Branson in September

Red Owl

Reaction score
Never been trout fishing in Missouri or Arkansas. Will be in Branson about a week and trying to figure some options. There a few boat rental places- Bull Shoals below the Dame and Taneycomo. I could do that. I could wade but if the generators come on- I wouldn't know what to do- maybe switch to a nearby tributary? I want to try the North Fork in Missouri but I'm not sure if the access spots are for boats only or you can wade in the area. Any help, suggestions very much appreciated- as well as a few fly patterns.

silver creek

Reaction score
You can access the water below the dam at the boat ramp downstream of the fish hatchery. Check out the Google map below.

The fishing was mainly nymphing since the fish were stacked up at the water pipe outlet of the fish hatchery when I was there many years ago. I believe the regs require hard soled boots - no felt.

There are multiple fly shops in town.

For food I can recommend Danna's BBQ. Awesome food.

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-

Red Owl- The White River is pretty big, and depending on water releases, can be either flat low and wadeable or rolling right along with high water. There's a funky little on-line post by one of the lodges/guide services there- Lilley's One Cast. They have daily posts of how they're fishing and what they're catching- on the water. This might give you an idea of the fishing. There are some good trout there, but for a first trip, a guide and boat might be your best bet.
Good lcuk and let us know how your trip goes.

good day to all- Ed

markfrid

Reaction score
Mr Red Owl - Taneycomo is a great fishery. It regularly produces big fish. The problem is, if you want to wade fish you're totally at the mercy of how much water they're running. There is a schedule - it's highly unreliable. It's really just a matter of luck to find them running 0 or 1 unit, which will allow you to wade fish from the dam to maybe a half mile below the dam. The fish get fat on scuds - little bitty scuds. Imitations need to be in the #18 to 22's. They can be pretty picky about presentation - light leaders (6x) and good drifts right in front of their noses.

An alternative is a guided float fishing trip which can be very productive and instructive. There are several guide services which you can google. Another alternative is bring or rent a boat and fish farther below the dam in the quiet, deeper water. It's more like a lake than a river. Its hard to beat midge imitations in sizes 18-20 under an indicator. I know, its bobber fishing, but it's pretty effective.

Bring your golf clubs. There are a lot of great courses in the area.

Have a great trip! -Mark

brownbass

Reaction score
Red Owl,
River Run Outfitters, https://www.riverrunoutfitters.com/about/ is one of my club's sponsors. They can clue you in as to what the fish are hitting, scuds and midges are the main flies used but others work as well. If the Corp is releasing to much water to fish the area below the dam there is a State Park, Roaring River, within an hour's drive. It is a put and takes fishery but it is popular and shouldn't be too crowded at that time of year.

Bill

trev

Reaction score
Lilley's Landing as mentioned by Ed is probably the best source of up to the moment info on Taneycomo (and the region) https://lilleyslanding.com/
You can find water levels through USACE https://www.swl-wc.usace.army.mil/pages/data/tabular/htm/bulsdam.htm
The entire drainage has been extra wet for the last few years and though I don't keep track of it I suspect the entire Chain of Lakes is setting near full, I've read that the COE intends running lots water of through the end of November,
I guess you can expect the White below Bull to be running about 15,000CFS, they've been running between 10,000-20000 for a while.
RRSP mentioned by brownbass is one of my frequent hangouts, fishable almost anytime except after a downpour, it should be perfect in Sept. at 60-100CFS

huntschool

Reaction score
If you can put in a full day I would suggest you contact Larry Babin "hogs on the Fly" for a guided trip on the Norfork or the White depending on flows. He knows every rock in those and can put you on fish. If the flow is up it will likely be fishing under and indicator or a drop midge off a hopper but the fish are well worth your try....

This is not uncommon, My wife with Larry holding the fish. We are just below the dam on the Norfork: