Blue Halo Retroflex 3

Classtime

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the difference between the 5 weights? Fast vs. Slow.
I read the copy but still...Compared to each other would be easy but I have never cast either one. I was going to get a Proof but I think I will spring for the BH.

Thanks
Jeff

redietz

Reaction score
I've got the faster. I like it and used it a great deal over the winter. I wouldn't say it's super fast -- I've got other glass that are faster. I haven't cast the slower.

jpielock1992

Reaction score
The slow Blue Halos are like spaghetti.Really did not like it. Prefer an older 7'-7'6" Cortland or Fenwick 5/6 line and they are considerably cheaper and cooler! Wishin to be fishin.Chet

Classtime

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My inquiry was motivated by my inability to find a 4 piece graphite blank that had the traditional action of my 80s HMGs and J. Kennedy Fishers that was also within budget. Fiberglass seemed to be my only option. Then, joining this forum and reading, I got the courage to grab a used rod on eBay. In the end I won the auction and now I'm a little disappointed because while I was researching and planning and increasing my blank budget, I had settled on a Steffen 4/5.
Jeff

Reactions: Ard

jpielock1992

Reaction score
You can always sell the Steffen, cause lotsa people like those. Still I would go with a used Fenwick 7" 6" or Cortland.The Fenwicks are very easy to find ,even in mint condition for $125-$150. Cortlands for some reason ,much harder to find,probably because the older folks who have them arn't selling. Justa real sweet and easy rod to toss! Lot's like the older 7'-8' graphite Orvis' from the late 70's -early 90's .I prefer 2 piecers,don't do much traveling. They also seem to be bit more versatile, small stream to midsize stream , nymphs to streamers,whatever that means. I just like them. wishin to be fishin, Chet

Classtime

Reaction score
I had not ordered the Steffen yet. I was waiting to see how the auction went. Long ago, I traded my 8 foot fiberglass Fenwick for a couple of old Pfleugers. Then I attempted to replace it with an HMG in the same color, length and weight by building it with the same wraps, seat, and grip. Then, when I wasn't paying attention and with my line out on the water, a BONITO (a real bandito) took the HMG overboard. I'm still sad.