Big fish bends a 9wt

hogwild

Reaction score
Would have loved to seen you land that monster. I assume that’s a Echo BAG rod, correct? I’ve got an 8wt version that I’m dying to get out on the water and catch me something, anything. Thanks for sharing!

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
Would have loved to seen you land that monster. I assume that’s a Echo BAG rod, correct? I’ve got an 8wt version that I’m dying to get out on the water and catch me something, anything. Thanks for sharing!
Yep echo BAG quickshot 9wt with an Orvis Hydros reel. I made an amateur mistake

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

okaloosa

Reaction score
not sure what your mistake was if any....hindsight is 20/20 .....fishing the surf is the most exhausting and frustrating type of fly fishing for me,,,,,my shoulder got sore watching you make all those false casts with a glass rod!

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
not sure what your mistake was if any....hindsight is 20/20 .....fishing the surf is the most exhausting and frustrating type of fly fishing for me,,,,,my shoulder got sore watching you make all those false casts with a glass rod!
The line sticks to the water a little more in the surf, I saw them feeding there and I stopped my truck. The glass is easier cast than graphite. Try getting a good glass rod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
My elbows get sore from casting a graphite rod a fast 8wt to a 10wt. I have both. The glass Echo rod is a machine. It doesn’t cast as far with bigger flies but it cast a Clouser the same distance as a graphite rod

okaloosa

Reaction score
The line sticks to the water a little more in the surf, I saw them feeding there and I stopped my truck. The glass is easier cast than graphite. Try getting a good glass rod

I started with glass in the 60's....I have an addiction to the lightest, fastest, and thinnest graphite rods made especially for salt water application involving big fast fish....
It may be easier for some to cast with glass but for me I never have to make anywhere as many false casts with a fast action graphite rod as with glass.
Maybe that would be different with a skagit line but with conventional WF line there is no way IMHO to generate the line speed with glass as with graphite. and it is line speed that
keeps one from having to do too many false casts...I can tell you that with sight fishing tarpon, jack crevalle, or bone fishing if you cant get that line out 60 - 70 feet or more with one or 2 false casts you are at a major disadvantage.

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
I started with glass in the 60's....I have an addiction to the lightest, fastest, and thinnest graphite rods made especially for salt water application involving big fast fish....
It may be easier for some to cast with glass but for me I never have to make anywhere as many false casts with a fast action graphite rod as with glass.
Maybe that would be different with a skagit line but with conventional WF line there is no way IMHO to generate the line speed with glass as with graphite. and it is line speed that
keeps one from having to do too many false casts...I can tell you that with sight fishing tarpon, jack crevalle, or bone fishing if you cant get that line out 60 - 70 feet or more with one or 2 false casts you are at a major disadvantage.
Surf casting is challenging and I have both graphite and glass rods, I got the glass 9wt to have a heavier rod, I think it gives me a mechanical advantage for some reason. I am not as fatigued casting this rod than an 8wt graphite rod. The surf doesn’t roll into the beach like it does on other beaches. I call it a toilet bowl surf here on the Texas coast, its very uneven. I casted a fly at Coco Beach Florida and didn’t even really get wet and used my graphite rod.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Surf casting is challenging and I have both graphite and glass rods, I got the glass 9wt to have a heavier rod, I think it gives me a mechanical advantage for some reason. I am not as fatigued casting this rod than an 8wt graphite rod. The surf doesn’t roll into the beach like it does on other beaches. I call it a toilet bowl surf here on the Texas coast, its very uneven. I casted a fly at Coco Beach Florida and didn’t even really get wet and used my graphite rod.

what I found most frustrating with surf fishing is how fast the surf washes my line back up.....always a constant battle especially because the bite always seemed better with a strong onshore wind...
was that really a speck you had on?

okaloosa

Reaction score
Yes it was a huge fish, normally they are wimpy fighters, but this one was a ball of muscle

I fished for specks for 28 yrs and never saw one bend a 9wt like that...what a hog. And so esdy to rip the fly out of their weak mouths esp with the surf making it difficult to finesse at all. If that video had audio i bet it would have made a truck driver blush with the choice words i would have losing a gator like that!

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
I fished for specks for 28 yrs and never saw one bend a 9wt like that...what a hog. And so esdy to rip the fly out of their weak mouths esp with the surf making it difficult to finesse at all. If that video had audio i bet it would have made a truck driver blush with the choice words i would have losing a gator like that!
I managed to say one F bomb but I bleeped it out, I show these videos to my mom. LOL

okaloosa

Reaction score
I managed to say one F bomb but I bleeped it out, I show these videos to my mom. LOL

I was born and raised in the Bronx..I drop the F-bomb when I am happy! If I lost that fish there would be words your mom never heard!!!!!!!!
from the video I thought that was a king mackerel....TO ME, there is no more impressive inshore fish than a huge gator trout...sure they aren't the best fighters and not the flashiest, but there are so few left on the grass beds suitable for fly fishing and those teeth!!!!!
and those fat bellies and big spots!!!!!