Bowline loop

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
I’ve been using a bowline loop for years on all my flies. It’s simple, strong and minimal waste of tippet. Tuff enough for big coho in Alaska. :cool:

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
7 & 8x! Great for dries like parachutes, it won’t capture any hackle fibers. Here’s a 5” Deceiver w/20 lb and a #16 midge emerger tied with 7x, I left the tag ends on showing how much tippet was used. Try one...you’ll like it!

661C2D9F-ED79-4285-89FA-22A5D0EDB97C.jpeg

trev

Reaction score
Bowline is known for working itself if loaded and unloaded and generally used with a long tag or a stopper, have you found that cutting the tag quite short that it stays tied?
I don't recall for sure but it seems to me that bowlines are only rated at 50-60% of line strength, reason I asked about tippet size, so you haven't had any problems with 7x breaking off?
I'm not a fan of loops, but I may try it just out of curiosity. Four loop to loops using bowline, perfection, non-slip and surgeon's loops pull with might and see what gives first.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Hi trev,
I leave a nub of a tag just so if it wants to cinch up tighter. Me break 7x....heck yes!! 🤪 Darn tuna hook set sometimes! As long as you have at least around 14” of tippet, it has give/stretch to it. Fishing chironomids and wet flies loops and extra life in your bugs with movement and wiggle. I’m happy with it, easy to tie so I use it on all. Just my .02