis racquet nets. It works really well. Before I splurged on the fishpond mid length, I used a $20 hand net with rubber coated mesh by Frabil. I still have that net and it works fine. I got the fishpond for the longer handle. My solution is less crafty than those from omas and highplainsdrifter.

plecain

Reaction score
I bought a (Cortland I think) net at Walmart, replaced the bag with a good rubber one, and refinished the wood (sand, urethane).

A little bit of effort, but it works as well as the Brodin I have. It's just a lot smaller, which was the reason for getting it.

omas

Reaction score
The net I made has 2 screws that hold the handle to the hoop. Remove them and you can remove the handle, then both parts can fit into a carry on bag.

dougcarver

Reaction score
Been using a pretty small net and looking to upgrade to something larger and with a rubber net. Seems the Nomad Mid or Emerger get the best reviews but they sure aren’t cheap. I understand that you get what you pay for but is there anything else out there that is good quality and less expensive? Looking for a little bit of an extended handle as my short handled net is an issue when landing fish and I will be getting into the euro nymphing soon so imagine it would only be worse with the longer rod. Most fish are going to be well under 18”. Thanks in advance. Mike
you can buy an inexpensive wood net with older type mesh or even a used one and get a replacement rubber mesh for short money. String it with mono or old fly line and you have what you want for under 30 bucks easily. I ve done 2 and have no regrets. As for handle length, get a ;piece of plastice or aluminum pipe and make a sleeve you can slide over the wood handle. You can make it adjustable with a clevis pin or sex bolt or any such thing and not have to have multiple nets. The fish don't know the difference from an orvis to a simms to a yard sale net. Big nets can get in the way of fishing some times when wading.

hollisd

Reaction score
Honestly anything. The larger the fish the more a net matters but under 18" you're not going to get into situations where e.g. a longer handle is a critical advantage. I would choose based more on how you plan to carry it or I have a Blue Ribbon landing net with Be Optimistic etched in wood which is priceless around last cast.

joshw

Reaction score
Frabill has some rubber dipped trout nets that work well. I’ve had one for a couple seasons and it has held up great and less than 30$!

drakeking412

Reaction score
The Frabill dipped ones aren't bad for the price but are heavy. The DIY tennis racket ones are nice but require some effort and aren't as purpose driven I find but it is nice as a backup for a friend. Still though the only choice for me is my nomad mid length. I know the price is high but post knee surgery it seemed the right move and I called it my best purchase that year. I love the thing, it makes life easy when netting fish especially large fish. I'll note I double duty it and use it steelhead fishing also.

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
Check out Catch Cam Nets. The nets look awesome, price is reasonable, and they sell a quick release belt or pack attachment that is seriously awesome!

frickerdog

Reaction score
At the suggestion of others in this thread, I made my own. I bought a net for $2 at a garage sale, bought new rubber netting for $15 on Amazon and restrung it. The result is pretty cool, and works great. 7A945B1B-1F03-4AE7-B86C-A7F97E0FCC4F.jpeg