Black Hills 2020

SDMT

Reaction score
Thought I'd start this. Just talk about, from, etc. the Black Hills. Anyone welcome to chime in.

SDMT

Reaction score
I'll make this a combination report.
What did you buy. Rod and reel. Am enjoying the rod. Really nice.
Fishing vehicle. Like how that tube goes in the drink holder in the door. Convenient. Good car.
Went fishing in Custer State Park. I can't walk much right now. Not doing good with an old lower back injury. Much pain in legs. But I still get out. There was (I think) a small Caddisfly hatch going on. Wings squared off in back. Reddish hair/legs. Either way. No fish surfacing. So I went with a hopper attractor. Got three of them to go for it. I only fished for about an hour. Legs couldn't take anymore.T4RR7Uv7RDawI+d1zon6cQ.jpg
XFnVI7vwQfqhgyZgOrYX6w.jpg
96kNYKc3SdOwA%LeNoai4w.jpg

djfan

Reaction score
I'll be heading up to Newcastle, Wy soon. I hope to fish while there. I'll post up my report then.

SDMT

Reaction score
I'd like it to be ok if we just talk. Centered on fly fishing the Hills. But can about ourselves. Etc. I didn't want this to be just a fishing report thread.

I live here. I've posted before on this site. Didn't fly fish for 18 years. Almost died from diabetes 20 years ago. I went to work as a truck driver, 3 years ago. Got held up in Montana on a delivery. So went on a float trip down the Bitterroot. Decided to get back into fly fishing.

That same place I went fishing in above post. I have literally slayed fish with a 1/32 ounce panther martin there. All but 2 casts all day caught a fish. I'm not interested in the most, or biggest. I'm interested in the experience of fishing. Where I go and enjoying fishing.

The rod I just bought is an example of enjoying fishing. I could have spent more. In hindsight. I have to agree with Scott's philosophy on rods. It's to make the best fishing rod. Not the longest caster, etc. I thoroughly enjoy casting that rod. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would buy a Scott rod.

I have a driving job now. I get home time alot. It's regional. Come home at least once a week. So I get a chance to fish here in the Black Hills. This same job does get me to Montana. I'm getting a one year non resident license there. My boss is agreeable. Can get free time up there to fish. Maybe go on a float trip, now and then, up there.

Oh... The Hills are opening up. Lotsa people out. Notice camp grounds. Gates are closed. But campers in there. Rationalize it's because they are keeping the campers spread out. They want control over the camp spots. Restaurants opening up. Things returning to normal. But not quite yet. Still much caution. Keeping distancing, etc.

LePetomane

Reaction score
It has been a while since I fished that area but I have always had good luck there. Dakota Angler and Outfitter is a good resource. I don't know if he is still there, but we went with a guide named Dave Gamet. I highly recommend him to anyone who travels to fish there.

pickadrake

Reaction score
I'm planning on making my first fly fishing trip to the Black Hills in the end of June. Excited to experience this fishery as I've heard good things about it. Can anyone recommend a good centrally located campground? I don't need anything fancy, but a bathroom would be handy. I'm pulling my pop up camper. I'm thinking west of Rapid City might be a good spot to work from. I plan on calling the guys at Dakota Angler for some ideas also. Thanks - Jeff

SDMT

Reaction score
I'm planning on making my first fly fishing trip to the Black Hills in the end of June. Excited to experience this fishery as I've heard good things about it. Can anyone recommend a good centrally located campground? I don't need anything fancy, but a bathroom would be handy. I'm pulling my pop up camper. I'm thinking west of Rapid City might be a good spot to work from. I plan on calling the guys at Dakota Angler for some ideas also. Thanks - Jeff
I'd say probably camp at or near Pactola. Look it up now for reservations.