Best way to separate 3 piece rod for travel? (Reel already setup with fly on line)

spokanedude

Reaction score
I have a 3 piece 7' 6" Butter Stick rod that I am going to take fishing tomorrow on my pontoon boat. I have a p/u truck with a 5' bed and I don't want to carry the rod hanging out the back end. To save time, I setup the reel with line, leader, tippet and fly. So, is there a correct way to separate the rod into 3 pieces so that it's quick to re-assemble when I get to the lake? Rubber bands? or?

TIA... SpokaneDude

trev

Reaction score
You probably don't want to hear what I'll tell you, but, I'm an old guy that has broken more than my share of rods by being in a hurry; so, it takes just as long to tie the knots at home as it does to tie them on the boat, it takes just as long to string up the rod at home as it does on the boat. Now in addition to that time we add the time used taking the rod apart after stringing it up and the time untangling the mess and putting the rod back together at the boat and there is a net time loss.
Between the house and the boat there are almost a million hazards that can and eventually will ruin your rod and line. I learned after 7-8 years and 8-12 fly rods that the only safe way to transport any fly rod is broke down and cased. the up side to this is that you will get to buy a new rod every now and then and we can always claim "accident".
eta; oh by the way if you want more boat time, I eventually learned that the key is to get up earlier.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
What trev said. I enjoy the ritual of setting up and breaking down on the tailgate. I have a friend who uses hair bands. His rods and reels are beat up from riding in the bed. Mine all look loved and clean.

Reactions: spm

Oregonipa

Reaction score
You could try hooking the fly on the lowest guide on the top section. Then undo the top section, fold it down, and lay the rod from the back corner of your bed to the opposite front corner. Then set your vest or a blanket on the rod to keep it from bouncing around. However, I think the above recommendations are the prudent ones.

LOC

Reaction score
I have a 3 piece 7' 6" Butter Stick rod that I am going to take fishing tomorrow on my pontoon boat. I have a p/u truck with a 5' bed and I don't want to carry the rod hanging out the back end. To save time, I setup the reel with line, leader, tippet and fly. So, is there a correct way to separate the rod into 3 pieces so that it's quick to re-assemble when I get to the lake? Rubber bands? or?

TIA... SpokaneDude
Yes, wind the fly into the tip top. Break the fly rod at the top third section and fold over.
Place in truck bed.
Additional tip, you should sandwich the rod between a cheap packing blanket or some other type of padding.
You don't want it rattling around like a bunch of loose Pliny.

spokanedude

Reaction score
Thanks everybody... some of the answers gave me some ideas... haven't decided which to use, but for sure I will have it covered in something so I don't ruin it...

spokanedude

Reaction score
As you said: EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and not as expensive as I thought it would be.. thank you so much... never knew about them,.,..

SD

fatbillybob

Reaction score

These are the next best thing to a rod tube.

silver creek

Reaction score
First of all you need a rod/reel tube like the ones below. I knew the owner of DBDunn so I have about 10 of these things in various sizes and lengths.

Reel the fly up to the tip top. If it will fit through the top guide, bring in through so the fly is hooked to the tip top guide.

Break the down and fold the section up with the rod threaded up like an accordion. You will need to cover the tip top and the fly with masking tape so the hook of the fly cannot get hooked on the inside of the rod tube. With a 3 piece rod, the tip top will at the top of tube and you don't want the fly hook to get snagged on the fabric.

The alternative is to fold the rod sections so the tip top is at the butt end of the fly rod. There will be a loose section of fly line between the tip top and middle section if you use this method but then you will not need to cover the fly hook because it will be at the bottom of the rod tube and accessible to you,

Now slip the folded rod into the rod reel tube.

fr8dog

Reaction score
I take off the top 1/3 then hook the fly on the reel seat and take up the slack. I got a bunch of these mesh stick jackets from WM for $.50.

14C729D7-844F-4B4C-A5AE-D394A7BB8F38.jpegCFA336B3-E572-4D92-AE86-CCBA9EB2BFA6.jpeg

herkileez

Business Member
Reaction score
I almost always arrive at my fishing destination with my rod all rigged up, including fly. Nothing worse than waiting for a partner to uncase, and assemble from scratch, every component...rod/reel/tip/tippet/fly at the fishing site..... like watching Mr Bean open his own Xmas presents.
I never throw a bare rod into the back of my pickup...I always slide it into a rod/reel case, making sure to have the fly in the top guide and at the Butt end...nothing worse (next to Mr Bean) than having your fly hook into the bottom end of your rod case....ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

falconer57

Reaction score
My town is full of pickup trucks with toppers, racks and full-length rod cases on top. Kinda spendy though. I also have a topper on my truck and I sometimes put the rod thru the rear windows, protected by a short section of pipe insulation and a reel case on. All the Abel reel cases are meant to be used with the rod attached.

desmobob

Reaction score
I bought one of those Dunn's cases many years ago... it holds two rigged two-piece rods. I used it for a short time and it never really grew on me.

These days, I either rig up streamside or if I'm hopping from spot to spot by car, keep my rod rigged/assembled (I can fit a nine-footer in my my Subaru Forester).