Black Fly Doubles;

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Same fly but on barbless #12 Patriot and I layered the wing for taper which is hard to see in the image but I'm good with them. Also got fancy and added the yellow silk head, I will get my heads scaled down I think, going to have a few more of these because I think they'll catch.

flytie09

Reaction score
That’s one of those flamethrower hairwings. Very well done and nice coloration. Should whack a trout or two.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I fished yesterday for the whole of the day coming home at nearly 9:30 PM. During the day that tiny black fly did the business and I was targeting trout not salmon. Trout or steelhead trout because I was doing old school trout Spey.

Old school trout Spey means you use your 1986 (I think) Orvis Light Salmon 8 weight rod. Those were 8 weight single hand rated line rods but can handle a steelhead or salmon up to 10 pound alright but not with ease. I used the small rod 9'10" and the tiny flies because there are king salmon up the river now that are getting ready to spawn. getting tangled up with a 25 pound fish would be a bad thing at this time so you hit the trout waters.

Here's the fly catching its breath between fish;

not much to it is there? But the fish were able to find that with no problems and I was fishing in a river not a creek. You may note by the delicate grip at the winding check that this is a light rod.

These are my favorite trout haunts although on any given day you may do well or find yourself convinced there aren't any fish in the whole river. I'm hoping for fair weather Monday for a return trip :)

Last edited:

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The farther you go Mike, it was quiet there. Monday if the weather is cooperative I'm taking a lunch and going for the record, meaning maybe 12 hours of river time. I spend some of my day just sitting in the boat watching things so if I'm out for 12 I usually fish for 8 of them. In the mean time I'm making some more of the little black flies and some using fiery brown with a bit of glitter.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Those are tiny. I did not know trout would take patterns like that. I guess mini-steelhead flys work on your basic trout?

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Billybob,

Is that your real name? Just asken, yeah the game right now is to show something that won't be of interest to salmon. As of yesterday I've not seen hide nor hair of a silver, a chum or a pink so all that's in the river are big old kings that have turned very dark red and are oaired up for spawning. The good news is that with the water clear and lowering you can see a king from 80 feet away due to the size and color of them. So, you just cast and fish as you would for trout and pay attention to where the fly is at. If you know it is near some kings you just let her swing but if you see one of those big dark forms move you pull the fly back and up quickly so you don't get mixed up with them.

It's just a matter of awareness and I've been at it long enough here that I have a program I adhere to when trout fishing. I'll post images of the flies I make for Monday, I'm gonna punch them up a little ;)

And Hey Tim! That's mile 14.5 on the river, so roughly 12 miles above where we fished the most.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another day spent in my happy place using the #12 Black barbless flies.

I did see that post asking about Russian River Rainbow fishing and will tell you that I would have to be paid a substantial sum of money before I would attend that freak show.

This is what I consider to be trout fishing. There are no guarantees, you have to know where to look for them and it helps if you know how to fish well. There are also zero people crowding you, no nitwits with slug guns or assault weapons slung over their shoulders or anyone else for that matter around at all. And me? I did it again, I spent a full 9 hours fishing places like that without having an over-watch armed with a 50 caliber sniper rifle while I fished in bear country! I don't know how I do it but the streak continues :oops: