Bling'd Martin 65 (or what happens when you can't go fishing)

swfl daz

Reaction score
I've been looking for a reel to use with my trusty old CGR once in a blue moon but didn't want to pay a lot for a reel that wasn't going to see a lot of use and that was going on a cheap rod. Sitting around the house the other day I remembered that I had picked up a few old and beat up reels a while back as part of a "grab bag" assortment (because it had a nice Gunnison in it that I really wanted). The reels were functional but not pretty and they ended up in a drawer.

Hmmm, what if...
So, out came the old reels - A scratched up black Martin 65 and an incredibly dirty Cortland clone. Tear down and clean up commenced, then I stripped the old paint off the Martin and hit the buffer with it. I was going to use the original spool, but after noticing that the spool on the Cortland looked to be the same size I figured I'd see how it cleaned up and if it'd fit - Yup, an exact match, and I like the contrast of the red over the old grooved bare aluminum of the original spool.

I know it's not for everybody and the purists will probably shudder at the reflective shine, but it was a fun project and now I've got something different that didn't really cost me anything but some time (Plus it balances my 7' CGR beautifully).

I also learned that reflective reels are difficult to photograph without looking dirty and scratched - Believe me, it looks much better in person.

DSCN2749_resize.JPGDSCN2755_resize.JPGDSCN2758_resize.JPGDSCN2757_resize.JPG.

Last edited:

jayr

Reaction score
I have the model 67 Martin. Those reels go incredibly cheap online and flea markets, but they're built fairly well and they work and they're pretty bullet proof just like the old Pfleugers.

Just like the Pflueger reels, they were painted and that is usually the weak link as far as looks. My thoughts are do what you did or paint them with some heavy duty grill spray paint or go whole hog and do some home anodizing to them.

Reactions: Ard

swfl daz

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am pleased with how it turned out and am wishing now that I had taken pics of the reels before I started on it but at that time I really didn't know where it was going...

Now I'm looking at other rough shape vintage reels differently.